Canadian Moms & Moms to be!

What a mean thing for her to say Tif.

We used the Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child book and trained her without crying ( the book gives you options). Anna was pretty sensitive and if we left her to cry she would puke everywhere. Then we would have to come and clean it up and that would keep her up longer. What we did was used the recommended schedule in the book and just corrected her times and length of sleep. Worked out nicely for her.

Loved that book, Newt! :thumbup:
So many options for all different approaches, plus good science to back up the suggestions. I was going to suggest that, Maggs, if you haven't tried that book yet. I found it so helpful.

Ah, your mother, Tiff. :dohh: :shrug: :nope: :dohh:

It's funny that you mention that book, because I was on his website just the other day! I might see if I can pick up one on ebay. If it turns out over the next couple of weeks that he still continues to cry for 10 mins to only sleep for 20, I'll just rethink the whole thing. Seems rather cruel and pointless to me. He won't be napping much in the crib today no doubt though as I have to cut his nails at some point today so he'll need to fall asleep with me and it's nice and sunny which means a walk at some point too and he always naps in his stroller.

Maggs- CIO usually does only last a few days if you keep a consistent routine... And from what your saying Jack is upset for only a very short time, 10-15 minutes is a really short time.

Peyton went through a really bad sleep regression after christmas (he is older so this is a bit different) but Tom insisted that he was crying for a reason and needed us up there. He had previously slept well, but tom and I going up there all the time ended up snowballing into a really huge issue. Peyton would be waking up literally every single hour, needing someone to be in his bed with him (I never co-slept!!!) and he would even wake up as soon as you got up from his bed to go downstairs.

After a few weeks of that we did end up CIO with him, like I said, he is older... But The first couple nights he would cry for over an hour, and if I went up to him he would just freak out even more. It was horrible... But all crying stopped within a week and the second week he was laying down in his bed after story, saying goodnight and going to sleep with NO issues.

It felt really cruel at the time, but Peyton is much happier now that he is getting proper sleep and it is alot nicer to put a happy baby to bed and not listen to crying.

I'll definitely keep with it for a couple of weeks and then will see how we get on from there. Think I will look into that book too.

I'm cheating this afternoon though. I needed to cut his fingernails before we're out to dinner tomorrow evening and I needed to spend some cuddle time with him. Found out today that a girl I went to school with (elementary & high school) lost her battle with breast cancer. She was diagnosed when she found out she was pregnant and I think had to delay some treatments until she gave birth. Her little boy isn't even 2 yet. Our first loss from our grad class in 1997. Every's mother fear, leaving her child behind without a mother :( So am loving my little Jack today as much as I can.

Edit: As I'm going through the information via FB and another friend of mine who stays in England, I guess I can't expect it to be accurate yet. She hasn't passed away but I think it's imminent. Either way, a very sad day for the family.

Fuck Cancer. :nope:

We just lost a family friend to it last week. He was a heavy smoker, but managed to quit 10 years ago or so (after smoking for almost 40 years).

Sorry for your loss, hun. :hugs:

Fuck cancer indeed.
I just found out that my good friend's dad died yesterday. He was diagnosed with brain cancer two years ago. Last year they thought they removed it all then he relapsed just before Christmas and has been in the hospital since. Last month my friend got engaged and had the wedding planned for April 28th so her dad could walk her down the isle. I went to their jack and Jill last weekend. He died yesterday :cry:
She was so so close with him too :( I feel so terrible for her.

That's so sad. Your poor friend. My mom had a bad cancer scare a few months before my wedding too. Turned out the lab put the decimal in the wrong spot for the biopsy and her stage 3 melanoma was in fact only stage 1. I msg a friend back home about it all and she said she hasn't passed yet but she is full of cancer and drs are only giving her a few days so am praying for an easy passing for her. Her little boy, milo turns 2 in august. I hope he'll grow up knowing how much his mommy loved him. Life is so cruel sometimes. She was never in my circle of friends, but i'm grieving nonetheless because i'm a mom too.

:( So sorry to hear about your friends dad Melissa :hugs: That is awful

I hope that your friend has an easy passing Maggs :( I can't imagine leaving my kid(s) so young

Sorry about your friends dad, melissa! That is really heartbreaking :(

:( Man, today is a bad day for Cancer related deaths! :(

Jay's friends husband died of cancer, and Bri saw on FB that his ex died of cancer as well. (not today but he read the news recently)

I am clearly the worst sleep trainer in the world. My kid never sleeps. Well he sleeps now with Brian rocking him as he screams. Just took me an hour to get him to sleep on my boob. He just keeps whacking himself in the face. Eff. Just 2 weeks until he is in his own room, and I can CIO without Helena being right there. Hopefully, I can make it until then. :/

Good luck Wendy :hugs: hopefully it will be easier with him in his own room.
Are you excited about the move or what?!

Good luck getting him in his own room! We put Jack in his room when he was about 3 months old. Spent about 6 weeks or so in bed with me because he outgrew his moses basket and was having none of his crib then!

What's everyone's weekend plans? We're out tonight for a surprise b'day supper for a friend's 40th. He was DH's best man at our wedding. Then tomorrow we're going to Glasgow to go to Ikea and grocery shopping. Then F1 race on Sunday! Hopefully the weather will be nice enough to go for a couple of walks too.

weekend plans... NONE! haha... Jasmine is going to have a sleep over at my moms. And To and I may check out some open houses... not sure yet!

Sarah- I know you had SPD... did you ever get the grinding in your pelvis? Its really disturbing, my pelvis sounds like its rubbing 2 bones together and the left side is worse.

Oh my, that sounds so uncomfortable and painful! Did ou have SPD with your other two pregnancies too?

Jack slept for a whole hour this morning in his crib!! Woo hoo!! Progress?? I hope so! It seems he likes to be up a good 3 hrs before he goes down again though. He used to fall asleep feeding around 2 hrs after last sleep but I guess he likes to be longer now before going in his crib. And if he naps less, maybe he'll sleep better at night! I forgot to say too that I think we may have 2 bottom teeth very soon! The gums are all inflamed and it looks like there is the tiniest break in the gum. God help my poor boobs! I'm so scared of teeth LOL

Maggs - this chart helps me figure out how long awake/nap times should be. It sounds like Jack is in the normal range for his age :thumbup:

Baby awake times

:hugs: Wendy

Glad that nap time went better today Maggs! :)

We had a busy day--lots of errands, doctors appointment, Fantasy Fair (indoor amusement park that we had a deal on that needed used :rofl:), and art class for the kiddo while we ran a few errands :sleep:

I'm running on a few hours of sleep and am exhausted. Hoping the insomnia takes a hike tonight :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->