Considering at-home insemination with donor sperm...?

Hi ladies! Dw just finished her first cycle since surgery. We are one cycle closer. We decided not to try until the third cycle because of the methotrexate. She will be sound physically sooner but her folic acid and so many others were stripped by the injection. We are eager to start but have lots to do before then. We move into our house a week from tomorrow. We are eager to get in and settled. I have spent hours that would normally be devoted to TTC shopping, planning, and day dreaming about the house. I hope everyone is well and I think of all of you regularly. I'm still here....stalkin as usual. LOL!

Good luck with the house! It's a good distraction until you get started again :)

Hi all! I'd like to jump in this thread. I'm Melissa, I'm 32 and married. I have an 11 year old and my DH has a DD that is 14. I am newly married for a second time.
DH had a vasectomy when his daughter was born. We both have wanted another child for years, so now here we are. We considered reversal, but since it has been so long the chances of success are insanely low.
Many of my friends are not supportive of our decision to ttc with donor sperm. But for us, it's just about the only way. We considered a bank, but the cost is insane! That's a lot of diaper money!!!
So last April I found myself looking online for live sperm donors. Craigslist yielded a few but we ultimately found one. He's smart but not a good physical/bio match for DH. We tried at the end of December, but I ended up with the AF witch on 1/13.
So I found KDR. Thank GOD! And we have found what seems like a much better match. He's physically a fantastic fit and a CPA! So I'm hoping we've found our new baby daddy! He's experienced and he works about 10 blocks from my home. Needless to say I am so excited and thinking this might actually work!

I would like to read this entire thread, although it might take me a year! I have read some of it and I am profoundly grateful for the good information it has yielded me.

We are using softcups and preseed at this point. I have also started taking prenatals, vitex, mucinex, and evening primrose oil. I am slightly overweight, I might have PCOS although that is not confirmed and last time I had ultrasound they didn't find any cysts. I have irregular AF's. So I'm taking all these supplements, FX that it helps with these issues. DH and I are using condoms as to not disturb my balance.

I've switched to digi OPK's so it's idiot proof. I was trying BBT until I figured out that my thermometer wasn't accurate! UGH! I've been keeping an eye on CM and DH is tracking my cervix, much to his delight.

So I just wanted to let you know I am here, stalking your posts and see if anyone has any other advice for me, as I know there are many of you who have had great success!

Thanks in advance! And lots of dust!

Welcome baby4me2013! Sounds very promising! I also just switched to the digi opks and it worked much better for me! What do you mean the thermometer wasn't accurate? Can you take it back and get a new one? It's a very useful tool, it just takes a little while to see a pattern. Check out this thread for some great advice too

https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/a...-artificial-insemination-success-stories.html

Good luck and lot of :dust:

Welcome Melissa! My husband and I were in a similar position although this is my first marriage and I didn't have any kids previously. The donor route made the most sense for us and we've been fortunate to have mostly positive experiences with donors.

I'm pregnant now with my second donor-baby. This may be my last I'm thinking, although I might be open to doing IVF with hubby's sperm (he'd need another surgery but its an option) someday in the future. I'm actually getting a bit tired of negotiating with donors, but of course so happy to have my daughter and this bean on the way.

You pick your poison really - no method is perfect when you are in our situation, you just have to make the best decisions you can at the time and you can always choose to do something else if it stops making sense.

Best of luck to you both!

Welcome to the thread, Melissa! I'm Brandi and have three kids, one of them is my donor baby. Currently, I'm waiting for my tubal reversal, and then I'll be going the donor route for number 4. Hope you enjoy it here!

Welcome baby4me2013! Sounds very promising! I also just switched to the digi opks and it worked much better for me! What do you mean the thermometer wasn't accurate? Can you take it back and get a new one? It's a very useful tool, it just takes a little while to see a pattern. Check out this thread for some great advice too

https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/a...-artificial-insemination-success-stories.html

Good luck and lot of :dust:

I just bought a new one. The one I had from Walgreens was way off. I was suspicious, so one night I took oral temp 3 times in a row and had 3 way different readings! There's no way that is accurate! I will start on next cycle with different brand, but hopefully this one will take! And Thanks for the welcome. I post on the TTC boards, but was so happy to find this one, as the others have no idea what I am talking about!

