can a women ovulate, if no menstrual bleeding??

D

dmestiza

hi all... i have polystic ovaries and i only have my period every 3 or 4 months per year.
My question is, is it possible that i am still "ovulating" whilst having very irregular periods like this?? please leave comments if you have conceived whilst having no/ few periods a year, or if you know any info on this.
-- i am currently taking 1000mg of metformin --

thanks in advance!!

:coffee:

If you're not getting a period that month then you didn't O, Unless you are already pregnant.
The reason your body has a period is because your body released an egg but it didn't get fertilized so there's no need for the uterine wall to stay in there. And hormones have a huge role in it as well.

Not common, but yes it can happen. It has happened to me- confirmed by a doctor. I had a bad ectopic though, with several surgeries, and what I would imagine was a lot of scarring. When your uterus has been scarred – as a result of a reproductive disease, a C-section, D&C procedure, or another medical procedure – the normal thickening and buildup of the uterine lining (which should happen after ovulation) doesn’t always occur. If this is the case, you may ovulate but have no period.

Your question's specifics are outside of my knowledge...can you make a consultation appt with a Dr and discuss everything? That seems like it would yield the best results for you!

Almost always if you ovulate and the egg isn't fertilized you get a period. If you didn't there would be a very rare circumstance and probably requiring a doctor as the pp indicated. She said she had an ectopic if I read correctly which meant the egg was fertilized and would explain why she didn't get a period. I would chart if you don't plan on getting tested regularly by a doctor so you can see if/when your body is trying to ovulate. Good luck

My bestfriend has always had abnormal cycles. She'd often have 3 periods a year and that's all. She hasn't had a period in the last 4 years and has a 2 year old son and is currently pregnant with a little girl due in about 2 weeks.

I guess she was ovulating without having a period. She hasn't had any fertility treatments or anything. Both babies were conceived by chance.

YES and that was me!
My doctor said I was like an mermaid my body would ovulate like clockwork but my lining never built up so I never got a period. And that's what they found wrong with me!!
They gave me estrogen and on the first month it worked!!

If you get your period 2, 3, or 4 times a year then you are probably ovulating 2, 3, or 4 times a year. Each time you've gotten a period chances are good that an egg was released 12 to 16 days prior to your period arriving. The thing that sucks about those long cycles is that it is hard to catch ovulation! I guess it is possible to just be shedding your lining after not having a cycle for so long but that may not be the case.

I also have PCOS and very irregular cycles. I conceived my daughter after day 100 of one of my cycles. Hadn't had a period in months but turns out we had intercourse at just the right time! Had we not had intercourse then I would have gotten a visit from AF shortly after that egg popped!

Anyway, now that I know my body better it is getting easier to catch ovulation. I track my BBT, cervical mucus and position as well as use OPK's. (TMI) I know that when my discharge turns from creamy to watery then I should start using OPK's as ovulation is nearing. Also, my cervix goes from easy to reach, hard and closed to higher, softer and you can feel it opening. Lastly, by doing BBT I can confirm whether or not I ovulated by a temperature shift.

Hahaha...sounds like a lot of work but there isn't really much else you can do until you get put on meds by a fertility doctor!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->