Canadian Moms & Moms to be!

I'm the same way Sara - very little education/structured activities here. Ironic since I'm a teacher? :haha: That's why I take them to playgroups several times a week. And now that Andrew has Preschool twice a week I feel like they get a nice balance of structure and free time.

I probably should be more structured as that's what Claire thrives off of, but I'm a very non-structured person myself, so its hard to keep up with it with a kiddo. :blush:

We are starting swim lessons next week though, plus 2 afternoons of preschool. :thumbup: Should be good, right? Right???? :rofl:

Very good Tiff!!

Im just spoiled with a daycare provider that was a teacher (k-3rd grade or something) before deciding to start a daycare. So J gets all sorts of learning and structure that i dont have patience for :rofl:

hmm I'm not sure how structured I am :shrug: :rofl: We have a routine in place that's for sure but as for sitting Hannah down and making her do X and X each day that didn't happen. We sometimes do workbooks, sometimes arts & crafts, sometimes just play with her stuff, sometimes she plays on her own, etc.

Today we did arts and crafts and practiced reading, she watched a movie and the rest of the time helped me with housework or played on her own :lol:

I do have a friend who from the time her little girl was sitting up would sit and "teach" her stuff :shrug: V is extremely smart but I just can't wrap my head around sitting and trying to teach Rhys some of the stuff she taught V :rofl:

I just don't think there's enough benefits to flash cards and stuff like that before school age to spend my time on it :shrug: He learns some stuff off Barney :haha:

And he is starting swim lessons in April and going to Spring Break Kinder Camp (Preschool is shut for our two week Spring Break). Good enough in my book :thumbup:

Well the new kindergarten curriculum is all child-led learning centers so there is no real structure. Kids that age are supposed to be able to just learn through play... Sooo don't be so hard on yourselves guys :)

We color when the kids want to color, play picnic or house when they want, read when they want. I don't consider myself great at being a SAHM either, sara LOL... I actually hate painting with the kids because its too messy. I do try and bake at least once a week. We s[pend alot of time outside or at the barn and they play there... We have trains, lego, play food, barbies & ponies, and the play kitchen, dress up stuff and coloring stuff mainly.

Ya at this age playing is the best way for them to learn! I can't imagine sitting and "teaching" anything to Joni either...she has the shortest attention span ever! I do read her books when she requests it, but she usually gets bored before it's done :haha:

Sesame Street taught Claire almost all her letters and numbers. :haha:

Hannah would sit for books (loved them!) but can't get Rhys to sit still for nothing :haha:

I did do some flashcards with Hannah--when she showed an interest in learning her letters we did them and same with the numbers. But never forced learning if that makes sense, just went with whatever she happened to be into at the time.

I'll be surprised if I get Rhys to sit for any of that stuff though, he's way busier than she was :rofl:

Yeah I mean, I think it's all about balance. :) My Mom definitely doesn't "teach" my girls all day long, but they do different activities everyday - colour, paint, watch a little TV, lots of PLAY. :shrug:
Kyree is in school now full-time too so I mean she has alot of learning happening there.

And I don't worry about Alora, she's a little smartypants so she's obviously learning stuff somewhere. :haha: My Mom may be pretty lax but I know she's good with them and they love being with her so it all works out. :)

And of course, the girls have swimming, Alora has a pre-school program once a week... Kyree does gymnastics (Alora will soon too) and soccer. I sure feel like we're busy enough! :lol:

Hellooooo darlings!
Sorry I have been such a crappy threadmate - just really busy with everything.
Funny the discussion is around pre-school: I will be standing in line for several hours tomorrow night to get Simon and Tobe registered in theirs. Blergh!
But it's a good one and I think they really thrive in it. For my boys, structure and a gentle introduction to group work and focusing in a classroom setting are going to be really important to their school careers, I think. Lots of little guys just do a few fun activities and are ready to go when kindergarten rolls around, but I think my boys need classroom skills if they are going to do well in school.
And after their punchy little wrestling routines of today, it'll be toddler military camp for the both of them, if they're not careful. :haha:

Hope everyone is well! I'll try to pop in more often! :kiss:

:wave: Hi Sarah!

Was thinking of you yesterday actually. One of my MIL's cousins passed away and he was an avid photographer of birds. He lives in BC and was dubbed "the Okanogan (sp?) Birdman" Ha ha.

He passed away a little while ago, but made me think of you and your love for birds!

:hi: Sarah, good luck signing your boys up for preschool tomorrow!

Oh my god.
That took four hours.
Registration opened at 6:30, but I got there at 4:00 as the word was out that it might be tight for the morning sessions.
I was maybe #15 in line. Some people got there at 2:00, apparently. :shock:
Anyway, I squeaked the boys in and we're good to go for next year.

AND!!! Today at the bird sanctuary I saw golden-crowned kinglets and a Great Horned Owl! Woohoo! (where is the crazed binocular-wielding smilie? Well, insert that here.) :haha:

Sooooo Ontario girls.... we are coming out for a visit this August. Who's up for a reunion at the AGO? :rofl:
I jest, of course. But not about a meet-up! Let me know if anyone is interested and available! :)

:thumbup:
Yay!
We'll be in Goderich, so let's figure out some sort of fun meeting place and make a day of it! I am going to suggest NOT going to art galleries. That will be my initial immensely helpful contribution.... :)

Hi Sarah!! Well done getting the boys enrolled in preschool.

Lucky you going to Ontario and meeting up together!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->