Canadian Moms & Moms to be!

Hi Kate! I'm originally from a small town in Nova Scotia but I live in Ayrshire, Scotland now with my hubby and little boy, Jack.

No way, kate!
Where are you?
We'll have to get together for a Zoo meet! :)

Sara - we always do a pre-filing consult so that we can try to minimize damage, and yes, EI years can be brutal. I just found out that I got paid out over $16k in EI from Jan-Sept, and they deducted a whopping $185 in tax.
:shock:
Quoi???!!!!
I was under the impression that EI always deducted at least 10%. My accountant and I were both staring at my tax receipt in dismay. But, she gave us a couple of options with RRSP contributions that take the sting out. And as we file together, that does help.

Don't forget that you have Child Fitness and Arts credit (up to $500 each), so most activities can be claimed against your income. Plus up to $7000 in childcare expenses (everything from babysitting charges at the gym to your dayhome to pre-school can qualify).

:hi: Katie!

Have fun on your trip to Mexico!

After a great three year old day we were back to hellion mode today :haha: I am wondering if she's coming down with Stan's cold though :roll: She literally just got over her last one. I have a bit of sinus pressure tonight as well but it could be the front that moved in (I hope!) or his cold, we'll see I guess how we both feel tomorrow.

Good luck with your taxes Sara, I hope you don't have to pay back. We are waiting on a couple of more papers for ours before we can get them done. We did buy the software last weekend though, it was on sale at Wal-mart.

And yes definitely claim the fitness & arts credits etc. We didn't get much back from them last year but every little bit helps!

Good luck to everyone on your taxes! I know how you all feel, I don't make a lot of money but we get screwed every year anyways.

You ladies have me nervous now. Are you saying that being on may leave all year I'll probably owe cause they don't take enough off?

They only took 10% on my EI... But I do have some RRSP contributions to help, although I also pulled from my rrsp to pay off my truck :( so I'm gonna get SCREWED! I have the receipt for J's swimming I can deduct but that's about it. I hate doing our taxes :(

Sara - are you claiming anything for the work your husband does at home?

And yeah, hopeful :(
10% is less than the lowest tax bracket, so most people wind up owing unless they have planned very carefully! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - fingers crossed that this isn't your case.

Ugh taxes :ignore:

Having a rough no-one-should-have-two-babies-at-once sort of day. I just want a little breathing room, but newborns are so needy and two of them makes me feel a little suffocated sometimes. And the terrible twos really are starting to get terrible. I love my trio to pieces, but tonight I wish they would all go away for just an hour and leave me in peace!!!

Ok rant over

Sara - I am in High River...20 min. south of the Calgary. I just took my girls to the zoo this week to see the new penguins...what a line up!

Hi Katealim, Im sandra and live in Calgary also.

Taxes suck. Ive never had to pay but I have tuition credits and daycare. Plus I have missionary friends that we support so that also helps. Paying would totally suck!

Amanda- I hope you get some time to yourself.

Vickie- I hope Hannah doesn't get a cold.

Anna had vietnamese food for the first time today and loved it. She digs coconut rice and was chowing it down like crazy.
Ive been working on my year one photo book for Anna and its so hard picking the right pictures!

I only had to pay once because my employer didn't deduct enough for some reason.

Andrew paid in the past because his employer didn't deduct enough. We do pretty well though, have had refunds the last 2 years. Should have had more but Andrew is dumb and lazy about receipts!!

So good news - my swelling's nearly gone. But because it was still pretty bad last week, my cast is now too big, it's very uncomfortable and pain is increasing after getting to a manageable level. So I am getting a new one.. Monday at the latest. I am so done with this situation... I want to read a book but I can't hold it open. Wanted to do the crossword I do every Saturday and I can't write. Couldn't put cream cheese on my bagel etc. I feel like I am being dramatic and complaining a lot but this sucks soooooooooooo much!! And you know ONE other manager has bothered to see how I am.. not the store manger, operations consultant, owners... I am wanting to find a new job tbh or take an extended break..

Hope everyone is sleeping well tn :hugs:

:( You aren't being dramatic hun, those are normal everyday things that you can't do anymore. Not to mention you're fiercely independent... so having to get everyone to help you with things probably isn't good for your mojo either, iykwim? :hugs: Complain away!

As for your work? :nope: Unreal. The same thing happened to me when I went on sick leave at my work. My crew would inquire from time to time but any of the management basically acted like I didn't exist. I think they were pissed because me being off work made it more frustrating for them. People really need to start pulling their heads outta their asses. :hugs:

Stan's mom is a former accountant so she helped Stan set up all of his stuff for work that we pay the maximum in (I really don't know how it all works here) and generally end up overpaying thank goodness so we haven't had to pay in yet......

Stan is anal about keeping receipts :rofl: Like seriously anal :haha: We keep receipts for every little bitty thing.

:hugs: Tasha I hope that the new cast is more comfortable. You aren't being a drama queen. It's hard having to rely on other people for things that you should be able to do for yourself.

Sorry to hear that the managers at your work are acting like that :(

Not much going on here today. Stan was up a lot last night and woke me up :sleep: but we're still going to get the cleaning done. MIL is supposed to drop by Hannah's old swing at some point in time today. Tomorrow I think our neighbors are coming over because she wants me to help with her daughter's birthday party and tomorrow afternoon our single guy friends are coming over for a visit and dinner

Sarah - none of the stuff he does at home is for income purposes LOL its all him mucking around with his own projects. So nope nothing to declare there.

I managed to do my portion of the taxes and input Jadyn as our dependent... if i was a single mom i'd get $2600 back LOL but when input Tims stuff he will get to claim her and i don't know what the outcome will be.

Just a side note for anyone who gets big returns - ask your employer to deduct a little less! keep the money in your pocket!! sure its kinda nice to get a few buck back in April, but that is YOUR money our gov't has been hanging on to for you all year... and they aren't going to pay any interest on it thats for sure LOL!

J woke up in a better mood. I neglected her for a few minutes while i did my taxes and when i looked up at her (she was playing nicely in the living room 5 feet from me) her face and hands were covered in snot, and had had a poopsplosion! so in the bath she went LOL Geeze you don't pay attention for 10 minutes and it all goes to shit LOL

We had a huge refund this year! I also like getting some back and I know if they take less I'll probably just end up paying next year. Besides I like the idea of putting into RRSP's and then getting that same amount back a couple weeks later...almost makes me feel like my RRSP's don't cost anything!:holly:

kate - I love High River! It's such a beautiful little town. The Penguin line up is significant even today with -11C and windchill. Penguin enthusiasts are hardcore!!

We are waiting for Tobe to wake up from his nap and then I think we'll head to the Farmers Market. We scrapped it yesterday as poor old husband wasn't feeling great. He seems better today, so I think it will be a nice family outing.

Amanda - :hugs: I have so been there, but with only two. You just need a bit of breathing room and it doesn't happen - it's so tough! :hugs:

Hubby suggested doing something similar next year for our taxes Kate. I must admit I wasn't overly listening to him at the time though as I had the cold from hell and just wanted to sleep :rofl:

Have fun at the farmers market Sarah! I wish we had one open close to us in the winter :sulk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->