Canadian Moms & Moms to be!

Way to go Amira!!

Well my Mom is finally here, arrived yesterday morning. Not without drama of course though! Flight was landing at 10:45 in Glasgow so left at 9, got gas and a couple of things at the grocery store and headed about 5 more mins up the road when this warning came on the car 'battery not charging, pull over' Fecking alternator gone! At this point it was about 9:30 or just after and we were halfway to the airport as it was, so turned around and at least made it to the main road home but about 10 miles from home, everything started shutting down. Battery completely dead! ARGGHHH!! So in the end DH's friend (his best man when we got married), his Dad came and picked up Jack and I and took us to the airport and DH stayed to wait for the AA to come tow the car. But I work this week and I work at several clients houses in one shift so will be a bitch getting from one to another, plus Mom is here so no car to do anything and that fact that's another £150 minimum!! Just raging. Money is so tight at the moment, I could just cry!!

Can't wait till we're back so I can sell the fecking thing and get a job in the village so I hope I can get back on my feet. Gonna need to do some major strict budgeting here so we can work things out. DH has got a pretty big visa, I still have a couple grand on a student loan at home, plus my new visa to leave here is due in October at another £1300 a pop!! :(

Aww maggs I'm sorry your car is causing you so much trouble!!! That sucks, I hate cars for that reason. I hope everything turns out and you can enjoy your visit with your mom.

Just replying because I think I hit unsubscribe lol

Oh Maggs that totally sucks :( The worst timing too! Hopefully it's a cheaper fix than you think/were quoted. I hope you have fun with your mom regardless though! :hugs:

Maggs- Cars are such money pits! They alway break when you're totally broke too. Its like they know.

Ah well, hopefully come the fall it will be gone! Off to work today for my first shift while my Mom's here so she's babysitting today and VERY happy about it! haha Going to Glasgow tomorrow on the train to do some shopping around the pedestrian streets in the city centre. Not sure what will happen Thursday yet, all depends if I get the car back Wednesday evening or not I guess!

Hi all. =) Excited to see a forum just for Canadian moms! I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Ontario maternity leave/parental benefits/welfare/disability/etc system? I'm embarrassed to even ask but I've had a bad situation lately where I lost my job literally days before finding out I was pregnant, been job hunting for 3 months straight, and can't find a thing! On top of that, my anxiety has gotten so bad with dealing with infertility and now pregnancy I'm afraid I wouldn't even be able to hold down a job.

I have so many questions and no idea where to go for answers so I thought someone here might know! The main problem is that OH works, so we don't qualify for OW, but his paycheck is not enough to cover rent, bills, food, etc. But its still a little better off than throwing it away and going on OW.

Basically I am wondering if there is any temporary help out there for pregnant women/new moms that would allow me to stay with him. =( Or even any help finding a job that will accept a clearly pregnant woman! Which is preferable. I want to work and earn money, not take it free, but at the same time I just want what is best for the baby too.

I am not sure hun! I know I was able to get enough hours for maternity leave working part-time 3-4 days a week for 5 months though... So you still have time to find something :shrug: even if it is walmart or a grocery store.

Once you have the baby you will get CTB and a 100/month childcare allowance.

I am not sure how it works to be able to apply for matleave without the hours though.

You guys may be able to get rent subsidy if he's not making a ton of money, but it'd take time to get your place, the waiting list varies place to place

Yeah the waitlists here for subsidized housing are through the roof! I want to say its a 4 year wait atm? So get your name on a list asap. Worst case if you don't need it anymore then don't use it. :thumbup:

You definitely still have time to get a part time something or other - you can also use Temporary Agencies who will do the jobsearch for you and you can get your hours for ML that way. Personally that's what I'd do. Temp work until you qualify for ML and then you have a year to figure out what you want to do: Go back to school, job search, etc.

That's your best bet. :hugs:

Try looking at co op housing too. They adjust your rent to your income.

I did temp work with my first pregnancy and even just working a few days a week for 6 or so months I was able to accumulate enough to qualify for mat leave....I think that's a good option if you can do it

Just found out about this thread now. I think I know most of you...have a few on my FB. I am Tina and I am on Vancouver Island. :)

Hi Jasmak! I remember you from the aug 2010 babies too!!! LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->