Canadian Moms & Moms to be!

Tiff, you are awesome and I am going to take your advice and just sign up for that stuff already.
It doesn't freak me out to get him help - in fact, I think it makes sense to access every resource available. Like you said, math, spelling, whatever - that would be the course I would take, so why not just start now?
If there is a bigger problem going on, early knowledge is the best possible thing. Thank you! :flower: Good advice, friend! :hugs:

And Jasmak - Walmart are a-holes. I hate that company. For so many reasons.
You would get way better and more genuine pics from someone trying to learn their DSLR. Seriously.
My girlfriend did that for our wedding and they were gorgeous. And really really cheap. She got experience, I got great photos. Call a local arts college - I guarantee you that some student would give you a serious deal in exchange for a few shots for their portfolio. And Walmart should be giving you free everything plus $$ for the wasted time that was "not their fault".

You are totally welcome Sarah. :flower: If you have any Q's at all, I'm only a PM or a FB message away. :hugs:

Around here the best picture deals are the people who have their own business. I think regular family pic sessions are around $80 but you get the disk with all the photos edited and in both color and black and white. They ualways have way more props are better with the kids too.

And yes Sarah, there is definately nothing wrong with using whatever resources are available if you feel that tobe could use the extra help. I know a couple friends who had to do speech therapy with their toddlers and one of the recommendations was to send them to preschool... They also did some work with a slp too but it really wasn't that much.

That's interesting Joss! What type of therapy did they do if it was minimal SLP involvement? Up here only a SLP is allowed to do any sort of therapy. :flower:

Wonder if that's something I can look into while waiting for an SLP.

The one boy did 2 sessions a week to start but the biggest recommendation was preschool. It is our babysitters son and she definately is great with kids so it had nothing to do wih her parenting skills... Although now that they've done the therapy she really works with all the kids on their talking. But she did say she was disapointed at how long it took and how little therapy with a slp they actually got. But I believe the preschools they went to had dsw's who have a certain amount of training to help preschoolers with speech

My mom is actually is trained in speech therapy for schools too which is kind of annoying because she has said negative things about jasmine and Peyton's speech even though they're well within normal ranges for their ages. Jasmines always been really advanced.

I can see how preschool can help, once Claire started to do her RT Playgroups (which wasn't even preschool) we saw definite improvements in her speech. She's still incredibly behind but not as bad as she once was.

Vickie always comments on how better her speech has gotten each time she sees her! :happydance:

As for your Mom, opinions are like assholes - everyone's got one.

It really is a pet peeve of mine when people assume that its lack of parenting that accounts for children's speech. Okay, maybe in extreme neglect cases etc... but I don't know anyone who is that way with their kids!

Not saying that's what you were implying, but just even the need to quantify that she's a good parent or even Sarah's guilt over not reading to Tobe more. I really do think its a kiddo thing, rather than lack of or OTT parenting.

:flower: Hope that made sense.

agree 100% tiff! I bet there are LOTS of kids out there who's parents read to them 50x times a day who have speech less developed then kids who are allowed to watch an hour or so of TV a day and don't get read to as often. There is a spectrum of normal for a reason - some develop skills faster than others, and as much as the parents may try to encourage a skill, a baby can't learn it until they are ready to.

Both Shawn and my sister saw speech therapists as young children because they were behind and both are totally normal now. Heck Shawn is a paid public speaker now.

I'm curious to see if Joni will be as chatty as Alia is. I can see her being more quiet.

I think I remember someone saying it was recommended to let their child watch a bit of tv each day to help with speech... and it did.

I definately think children develope at different times... I see it with both my kids, and while peyton may not talk as much as jasmine, there are things he does better then she did. They all have their strengths and weaknesses!

Well because I'm such a trend-bucker...

I'm the 'quiet one' and my sister is the one we can't shut up. Been this way for as long as I can remember... I think she is just loud in general though, I can remember her going to have her hearing tested (perfectly fine- "she's just loud"). My grandma used to say "be more like your sister, she's so content and she walks like a ballerina" (to my sister referring to me)... and complaining she stomped around like an elephant all the time lol.

Alsoooo I had to get "evaluated" by a special ed teacher when I was in first grade (not sure if special education is the current PC term, but it was then)... her determination was that I was just shy.. so the not talking as much thing I think can be majorly personality-related too, not so much just birth-order :)

Everyone in my family was a loud-mouth as a kid :rofl: now only my one sister is.

Both of our families are loud and stubborn, and Brooklynn is following right along so far. The teen years should be fun....

So after all my glorious resolve to sign Tobe up for speech support right away... I called eight separate times today (and each time was several attempts) and got nothing but a busy signal. I could not even leave a message.
Sooooo, I will have to see if I can get an email address or something from my doctor, I guess? She handed me this number on a piece of paper - I don't even know where to start to see if there is any other way to contact them. Hrrrmmmmmm! (meant to be angry Marge Simpson sound...)

I haven't really been following along with the convo because it moves too quickly, but my daughter has Pervasive Development Disorder (PDD-NOS) (autism) and started SLP therapy at 18mths, and continues through to this day (she is 7 1/2 now). There are some GREAT books out there that you can get or any child that is delayed (or even children who are not delayed but learning to talk). I can't remember the authors, but the two books that helped us was 'Talkability' and 'More Than Words'. I was lucky (well, not really) that my daughter was assessed at 9 mths old level at 18 mths and so there was no speech wait for her (emergency) but the waits can be loooong. Those books can help, as well as paying out of pocket for once a month have a SLP come in and give things to you to work on with your child. That is about $100/hr. Also, if anyone has Q's about SLP therapy or even autism, just PM me.

So after all my glorious resolve to sign Tobe up for speech support right away... I called eight separate times today (and each time was several attempts) and got nothing but a busy signal. I could not even leave a message.
Sooooo, I will have to see if I can get an email address or something from my doctor, I guess? She handed me this number on a piece of paper - I don't even know where to start to see if there is any other way to contact them. Hrrrmmmmmm! (meant to be angry Marge Simpson sound...)

Are you going to the Child Development Centre? Call them ( or better yet, go there), or call a Health Unit for a free assessment and SLP services.

JASMAK, I have no idea. This is just a local number written down on a scrap of paper. It doesn't say which clinic, service, office, nothing.
I think the simplest thing to do will be to phone my doc on Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->