Welcome Melissa! My husband and I were in a similar position although this is my first marriage and I didn't have any kids previously. The donor route made the most sense for us and we've been fortunate to have mostly positive experiences with donors.

I'm pregnant now with my second donor-baby. This may be my last I'm thinking, although I might be open to doing IVF with hubby's sperm (he'd need another surgery but its an option) someday in the future. I'm actually getting a bit tired of negotiating with donors, but of course so happy to have my daughter and this bean on the way.

You pick your poison really - no method is perfect when you are in our situation, you just have to make the best decisions you can at the time and you can always choose to do something else if it stops making sense.

Best of luck to you both!

Thank you for your contributions to this board. I really enjoyed them, the ones I read so far! Good luck to you as well and a H&H 9Mos! :baby:

I WILL KEEP YOU ALL UPDATED ON MY PROGRESS AND HOPEFULLY BE ABLE TO POST IN THE POS RESULTS THREAD SOON!

Welcome Melissa!

hummm. i just jumped on here to ask a question about temping, because i was starting to wonder how much i could trust it (mine is from walgreens too!)

So Ive been tracking my temps for the last 2 weeks using FF, this morning I was taking a look at the calendar, and it has changed twice now, this second time being a big change, im suppose to get my af between the 26th and 28th, the calendar now says i o'd on the 19th and my af isnt due until the 3rd of feb. that would make my cycle 36 days long, ive never had a cycle longer than 32. sooooo now what? lol im puzzled

oh! i also want to add that I was having major cramps about 3 nights ago so i wish sure i would wake up to af, i do get cramps a couple days before af sometimes, but if ff is right i dont think i would be having symtoms of my af that many days in advance. i tested at what i thought was 12dpo and it was a bpn, i was going to wait til the 30th and if i still hadnt gotten it i was going to retest, but now i dont know? If i truely did O on the 19th i dont know what the point is, because i stopped insem'ng on the 16th :/

oh! i also want to add that I was having major cramps about 3 nights ago so i wish sure i would wake up to af, i do get cramps a couple days before af sometimes, but if ff is right i dont think i would be having symtoms of my af that many days in advance. i tested at what i thought was 12dpo and it was a bpn, i was going to wait til the 30th and if i still hadnt gotten it i was going to retest, but now i dont know? If i truely did O on the 19th i dont know what the point is, because i stopped insem'ng on the 16th :/

I wouldn't trust that stupid Walgreens BBT. Check it like I did. Take a few temps all in the same place in a row, see if they are consistent. I wouldn't trust just one method, as they can all be misleading. Check your CM and CP too, that should be a big indication of where you are in your cycle.

Welcome Melissa!

hummm. i just jumped on here to ask a question about temping, because i was starting to wonder how much i could trust it (mine is from walgreens too!)

So Ive been tracking my temps for the last 2 weeks using FF, this morning I was taking a look at the calendar, and it has changed twice now, this second time being a big change, im suppose to get my af between the 26th and 28th, the calendar now says i o'd on the 19th and my af isnt due until the 3rd of feb. that would make my cycle 36 days long, ive never had a cycle longer than 32. sooooo now what? lol im puzzled

This is your first month temping on FF, right? I believe it's more about the length of your luteal phase (time between O and AF) than how long your cycle is. How long my cycle is all depends on when I O. After I O, my luteal phase is usually 13 days. It will take a few months for you and for FF to really see a good pattern. Don't get discouraged! Even if you stopped insem before you O'd, sperm can live in the body for up to 5 days. There's still hope! If it doesn't happen this cycle, at least you're learning more about your body and your cycles.

Welcome melissa! I have a donor baby, just turned one yesterdy, and starting ttc again in June! Good luck!

I keep forgetting to temp everytime Noah wakes for a feed in the night, guess there's no pint atm anyways since Im awake loads at night cus he has a cold!

Stupid phone!
If you change your mind, you can usually add certification through testing. At least in Missouri you can, that's what I did. Good luck getting finished up! I'm wanting to get my masters but don't want to start in the middle of ttc. Of course hopefully I'll have a baby soon and then I won't want to start it then either! Lol

In WI you have to go back to school to get a second license. I am stuck with it. I am sure I'll love whatever I am teaching. I really don't have a "set" preference just a slight inclination towards children who can already tie their shoes! ha ha.

How's the waiting going? Keeping busy?

