Canadian Moms & Moms to be!

I had an awesome foster mom. She was older and all her kids were grown. She was Christian but she was very sweet. There are not a lot of foster mothers (single ones at that) who want to take in teenage kids, let alone who do. She was very sweet to me, never yelled, even when I racked up her phone bill with calls to New York. I was placed into her care when I was 14 after I was sexually assaulted. My mom couldn't handle me acting out after that and asked CAS for help to get me into counselling, and that was their idea instead, throw me into foster care, then terminate my mothers parental rights and made me a Crown Ward two days before I turned 16 because they wouldn't be able to do it after my 16th birthday.

Anyway, I took advantage of how great she was to me, and royally screwed it up. I spent the next 4 years of my life jumping from foster home to foster home to group home, to another group home, back to a foster home, then another group home and so on. I did end up with my foster mother again and it was better the second time around, but CAS claimed that because I was "doing so well", I could move because they needed my spot for another girl.

Yeah, 14-20 were my hardest and worst years. A lot went on in those years between the group home jumps, but that's the main reason why I didn't get my high school diploma on time. I couldn't attend school when I was moving every 5-6 weeks.

I still keep in touch with my foster mother and she came to my wedding. She's also met Zoe. I feel horrible for how I treated her the first time around. She was amazing. The system, on the other hand, was not. I'm very critical of them.

My mom is a foster mom. I remember you telling me that before Tiff, so I was making a scrap book for the girls that my mom had for 5 years, and SS won't let us contact them so I will never be able to give it to them.

SS kind of sucks. A lot of times they are the ones that cause the problems. They jam houses so full of kids, say its temporary or an emergency, and then never come back for them. They also never pay my mom on time. They drop kids off with NOTHING. :(

That's awful Wendy! :nope:

It must be different in Alberta. In Ontario, Foster Parents and Birth Parents can actually go to CAS and drop off letters, notes, photos, etc into the child's "file" so when they turn 18 they can have it. Of course, there was nothing in my file. :lol:

To be fair, I don't know how many people know about that or if its just an Ontario thing. Could you contact the CAS that the children were adopted through and see if they do something like that? I was shocked when the CAS caseworker that I spoke with told me about it.

2 days until Christmas!!!! :xmas8: AND we got a very light dusting of snow. :haha: Hope it stays for the next two days!

I lost some faith in the system after my mom fostered. My mom fostered a relative's daughter for about 2 years . She only received tax benefits for her and after she was given back to her mom she contiued to let my mom have her every weekend for awhile to then cut off contact with us completely. SS say they can't do anything even though they let this little girl's life get cut off and say they don't agree with it. Normally she would have been put up for adoption after a year but since my mom was willing to keep her they decided to continue giving the mom chance after chance and then return her when she was making little to no effort to see her. My mom is now fighting with the governemt over having claimed her and having to prove she was in her care.

We also got snow today! :happydance: I hope it stays for Christmas!

Hearing horror stories like that about the foster system makes me terrified to become a foster mom. So many of the ladies in my church have at least one foster child and some of the stories are horrendous. I don't know how it's in the "best interest of the child" to be taken from a foster home they have lived in since birth after 10 years.

I really am sorry to hear the stories some of you had to go through.

hi ladies! hope you are all having a nice christmas eve eve... im getting tired of being pulled in 100 different directions to see family, and my husband makes matters worse by not wanting to do anything with anyone, and then taking a nap at 2pm MUST BE NICE!! :grr: GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :grr: :grr: :grr:

Merry Christmas from our family to yours!

https://sendables.jibjab.com/view/30Z09Y3y4TVyvdbK

They are still in foster care, they just were split up and moved into seperate homes after an incident regarding Helena. They think my mom is horrible for looking out for the interests of her grandchildren and should just have never had Helena back over into the house. *eyeroll* They didn't even do it gradually.

They let my mom write them ONE letter, that's all.

:hugs: Sara, I'd be frustrated too :(

:( Wendy that sounds awful

:hugs: Tiff

We've been busy here, we cleaned this morning, took the kiddo to art class this afternoon, and are now waiting on a pizza delivery for dinner :lol:

We actually don't have any plans for Christmas Eve or Christmas day, just doing stuff with the three of us :)

That's the best way Vickie!

Well I like doing stuff Christmas Eve, but I kinda like Christmas to just be my little fam, iykwim

Bought Helena, Elliot, Ashley (my sister), Christopher (my nephew) and Matthew (foster baby) all matching pajamas for tomorrow night :D Old Navy baby! $5.99!

omg that's amazing Wendy!!! Take pics for sure!!!

I have a jam-packed schedule for the next week and then I'm ready to have a baby :D

Hi ladies! :hi:

Just popping on to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!!!.
I have a very busy few days ahead of me so probably won't be on here, but I hope everyone enjoys their family time and stays safe! :hugs:

did our last minute shopping this morning... sadly enough it was tims gift to me. oh well... now we have crap to do all day.

i hope you all have a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS. im sure i will be on tomorrow at some point, tim and i get seem to get bored easily before dinner LOL

Super exciting Christmas Eve news you guys! Stiina had her little girl! :happydance:

Here's her message to you:
"We had a Christmas surprise! Stella was born today at about 9am. Could you tell the other girls please? Our midwife was at another birth and since we were 2 weeks early we came to the hospital but it was about as close to a homebirth as you can get!"

YAYYY!!! So excited for her, and what a gorgeous name! LOVE STELLA ALREADY! :)

Congratulations Stiina! What a beautiful name!

Merry Christmas Eve everyone!
Tonight we have church and some visiting. We have to pick up bacon for breakfast as it was overlooked, but I have all my cleaning done now since OH took B out for a few hours this morning, except for our bedroom and master bath. Still have to wrap OH's presents and stuff the stockings tonight as B's are all under the tree. So happy to be able to enjoy Christmas now!

Congrats Stiina on your Christmas Eve baby!! I had a feeling it was going to be a girl!! :cloud9: Love the name, enjoy your new family :hugs:

Merry Christmas Ladies!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->