cutting finger nails

jennie_78

Mum to Caitlin, and TTC
Reaction score
I really need to cut caitlin's finger nails. At the moment they are getting quite long, and sharp, and she keeps scratching herself so shes in her scratch mittens.

How and when do you cut your LO's nails ?

Ive tried doing it:

* When shes awake ( No chance!):dohh:

* When shes asleep ( it wakes her
as soon as i touch her hands and she moves them so i cant do it):dohh:

* After a bath ( shes wide awake while they are still soft, so cant keep them still):dohh:

So please could you tell me how you manage to do this, im so frightened to do attempt it whilst shes waving her hands about.

I have baby nail clippers, and nail scissors.
Which do you use ??

I have only just done my LO's!!!! I used nail clippers, found them alot easier than the scissors. Up until now her nails werent that bad and i used to just file them with a baby nail file.

I clipped Peytons nails a few days after birth, she was scratching herself all up. I just did it while she was awake with baby nail clippers. I just had to hold her fingers firmly in mine. It wasnt too bad, I didnt clip her skin or anything. Good luck, Im sure you will do fine. :thumbup:

I use nail scissors as Im too scared to use the clippers! The first few times, I got my mum to do it because I was TERRIFIED and I would watch it! His wee hands would flail about and my mum managed to stay calm...I was in awe!

So then I had my go...and cut Brandons finger and made him bleed :cry: I felt terrible!! But he was fine, didnt even flinch!!

Ive just learned to do it and take my time! If u try and distract ur LO then that should make it easier! I always lie Brandon on his changing mat and get OH to talk to him while I go above his head and clip them!

OH still hasnt done it yet tho...hes far too scared!
x x x

im the opposite i use nail scissors and find them easier, i cut alex finger the one and only time i used clippers

when alex was smaller i used to do them either awake or asleep but used to hold his hand for a while so he got used to me holding it then tried to cut them , if he got fussy i used to do one hand then a while later do the other one

i feel like im cutting them everyother day at the min though because he scratches everything

:hugs:

I get Katies sister to hold her hand while i cut them. Works a treat.

Most of us have made our LO fingers bleed, its part of some ancient parenting ritual :haha:

Good luck.

V xxxx

i nibble my LO's nails because i was to terrified to use my clippers.

Thanks everyone :hugs:

Well i have decided todays the day they are definatly getting done lol

Im going to wait until OH gets home from work, and he can talk to her and keep her distracted. I will try with the clippers, and see how i get on.

Thanks again everyone, i love this site for help :happydance:

i nibble my baby's little sharp nails too, when she is sleeping, she doesn't notice!

I was also recommended that I bite them myself, which I did yesterday. I'm too scared of using clippers!!

Originally when my mum told me to bite his nails, I laughed and didn't beleive her, but my HV backed her up, so she must be right!

I've been filing H's nails every Sunday while she's asleep.

Mum suggested nibbling them... but I couldn't get anything but filing to work.

I file Imi's when shes asleep x

I'm BFing and i normally just bite them off when he's feeding as he's preoccupied, ive tried everything else but he's such a wriggler and IU don't want to hurt him. x

I'm BFing and i normally just bite them off when he's feeding as he's preoccupied, ive tried everything else but he's such a wriggler and IU don't want to hurt him. x

Same here... much easier when he's feeding because he's calm and not flailing about.

I file buns when I notice them getting long - he is always fussing and moving though - is hard!
xx

My baby is 8.5 months old...I've never ever used scissors or clippers on her! I've only bitten her nails!!....*blush*....even her toenails...oh gosh!!...
I'm SO afraid...she's SO squirmy!!

Usually hubby and I do it as a team effort -- one of us will hold Christian and the other will clip the nails.

I was told at the hospital to file my LOs nails with a baby nail file. So far it's worked fine.

My friend, on the other hand, recently had a baby and he tried cutting her nails and cut her finger tip really bad :( I felt so bad for his LO :cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->