Canadian Moms & Moms to be!

Oh that is such an awful time to get up! I hope they all have a good nap for you today.

Thanks. Nap time will be during the 1.5 hour drive to my Dad's though, so no nap for me

Oh Amanda that's rough!

Just another work weekend here. Got groceries today, that was about it. Not very exciting I'm afraid to say!

ouch that's rough Amanda! :(

We are having a good weekend :) We spent the day at the zoo with Sara and Jadyn today! :)

Man Amanda that sucks for sure. :(

Yay for zoo time with Sara and Jaydn! :yipee:

We had a great time out last night and we're going to do yard work and whatnot tomorrow. :)

Delightful. Went to buy less than $30 of groceries today and had my debit card declined. No way that should have happened so I went straight home and opened my account online only to discover multiple withdrawals from a "foreign banking system".
Awesome. I just got robbed of over $700.
Thankfully, the thieves didn't explore the possibilities on the card info. We had our LOC linked up to that card for convenience's sake over a few larger purchases last year. That could have been thousands of dollars in damage. I have to wait for the fraud department from my bank to verify everything, then I should be reimbursed.
Not feeling particularly stressed - more just annoyed at the extra hassle, and really really grateful to the powers that be that the damage was relatively minimal.
And I am anal about covering my hand while puttin in my pin, etc. So the most likely scenario is that I was the victim of one of those card reader devices that get slipped into certain debit machines. The online bank lady said to never pay at the pump. That is the most common place that the card reading occurs. I was like, um, most places don't even give you the option NOT to pay at the pump anymore, but thanks for the advice?
Anyway, what a weird day. The laryngitis has me sounding like one of the walking dead, something really shitty and violating happened and i was strangely unstressed about it all, and I spent most of the time having a really nice visit with my parents. What an odd day. :shrug:

We had our credit card numbers stolen a few years ago...it really does suck the hassle of it all and just feeling "taken". Ours was at a nice restaurant though (At the CN tower restaurant actually!) and the waiter must have written down our number while he was charging it. I've never let a waiter take my card away again.
I'm surprised your bank didn't catch it sooner....maybe it's different for credit cards (since they're probably stolen more often) but my bank cancelled the card after like $50 of transactions.

I always pay at the pump too.... I feel safer keeping the girls in the car if I'm right there and can see them.

Melissa, I think it happened really fast, but you are right - they should have realized pretty quickly that the card made a transaction in Calgary and then minutes later was pulling multiple transactions out of a foreign ATM. I would have thought that such a pattern would have triggered some sort of security response on their end. :shrug:
I should get reimbursed for all of it, but at the same time, I feel pretty uneasy about how accessible my account is. The chips were supposed to make cards way more secure, but the online banking lady said that hasn't turned out to be the case at all.

And yeah - the pay at the pump thing: of course I am going to use the (supposedly) safer option of filling up without having to drag my kids out of their car seats, through a busy and dangerous gas station parking lot and into a store to pay. And few pumps here even give the option to pay at the till anymore. They require a pre-authorized amount before you fill up. So, not sure if that was helpful advice or just information to make me concerned about somthing that should be straightforward and secure. :nope:

I hate the chip cards. I constantly have to get new ones because there's a "chip malfunction" and then it'll decline my purchase even if I have money in there. :dohh:

Sorry to hear that Sarah, that's crap.

Have you guys heard about the very freaky fact that smart phones can read some chip technology? Like right through pants/purse and wallet.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/mani...smartphones-skimmer-credit-card-winnipeg.html

Otherwise, we have had a really nice weekend. Lovely grandparent visit, weather that turned out to be great even though the forecast said otherwise.
Other than a mild incovenience, I'm really not too fussed by the theft. Well, as long as there is no issue with me getting reimbursed for all of it from my bank. I really don't feel like dealing with that kind of hassle. It would be pretty odd if they didn't reimburse me, as there are transactions that verify I was here.
Husband had to work today, but the boys and I just had a beautiful morning at the park. :) Looks like we might finally get the rain this afternoon - big clouds building up.

ughhh Sarah that sucks :(

we had a good day yesterday at the zoo. Today J went to the park with grandma while I did some house work and worked on her quilt. She napped for a couple hours while I continued to do house work/quilt. Now she is up we are gonna have supper and then go see some fireworks :)

Uuuurgh Claire's been a whiney brat today. :hissy:

Although we got lots done around the house. Almost have a tree out of the backyard. I loathe to cut down healthy trees, but our backyard is small and its taking up prime real estate. P then fixed our sink in the main floor powder room - its been really slow to drain and draino wasn't doing a thing.

I tore up a bunch of ground cover that was annoying me, P organized the garage and now we're relaxing.

I wish we could take Claire to the fireworks. She's sick though so it'll have to be normal bedtime tonight plus I don't think she'd like the noise.

I hate those days, Tiff.
But woohoo for the house stuff all sorted!
We've got a crabapple tree that may be in the same peril. It was never properly pruned and is just a big mess. I'd rather have a native tree that is good for climbing and bird food than this dumb thing. It's in flower and quite pretty right now, but husband is already shooting it baleful glances and grumbling about all the disgusting rotten crabapples and wasps he'll be dealing with in August. :haha:

Ha ha I hear you! There's a bunch of flowering trees on our street right now and in the spring they are GORGEOUS.

While whining to P about why can't we have a tree like that :)blush:) he reminded me that while they're pretty now, having to clean up crabapples is NOT fun. Point taken and now I like looking at them from other people's yards. :haha:

I'm allergic to all these damn trees that are flowering :haha:

Sorry your card was stolen Sarah :hugs: Our CC number was stolen last month? And our bank card was compromised a few weeks ago--though nothing was actually taken. The bank called very quickly and canceled the card. Anyways I was pretty meh about it. I mean if we'd had to pay it back I'd have been royally pissed but we didn't. And it just feels like it's a part of life in today's society :shrug:

And yes I agree that the chip cards aren't any safer. And now they have the touch and go ones how is that safe at all :shrug: You don't even have to enter a pin number!

We had a really busy day yesterday of house cleaning, gardening and bbq! It was fun but I'm exhausted from a very busy weekend :sleep:

I'm not a fan of the tap and go cards at all, I can't see how it offers any protection if my card is lost our stolen.

I don't think you can tap and go for purchases over $25 so any loss is minimized for the bank. I personally love to just tap at timmies in the morning. I agree its not safe if you loose your card tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->