Cots?

Tbh .. the moses basket iv got hasnt exactly got anything comfy inside it and thats from mamas and papas.. and my antie spent alot on that.. so surly if the baby sleept in that for say 4 months or something then isnt there a risk then? ..

And i havent spent the money on a travel system cause my step dads offered to buy that .. so it doesnt really matter to me about how much that cost cause he offered..

And emma thats what i was thinking about iv heard it alot about them growing out of them quick so dont know what is best to do x

you can always order the cot now and get the mattress in the january sales,

I got the Coastline from M&P which was given me as a babyshower prezzie, it cost £230 and the mattress i got from TK Maxx for £34.

you can always order the cot now and get the mattress in the january sales,

:thumbup:

I thought about that seeing in the sales if anything is on offer it would be a good idea really i bet the cot i get will go down aswell :dohh: i should wait i guess but i just want it all sorted so im not rushing last min and having to asmeble a cot lol

well ur only 33 weeks, i didnt get my cot till about 34/35 weeks so dont worry, i reckon january sales are your best bet!

we bought the brown chloe cot from mamas and papas, waiting on it being delivered actually. I LOVE it! xx

You will be lucky if baby lasts in a basket for 4 months. My son outgrew his by 6 weeks, generally they have outgrown them by 3 months. Personally I dont/wont use the cheap foam mattresses at all, I have sprung, breatheasy coatings on every mattress baby will be sleeping on. Partly because its important to buy the best quality you can when it comes to mattresses and secondly I have a cotbed that baby will be using til he is what, 4/5 years old and it makes sense to buy ONE good quality mattress at £80 than three cheap foam ones at £30 each. If you work out what a mattress costing £80 being used for 2 years would actually cost you it comes to 77p a week......
You also have to take into account that the cheaper mattresses arent particularly comfy, how well will baby sleep on them? Could a better quality mattress contribute towards a baby who sleeps better at night.....
As for SIDS risk, yes SIDS is still a risk past 3 and 4 months old.

Tbh .. the moses basket iv got hasnt exactly got anything comfy inside it and thats from mamas and papas.. and my antie spent alot on that.. so surly if the baby sleept in that for say 4 months or something then isnt there a risk then? ..

And i havent spent the money on a travel system cause my step dads offered to buy that .. so it doesnt really matter to me about how much that cost cause he offered..

And emma thats what i was thinking about iv heard it alot about them growing out of them quick so dont know what is best to do x

yeah it's difficult...
this is what i've done.. :) bought a bassinet (i dont like moses baskets)
https://www.preciouslittleone.com/p...m-n-care-travel-cot-and-bassinet---zoo-beige/
- it's not just for 'smaller babies' as it says, it's lots bigger than a moses basket and is very sturdy, i bought a little mattress to go inside it for extra padding :thumbup:

this one was best for me as i'll be staying with my parents now and again so it's better to have a travel cot/bassinet than a moses basket.

i know you already have a moses basket but this travel cot is a cheaper alternative to a massive cot for when/if baby grows out of the moses basket quickly :flower: xxxx

and all this about SIDS, it's a clear risk whatever the baby sleeps in/on x

If money is a bit of a problem you shouldnt have got the moses basket-the baby could be out it in a few months. A cot or cot bed will last so much longer for not a huge amount more money!

And do remember if you go for a decent cotbed and mattress it could last you 3 years at least. I have heard folk getting a foam mattress then having to change it after 6months as it no longer offers baby good support. You may be better getting a spring mattress for £50 which lasts 3 times longer than a foam one at £32?? (especially if you end up throwing away the foam one after a while and replacing it with a better one!):flower:

Just my opinion, but I really do not believe a baby will notice how 'comfortable' a mattress is. I mean, I didn't really start caring how comfortable a bed was until after university... up 'til then, I could sleep happily on the cheapest thing around. I really think that as you get older you notice such things a lot more... IMO, kids don't! They don't know any better, and they're not prone to the same aches & pains that adults are anyhow. How many adults could sleep in a stroller being pushed down a busy street? ;)

We've not started looking at cots yet but we've said we'll probably get one in the January sales. We're looking into getting a cotbed. My parents are paying for it so we can get a decent one :rofl:

Just my opinion, but I really do not believe a baby will notice how 'comfortable' a mattress is. I mean, I didn't really start caring how comfortable a bed was until after university... up 'til then, I could sleep happily on the cheapest thing around. I really think that as you get older you notice such things a lot more... IMO, kids don't! They don't know any better, and they're not prone to the same aches & pains that adults are anyhow. How many adults could sleep in a stroller being pushed down a busy street? ;)

Perhaps comfort in the sense used by adults isnt the word that should be used. Comfort in the way of air circulation, a better quality covering which will prevent baby getting too hot/cold, reduce the cases of baby sweating in bed (sweat contributes towards nappy rash and a baby who has sweated is more likely to wake up) the air circulation is important, a baby whose circulation is restricted may well be more restless. 'comfort' doesnt mean "oo yes this is soft" it also means the temperature regulation etc. Oh and all the children I know are aware of the comfort (adult sense) of their beds by the time they are 2/3 years old....if you get a cotbed you will be using it til they are 4/5....a good (supportive) mattress is as important for a good nights sleep for a toddler as it is for an adult...more so in many ways as a toddler is growing so rapidly, sleep is very important for development.

Oh and I do wish people would stop downplaying the importance of SIDS risk. Its quite upsetting to see people brushing it off saying "well its a risk whatever they sleep in/on" when you have lost a baby this way. Yes its a risk always, however careful you are, however much money you spend on mattresses but there are proven ways to reduce the risk.

I agree .. iv sleept on many uncomfy things in the past aka in a tent with just a quilt under me lol.. some people even let there kids sleep in there pushchairs most of the time specially if there out or dont want to wake them to put them into there cot :wacko: it might be wrong but i spose what harm would it do really if they were in pain surly they would be screaming :shrug: .. but iv got a moses basket and ill be getting a cot/bassinent most likly in february now as my mums said she can help me out then so :) and my pushchair im getting anyway has a carrycot and it states on it that it can be used with a moses basket stand as a bed

Sorry but i dont want aload of arguements to start over SIDS i was only asking about cots and mattress's .. i dont think anyone wants to think about there baby having it tbh and i dont exactly know much about it and everything but im going to make sure with my health visitor when she comes next week what she recommends

Sorry Anothersquish! Didn't mean to downplay the whole SIDS risk.. of course everyone would do whatever they can to reduce the risk and probably more so if like yourself you've lost a child this way. Didn't mean to brush it off as not important because of course it is. :hugs:

- beccy it's all to do with what you're happy with and what you can afford, for example if come january you have come into an extra bit of money over christmas by all means go and find the most expensive mattress you can! They are worth it especially if you buy a cotbed as the baby will be using it for a long time :thumbup:
it's always good to spend more on the mattress if you can xxx

we are getting the Mammut cot from ikea in pink/red, its 115 quid i think! also comes in blue/light blue

Yeah i seen that one in blue :) its nice
but room colour is cream and browns and like neutral colours :haha: so iv got to go for something white if anything xx

I got the Cosatto Arlo cotbed in Walnut. It was on special at the Baby Show and was £180 Inc. a sprung mattress and delivery. I thought that was resonable, as it will last lo years ;)
you should try eBay - fab bargains!!xx

That is really good!
alot of people said good stuff about babyshow shame i dont live nearr enough when it was on :( ill have a look on ebay if i cant find anything i think itll be one from mothercare or mamas and papas x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->