In WI you have to go back to school to get a second license. I am stuck with it. I am sure I'll love whatever I am teaching. I really don't have a "set" preference just a slight inclination towards children who can already tie their shoes! ha ha.

How's the waiting going? Keeping busy?

That's no good! I'm sure you'll be happy either way. Like I said, they all have pros and cons. I've loved every grade I've worked with :) Good luck! The last 2 semesters were very challenging, but I learned a lot.

Well, not keeping busy enough! Lol I've been on here pretty much all day. Distracted myself with some cleaning for a while. Yesterday we went out to lunch and watched a movie to distract us for a while. I have sore bbs and have had some really light cramping on and off today, but that's about it. I'm just ready to know already! How are you doing?

:dust:BTW... Going to start AI with new donor tomorrow until Thursday! Wish me luck, I need all the dust I can get!!!

That's no good! I'm sure you'll be happy either way. Like I said, they all have pros and cons. I've loved every grade I've worked with :) Good luck! The last 2 semesters were very challenging, but I learned a lot.

Well, not keeping busy enough! Lol I've been on here pretty much all day. Distracted myself with some cleaning for a while. Yesterday we went out to lunch and watched a movie to distract us for a while. I have sore bbs and have had some really light cramping on and off today, but that's about it. I'm just ready to know already! How are you doing?

I really hate how AF and :bfp: signs are so similar.

How am I? Ha ha. I'm freaking out.

So I politely said farewell to our last possible donor and was overwhelmed at the thought of trying to find a new one when my Bestie from HS called to say he would be honored to help us.

When we first decided to use a known donor instead of the spermbank a few weeks back, I had called him to see if he wanted to be the "the one". He has always said if I wanted another child that he would help. I never thought it would be possible because we live a few states away from each other. Then I found the KDR and realized that you can ship fresh semen! Well, he never called me back. I didn't call him because I figured it was just his polite way of saying he wasn't interested anymore. I was wrong. He sent me a text that he had just got a full STD test and was on board 100%. He has been super busy getting ready for an interview for a professor position (he just got his PhD) in Louisville. We've talked a few times on the phone and through email about the logistics of it all. This has all happened in the past two days!

I thought I would have at least one more week which would allow us time for him to get a sperm analysis done but the :witch: got me today. I am officially freaking out. We've had to change our next steps from him going to clinic to get a sperm analysis to doing an at home one which needs to be completed no later than Tuesday or Wednesday so I can ship him the two shippers and TYB. He'll need to be ready to go by Feb 7th.

Because I am not ovulating, it makes this even more complicated. I am starting the Clomid on cd5. From what I have read, taking Clomid might push ovulation further out in my cycle so I need to be prepared for that too. It's a lot of information to sift through and a lot of unknowns. I'm a type A. I don't like unknowns. :)

In the end if we don't get everything done by the time I get my first peak day, we'll use the spermbank. I like having a back-up but am hoping we won't have to use it.

It's a roller coaster of excitement and anxiety.

I hate how the symptoms are so similar too! I've been having that bloated/there's something in my abdomen feeling today and some very slight cramping/twinges. Hoping it's not just gas! lol

Sounds very stressful! That's so great that your friend is willing to donate though! You have a donor and you have a back-up!

Our donor is a good friend who is married with a child and one on the way. He lives 10 min from our house. Our first donation was very stressful and crazy! We had a lawyer draw up a contract for us. We were supposed to meet on Friday as a group and go over it/sign it. I ended up Oing early and we had to all go separately to get it signed. The plan was for our donor to come to our house to donate, but we ended up going over to his place bc his wife had to work and he had to be at his house with his child.
In the end it all worked out. I know your situation is even more difficult to line up than mine, but people somehow manage in similar situations all the time! It'll work out for you :) I'm also a type A, so I know exactly where you are coming from!

So I jut went to the bathroom and there was a slight discoloration. So I checked my cervix and I definitely have a slight bit of spotting. I'm not supposed to have AF spotting until Tuesday, that part of my cycle is very regular and predictable. Hoping its implantation! Guess we'll wait and see in a few days...

So I jut went to the bathroom and there was a slight discoloration. So I checked my cervix and I definitely have a slight bit of spotting. I'm not supposed to have AF spotting until Tuesday, that part of my cycle is very regular and predictable. Hoping its implantation! Guess we'll wait and see in a few days...
Sending positive thoughts your way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->