Clomid Buddies - 18 BFPs!

Hi LemonTea! I see you started at 100mg. Do you know why your doc started you on such a high dose right away? I hope your temp stays up!

Hey Chloe! I hadn't done a ton of research about Clomid before I was prescribed it -- I didn't even think it would be an option for me since I ovulate every month on my own -- so I asked my doctor the same thing. She said that for women who ovulate on their own, 100mg on days 3-7 is the usual protocol that has been shown to be most effective. That wasn't enough info for me, so I went home that night and googled it for myself lol.

From what I've read, if a woman is not ovulating, the goal is to get her to ovulate with as low a dose of Clomid as possible -- so women in that group are usually started with 50mg on days 5-9. If they don't ovulate that first month, then they're usually moved up to 100mg then 150mg (I think the max dosage is usually 150 mg, but I've heard of people being prescribed more). FSH is produced naturally in the body for about the first 3 days of your cycle, and then the production starts to slow down -- the biggest follicle there when FSH starts to slow is usually the follicle holding the egg that will emerge when you ovulate. So starting on days 5-9 helps that one strong egg be as ready for fertilization as possible come ovulation day -- it pushes the body to give more FSH to the follicle/egg that your body had already self-selected as the strongest one.

For a woman that already ovulates, 50mg is not considered enough to make a huge difference -- the body is already making enough FSH to produce an egg. So the doctor's rationale for an ovulating woman would be to start her at 100mg but on days 3-7. Since FSH is produced in the body naturally up until about day 3 (and then your body's production starts to slow down) a day 3 start is supposed to keep that high FSH in your body for a few more days in hopes that it forces your body to make more than one strong follicle/egg (and therefore give you and your partner more eggs to aim at after ovulation in hopes that one will be fertilized and implant). After day 7, your FSH levels will drop, but hopefully there will be at least two follicles that are strong enough to ovulate at least two eggs at or around the same time.

I also read that Clomid is supposed to help lengthen/strengthen your luteal phase, which is definitely a problem for me. I almost want to finish out this cycle without progesterone to see if Clomid gives me a 14 day luteal phase with little to no spotting on its own, but I'm too afraid to risk it, so I've started taking the progesterone supplement too.

Any one having breast discomfort on clomid (sore breasts/nipples)? after ovulation...

I got my blood work back and they confirmed its a positive! I'm going again today to get it taken again to make sure the levels are rising.

I'm.waiting for you all to turn into bump buddies with me!!

Yay kellie! I'm so happy for you! You HAVE to keep me posted about your progress!

Kel, I had the worst sore boobs and even had montgomery tubecles show up for the first time ever. I guess I need to stop symptom spotting. I was sure even with my low progesterone levels that this was the month. I was nauseous and boobs were killing. I also had a lot of cramps. It wasn't AF cramps.

Any one having breast discomfort on clomid (sore breasts/nipples)? after ovulation...

I'm 3dpo today, and mine are sore. But it's hard to know if that's a side effect or not, since mine are usually that way for a few days at some point after I O. Hopefully it's a great sign for us both!

Iluvredskins - Sorry AF got you. Try to stay positive, you haven't been trying for long, I think it will happen for you soon!! :hugs: So much for my EWCM Christmas night! Nothing yesterday, and my OPKs were super light. This morning I think I might have watery CM...unless it's leftover swimmers from Sat night, but I don't think that would still be the case 3 days later right?!?!

kc - Nice!! :happydance:

Hey, ladies, so has anyone ever drank while taking Clomid?! New Years is Saturday, and I'm supposed to start my first dose tomorrow! Is Clomid going to screw up my very merry new years night????

I drank a good bit while on clomid and had no issues.

Well I start my third round of Clomid tomorrow. He wants to see if starting in between day 3 and 5 helps. I asked if there is anything we could do about the low progesterone and he said no. I guess we will see! I'm focusing more on losing weight instead of TTC!

Hey, ladies, so has anyone ever drank while taking Clomid?! New Years is Saturday, and I'm supposed to start my first dose tomorrow! Is Clomid going to screw up my very merry new years night????

I had a glass of wine the first day I took Clomid this month. I don't think it made that big of a difference. When it comes to having a glass of wine or a cocktail every now and then, I've decided that I'm not putting my life on hold just because I'm TTC -- it's taken this long, and who knows how much longer it may take, but I want to live my life!

Well I start my third round of Clomid tomorrow. He wants to see if starting in between day 3 and 5 helps. I asked if there is anything we could do about the low progesterone and he said no. I guess we will see! I'm focusing more on losing weight instead of TTC!

Why would he say "no" when there actually is something that you can do (like trying a prescription progesterone supplement)? I don't know your doctor or your situation very well, so I could be wrong, but that sort of sounds like he's dismissing your concerns. Maybe you could just try an over-the-counter progesterone supplement? They're available at most health food stores, and it might help you somewhat (or at least give you peace of mind).

rdleela - I'm with lemontea, I've already waited over a year for my BFP and it's a good thing I didn't put my life on hold waiting for it! I'm going to keep enjoying each day as it comes, and give up all the "bad things" when I need to!

Ilivredskins - Did your dr say how/why taking it says 3-7 would make a difference?? I'm already thinking about next cycle, and if I want to switch it up a little bit. :haha:

I'm already thinking about next cycle, and if I want to switch it up a little bit. :haha:

It's sad, but I'm definitely looking ahead to next cycle too! I don't really think this will be our month (I was sick, we were traveling so I thought our timing was only okay, my temps were all wonky), but I feel really, really good about Cycle 2!

Thanks ladies, yeah, I agree, I'm not putting my life on hold anymore at all, either! I'm nervous this cycle, DH is getting a SA on Jan.3rd and we should have the results before I O.

Ilivredskins, there is DEF something you can do about low progesterone! As for over the counter stuff, that's what I went in to ask for (in Canada we can't get any progesterone OTC) and my Dr. just dismissed it. I had a short luteal phase of 9 days on average, and starting taking Prometrium 100mg twice daily (vaginally) and it lengthened my luteal phase to more than 14 days, so I was SO happy about that, although I haven't had my levels tested, so we'll see what happens this next cycle.

LemonTea, thanks for the explanation. That makes a lot of sense. I too am already looking ahead to next cycle, whenever that may start. Once AF shows up, i will call my doc and see if i can up my Clomid to 100 mg. I have a bad feeling I won't O this cycle. I also don't have any more progesterone to bring on AF, so if after 40 days I don't get a temp spike, i'm going to be giving my doc a call.

Chantel, I was put on prescription progesterone pills to take because I was spotting for 2wks before AF. Just 5mg, and my doc put it on before even getting my progesterone results back (which were at the very low end of the normal range). Seems like there is definitely something you can do about that. I would just be careful, because when you do end up preggo, I think it would be bad to suddenly take the progesterone away from your body, not that I'm a doctor or anything...

CD 26, still no temp spike. sigh....

Guess I shouldn't have doubted Clomid....

:wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo:

https://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee514/Lisa92881/1325109732.jpg

I can't even believe it! I really didn't think 25 mg was going to be enough!

Thanks ladies! If it doesn't work this time I'm going to be more persistent! He told me originally to take it days 3-7 and I'm not really sure why. Last cycle he switched to cd 5-9 and this time 4-8. He told me today that it might help develop my follicles better. I have my fingers crossed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->