Countdown to Canada

Stuff hasn't been selling on fab marketplace but DH popped the big stuff (over $100 value) on gumtree this afternoon and already sold the lawnmower, the TV (getting picked up at 8:30 tomorrow morning), has inquiries on the washer and dryer, and someone wants the over locker posted to QLD so I need to get a quote tomorrow. Yesterday someone came to get a bunch of free stuff (several people came, but the one in particular was someone who does it to resell.) including our dining room chairs and the leather love seat that isn't in terrible shape. It's made our house seem really empty!
Today we cleaned everything out of the kids' rooms except the beds, and a friend is coming tomorrow at 10:30 to help disassemble the beds. Still lots to clean out of my room tomorrow, and then DH has all the computer stuff to pack up and haul the desks out. Kids and I will be going to mom and dads tomorrow afternoon to cook dinner and DH will join us after the carpeted rooms are fully emptied and the cleaner has been to give the quote.

I'm glad there has been more selling success since listing on Gumtree. Sounds like you're making great progress :D

Reactions: NDH
Glad you had more selling success with gumtree! Sounds like progress is moving quickly! :)

Glad everything is moving well. Must feel weird having almost nothing left in the house.

When do you plan to move across fully to. Your parents?

Well we will be sleeping there from this point forward, but DH and I will be coming back to the house for the next couple of days to finish up emptying the house.

TV is gone, dryer is being picked up in half an hour (I just finished giving it a good cleaning) washing machine is getting picked up this afternoon and I am doing a cleaning cycle in it now. The lady wanting my overlocker was happy with the shipping quote and I will be arranging for a courier to pick it up friday. That's $750 for those four things.

I've listed the cot on a giveaway site and we will be dismantling it when the babies wake from their nap. Currently the kids and dh are emptying their room and taking beds apart.

Sounds like it's all coming together (or leaving the house...) really well.

I managed to pick up 4 more auitcasesntoday for $5 each when I went to drop off some donations at an op shop. Now we have 16 suitcases (giving us the option to pack a couple extra that we would have to pay for)

We found out today that sleeping in the ferry terminal is not an option (I didnt think it would be) and we'll have to get a hotel room. We managed to find an amazing hotel deal - two rooms for $160 just about 10 minutes from the ferry terminal.

Sorted through our folders of paperwork today and culled a ton of stuff we dont need to bring with us, but still have almost 5kg of paperwork lol :/ BUT I'm feeling ok with our being able to stay within weight allowance. Dad found their luggage scale for us today and I weighed the biggest heaviest bag we have (not one that has been packed, just one that has random stuff thrown into it from the house) and it was 29kg - that's definitely one that will need to have a lot of jackets in it, or other bulky but light things in it be cause of its size, but even that was better than I was expecting. And another super heavy one I was expecting to weigh 30kg came in at 19. Even the suitcase of books (which is the smallest suitcase we are bringing) which I was sure I would need to redistribute books in all of the suitcases to halve the weight came up at exactly 23kg. I was sure that couldnt be right so we weighed a 12kg bag of flour in a ring sling and it was accurate (it could be out by a few hundred grams either way I suppose but if we aim for 22kg we should be good)

I'm glad you have managed to find a good hotel deal :) You're doing great with all the packing!

That's great you've found a hotel room so close to the ferry terminal and at such a good price.
I'm also glad you have some extra suitcases for in case. And awesome that the bags are weighing in lighter than you expected!

DH got all of his stuff packed into 3 suitcases tonight, half unpacked one I had already packed (he put stuff that I had packed in it with other things into his own suitcase) and I packed a suitcase of sentimental/keepsake stuff (with additional clothing etc packed into it for cushioning for the fragile things. I wrapped all the small fragile things in fabric and then put them into my chicken basket lol. I figure the shape of the wire basket will help keep the th gas from being smashed together and breaking even if the suitcase gets jostled around a fair bit. Not everything fit though, so I did the same with other things and a small box, and then a special China box DHs nana painted for our engagement is wrapped in a couple layers of fabric and then is I the middle of a big wool sweater. I hope that's enough protection...

I am feeling good about the amount of packing we got done (considering the already packed suitcases will need minimal rearranging due to weight issues and we still have empty and half empty suitcases and very little left in the "must come" pile. So much other crap to get out of the garage though lol

That's great the packing is going so well!

How have the kids been with seeing so much stuff being chucked and or left behind? Are they upset certain things can't go with or not phased by it at all?

I think because we gave them the space to pack the things they wanted to bring first instead of having to chooae what to get rid of it made it a lot easier for them. Honestly they have all taken it so well, I am blown away by how well they are all dealing with it. Even saranna who hates change.

Hello NDH, wanted to wish you and your family a wonderful new year. I hope everything is going well for you and that the children are enjoying a very different winter to the ones they are used to in Oz?

Hi happy new year to you too :)

The kids very much have cabin fever due to the weather and are very bummed that it hasn’t snowed yet lol. Cold and rainy. They are used to going outside being a process now though, instead of just going in and out at will, clothing optional lol.

Feeling very cooped up but getting by. Quarantine Actually went really well, but the last (nearly) two weeks we have been with the in-laws is considerably harder. Playmates for the kids made so much difference. Plus FIL being unwell and sleeping a lot, well he is getting pretty cranky with how noisy the kids are being, and they’ve all honesty been so well behaved, apart from the two year olds who are just two and need to be able to be loud and messy and actively ...

We are feeling already like we have outstayed our welcome, but there is nothing to rent under $2000/m, and without a job there is no way we can acquire a rental anyway. DH has had a week of work already (35h over 4 days) and Is attempting to establish his own business but I doubt that will help us find a rental in that market.

Not to mention we are still trying to save up our share of a down payment to buy a farm with friends, ideally for this spring, and apart from renting making it nearly impossible to save that much extra in a short time we don’t want want to be tied to a lease if we end up moving to a farm in 4 or 5 months.

This too shall pass but it’s a very stressful and uncomfortable time

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"