Canadian Moms & Moms to be!

By the way, he said "All done" for the first time today after finishing his pasta. Clever boy!
It's coming faster and faster now, but I think only a few people (those who know him very well) would be able to understand him. Whereas Simon's speech at this age was very clear and far more complex expressively.
Tobe is a huge actor, though. He'll make all sorts of over the top facial expressions and exclamations and gestures. Which usually make it pretty clear what he wants. So, he's kind of cheating his way along, you know? :)

We did the More Than Words class for Claire, it was really informative and helpful. It *is* geared towards Autistic kiddos but the basics are the same when trying to teach speech.

The Hanen site in general is full of info and stuff to look up etc. Highly recommend it! The link I gave has links at the bottom for parents who's kiddos have a speech delay, parents who's kids have ASD and then one for parents with typically developing children.

You could try Googling any sort of Early Intervention Services in your area Sarah, although we didn't have to seek that out for ourselves - we were referred to it by our doctor and they contacted us.

Do you have an Early Years Center there as well? At ours its the same Resource Teachers who run the Ontario Early Years Center who do the groups and programs that Claire has been attending, they might have some info if you share your thoughts about Tobe's speech or be able to point you into the right direction.

:flower:

I also second Jasmak's sentiment about its a loooooong wait. Sucks but it is what it is.

You cant really compare how one child talks to the way a differnt child is developing/talking... DO you have the child developement info from your doctor, sarah? I guess if your making an appointment you will be able to speak to your doctor about the concerns directly, but I know at Peytons last appointment the speech guidlines for his age were appropriate for his speech/developement even though he is nowhere near where Jasmine was at this point.

Im not trying to imply there is nothing to worry about, obviously I have never heard Tobe talk lol! I definately don't think there is anything wrong with trying to help them along with speech either :D

Melissa can probably agree with me the toddlers are way different... Alia talks like Jasmine did at their age, and Peyton is nowhere near as advanced as Alia is with speech, they are about 2 weeks apart in age.. And I have talked to my doctor about it but he is well within normal for their age so he isn't worried

I second the early years center as well! They are great if they are in your area, all very up to date on the WHO recommendations and info for everything baby/toddler/child related :D

Thanks again for all the info and support, lovelies! :flower:
Joss - I am not really worried, more trying to be proactive. Tobe is very social and playful and spot-on or ahead for all the other developmental stuff. I think this speech delay is just part of the whole package of who he is. I would be very surprised if there is anything more serious underlying it. But.... I don't want to take that chance, either, as early intervention tends to be so beneficial. So that is the spirit in which I am seeking help. And I agree that it is neither helpful nor accurate to compare Tobe with Simon. But it is hard not to! :)
And my doctor handed the resource number to me at Tobe's 18-month check-up and said it was up to me if I wanted to use it. She wasn't particularly worried, either, but agreed that he was not meeting the speech milestone for his age. He has his 2-year appointment next month, so I can discuss this more with her then.
Tiff - will check that website out. Thanks!

of course every kid is different and learns at different rates, but there's definitely no harm in seeking out some extra help. Certainly can't hurt Tobe :)

And ya it's probably not a good idea to compare siblings, but it IS difficult not to. I have to stop myself from doing it all the time. I just have to remember that Alia and Joni are two completely different people.

I'd definitely say its natural to compare. Claire doesn't have a sibling, but she does have a cousin who is 6 months older than her and my Mother is constantly comparing the two of them. :haha:

The Hanen Site is awesome, I hope you like it. My nephew is really good at talking and my SIL uses it from time to time to see how she can further encourage him. :thumbup:

Ahhh, speech. Bane of my existence since January 2011. :blush: :rofl:

Happy Saturday!!! What's on the agenda for everyone today? Claire and I are relaxing this morning then will probably truck up to Kids Kloset/Goodwill for something to do. There's a huge fish store up there too (Big Al's) so might bring her in there. Although the last time she pitched the biggest fit because I wouldn't let her bring home a goldfish. :blush:

JASMAK, I have no idea. This is just a local number written down on a scrap of paper. It doesn't say which clinic, service, office, nothing.
I think the simplest thing to do will be to phone my doc on Monday.

You dont need a doctors referral for the Child Development Centre. You can just google the number and refer your own child.

A SLP will tell you it is more significant of what they can understand, than what they can say. Also, it is normal for early speech to be ony recognized by close family. BUT, it can't hurt any child...underlying issue or not, to get extra help.

https://www.renfreweducation.org/aboutrenfrew/locations.aspx

Those are the Calgary CDC centres (you're from Calgary, right?).

Anyone know when you would consider a bf baby's pooh diahreah? I see to have been struggling with an oversupply, I tried block feeding etc. doesn't seem to be going down and Hilary is constantly pooping still. And it squirts out, this morning I tool her diaper off and she squirted watery poop everwhere

Anyone know when you would consider a bf baby's pooh diahreah? I see to have been struggling with an oversupply, I tried block feeding etc. doesn't seem to be going down and Hilary is constantly pooping still. And it squirts out, this morning I tool her diaper off and she squirted watery poop everwhere

Joss, depends what you mean by "watery". If you are seeing mostly fluid, rather than the more gravy-like consistency, then there could be a problem.
Here is a link from kellymom that has pics:
https://www.breastfeedingmaterials.com/products/diaperdiary

But it sounds more like it's a bit explosive? Any other symptoms like fever, crying, etc?

Sometimes she is fussy but, but not too much. It's always watery though

Joni's and Alia's were always very runny while EBF. I remember my mom was trying to convince me that Alia had diarrhea because I was eating spicy food :haha: Nope. It was just the way she pooped! (I looked it up and even asked my doctor about it).

And they have ruined many many outfits by poop shooting up through the back/front/sides of their diapers.

That being said, it's hard to tell if it's "normal" or not just from your description.

Good luck getting a hold of someone Sarah! So frustrating when you try to call and can't get through/don't get a return call :grr:

I hope you and Claire had fun Tiff! :)

Sorry Joss no help here

We had a busy day--took the kids to the mall and to Buskerfest (details in my journal so won't bore you all with it in two places :rofl:) It was a good day though :)

Anyone know anything about ctb?? I know you don't get it for the month their born, but I thought I would have got it for Hilary today :( I'm disapointed, I was budgeting for that and I've had a lot of expenses lately... Could have use it!

Anyone know where to call or why I didn't get it?

I want to say it was a couple of months before I started to get mine for Claire. They did retroactive pay for it though.

CRA Website said:
You can get these forms and more information on the Canada Child Tax Benefit by calling the Canada Revenue Agency’s toll-free enquiry service at 1-800-387-1193 or by visiting the agency’s website.

Oh weird! It's always come on time for me!!!

We got ours the first month (June) for Rhys but he was born earlier in the month so more time to process maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->