Canadian Moms & Moms to be!

He'll be working all day every day right until our due date... Peas usually end late September. But they're planning on putting up a new building this fall so that will have him working 30-40 hours a week, but at least he should be able to take weekends off.

Well the work is good I suppose. I thought maybe he'd be able to help you out in the morning though if his season was going to end shortly before/after baby arrives but it sounds like that's not really feasible

Ya we'll see...he'll probably be able to leave here around 9...that's the good thing about him working across the road!! And who knows, maybe they'll decide to put off the building. But I can't really count on him being home as part of my decision unfortunately.

My brother and I didn't go to pre-school but my sister did. She went to a special one for kids with special needs.

I always had nightmares about going to school so maybe having that pre-school to transition me would have helped? Who knows though. My mom would have had to drive for 30 minutes to get me to the daycare though so it really wasn't worth it for her.

taking Hannah to her classes with Rhys when he was little was a nightmare BUT I don't have a car so was kinda stuck there with a newborn. And it was loud and he was just very unsettled for the entire time we were there. It did help Hannah though, she really enjoyed getting out and doing her own thing.

How many hours a day is the preschool?

10 minutes isn't far :shrug:

My kids never did preschool, but I took Jasmine to ballet and playgroup etc (with all our kids! An no husband to help me ever!). Our playgroup was different though because they had ECE volunteers that took the kids Jasmines age to different learning centers and did activities similiar to the preschool type stuff. IE: storytime, dramatic arts, painting etc. And they were gone for a couple hours, which is essentially how long preschool is. Preschool is great socially for kids though and can really be a benefit to some kids.

I just cant sit at home all the time, and neither can my kids LOL... So I just kind had to weigh the options.... be housebound with 2 toddlers acting crazy cause they're bored, or drag Hilary around and at least occupy them :)

Well I always take both girls to play group which is twice a week.... It isn't a matter of staying home and doing nothing vs. taking Alia to preschool....it is continue going to playgroup twice a week vs. preschool twice a week.

I talked with DH and we decided it's not worth it for us to pay for preschool. Since it will be about $1200 for the year and she pretty much gets the same experience going to playgroups (they are at elementary schools, and are nice and structured)...plus with the playgroups I can take Joni as well so it benefits both girls. AND I could go to more than just 2x a week if I wanted...they run every day M-F at different schools in the area. I'm going to try and enroll Alia in a gymnastics program soon....I think she would really enjoy it :)

Thanks for all your input :flower:

Claire has come leaps and bounds with doing preschool, but tbh its really a PITA since we don't have a car either and its way in the east end of the city. Even though the east end is the oldest here in Barrie the bus system sucks getting over there. :roll:

I'm contemplating pulling Claire out of preschool and enrolling her in community center classes. Its hard though because the preschool is very pro-integration etc, but she's with a bunch of kids who are almost a year to two years younger than her. So they don't practice writing and whatnot. Basically play and socialization, which she could get at community centers which are not such a PITA to get to.

Decisions, decisions. :haha:

Could you put her in one on a non-preschool day and see how it goes for a few weeks Tiff and if she likes it maybe put her in more and take her out of the preschool?

Honestly I totally feel you. It's a complete PITA to have to rely on transit (and I live on a good transit line!).

I would call the community centre and see what their policy is regarding withdrawals in case she doesn't take to it. Here they used to let you withdraw and would charge you but if you chose to put the money onto your account instead you didn't have to pay the withdrawal fee. Which worked for us because we always knew we'd be doing another class at some point. I only really had to withdraw her once though.

Would Claire's aide be able to go in to?

That would be REALLY tough not having a car and having to rely on transit. It's tough enough for us having just one car in the country.

I think I'm becoming Canadian-ized. A few degrees above freezing, no wind, and lots of sun and I ran outside with the kids because it was so "nice" out :haha: :rofl:

I can't imagine having to reply on transit either, that definately would be very hard Tiff and Vickie!!!!!!

I think the main thing whether its preschool or playgroup or extracurricular activities is to have a structured time independant of the parents. The preschools and independant classes really help the kids socially... Its one thing to color and read books or play games, but the interaction bettween kids of similiar ages and social aspect is what alot of kindergarten kids struggle with unless they have been to preschool or a good daycare.

And just as an FYI I dont wear a coat now hahaha... I must be a viking because this was not cold at all today LOL

Ya I agree it's important to get socialization but I'm not too worried about that with Alia...she gets along really well with other kids her age.

Me too! I like how in the summer you can stand under a tree and get a bit of relief from the shade. Its not like you can find a patch of warmth under a tree in the winter! :rofl:

Those are good ideas! We can hire though the Inclusion Services a support worker who can accompany Claire to any classes she takes which is awesome. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->