Cots?

I think personally for me it wasnt all about the "comfort" (although that did play a huge part) but more about how much support the mattress would give to a newborn through to a 2/3yr old as they grow and develop. I wouldnt put a cheap piece of foam on my bed and therefore wouldnt put it in babies cot!

Perhaps comfort in the sense used by adults isnt the word that should be used. Comfort in the way of air circulation, a better quality covering which will prevent baby getting too hot/cold, reduce the cases of baby sweating in bed (sweat contributes towards nappy rash and a baby who has sweated is more likely to wake up) the air circulation is important, a baby whose circulation is restricted may well be more restless. 'comfort' doesnt mean "oo yes this is soft" it also means the temperature regulation etc.

Most of those things I would class more as safety issues than comfort ones. Air circulation / breathability of the mattress of course is very important for health reasons.

just wanted to add to this as there seems to be an underlying implication that the cheaper end of the market is not 'safe' - without getting into the benefits of buying more expensive over cheaper etc

BUT

please remeber, especially those on a budget, that ALL of these mattresses meet the required safety standard

I would just say to anyone get the best one you can afford. for me it was a brand new sprung one from mothercare which was 70, to some thats cheap but it was the most i could spend and it seems fine. So becyboo just spend as much as you can and thats the best you can do.

PD I couldnt agree more. I wasnt trying to pick arguments was just simply stating my opinion and whilst i agree that all the mattresses meet the safety requirements i personally think i would rather buy a cheaper bouncer etc and spend the extra bit ive saved on a more expensive mattress.
Thats just my view on it though xx

yeah i agree, i didnt get a bouncer till the other week and got one in the sale because i spent more on the mattress, but yeah thats what id suggest to anyone, just spend the max you can and thats the best you can do.If you can only send 40 or so then well thats all you can do isnt it, i know someone who spent nearly 300! i am just not able to spend that much at all, 70 was a lot for me!

Wel iv got everything now except the cot and mattress and bedding so iv left that till last so i duno .. i would of spent more money on the mattress i didnt realise they were quite expensive tbh i never looked into it :shrug: maybe i should of .. should of thought things through properley before i brought things but nothing i can do now i spose ..

i not get one dead cheap anyway but i wont be getting a proper expensive one so proberley about 50/60 pound but it depends in january how much money i have i spose
xx

We got a great sprung mattress from Boots for our cotbed - price online is £70 - we got it when they had their points event on, then there was 20% off it and then you got 10% off as its baby buys....worked out we only paid £48 for it!!

If they do them on boots i might have a look if they do one to fit the cot i end up picking cause my mum gets staff discount off so itll be cheaper :D i never thought of looking on there :thumbup:

dont worry you honestly have ages to get it, id get the cot soonish and then by the time its built up and xmas is passed then you can order the mattress. I did without bedding to get the sprung mattress, the foam was cheaper but not heard good things about them. So i just bought 4 plain cot sheets a mattress protector and a waterproof cover. Then just using blankets, didnt get a set or anything you dont need them you can save there,

Not read through all the replys but personally im not getting my cot for another good few months...iv bought a beautiful crib which im hoping will last her til 5/6 months and will be in our room anyway. So if i bought a cot right now it would only be taking up space and gathering dust? Plus we are going to be moving house so it would just be another thing to move?

Anyway, i agree with PD that you can only spend what you can afford...just make sure you find the best deal for whatever that amount is. If you're not too fussed then maybe wait til jan sales? Im guna keep my eyes peeled incase a good deal comes up and il just get my mum to store it!

Yeah im moving house next year aswell so i miswel wait till iv moved cause i need to make sure the cot will fit in whatever room ill be having and everything :) x

yeah they're not essential right at the start unless you're planning on not having a crib/moses basket...

would be a pain in the arse to de-assemble and lug about from house to house, and even if flat pack, would be a pretty big box to store somewhere? and a mattress?

just keep your eyes peeled hun for any good deals around the sales, you can look at your leisure and sspend your money wisely on the best deal :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->