Dairy free moms

Hello!

Well, I chickened out of having butter on my hot cross buns (butter seems to be a bad thing for me, so I figure A, too...and we were out, and without giving tmi, I didn't want to run the risk of having an interesting tummy) buuuuut, I had a slice of grilled vegetable and cheese pizza and a chocolate brownie....

...I then freaked out for about an hour, convincing myself I was going to be sick, A was going to be sick....

...and, so far, so good! We are both doing ok (fingers crossed!)

I know I should probably try ice cream etc next, but I think anything that I have to build up to slowly will mean A has to, too. And I don't think milk or cream will ever be on my agenda, so I will have them at home, small bits, just to see how my littlest deals with them.

So. Success so far! :)

How's you?

Glad it has gone well so far - I hope you enjoyed your yummy food!

I haven't had dairy for a couple of weeks, will probably leave it for another couple then try again, perhaps on two consecutive days.

I have been avoiding Soya too, as a precaution more than anything, I figured if I had to give up dairy then giving up Soya wasn't a big deal. So I guess I need to test to see if Cora actually has an issue with Soya or not. Any advice on the best way to do this? It is easy for me to trial dairy because it is easy to work out exactly how dairy something is, but I don't have a clue about Soya. Should I just have a soya yoghurt? Are they nice, I don't like the idea of them (for absolutely no logical reason :haha:), any recommendations?

I'd go for a chinese takeaway Shiv, loads of soy sauce :hehe:

Ally is fine with soya...we are lucky there...and soya yogurts are VERY nice!! I've just bought alpro forest fruits, and highly recommend them!

Soya is in all sorts of things...a lot of the DF cakes contain soya...so hat could be something else to try?

Alpro also do yummy chocolate / custard / caramel pots (free from aisles...don't need fridge, unlike yog)

How's you, Booda?

The soy(a) in things like dressings, food additives, & oils is usually cooked to crap & the proteins are so far denatured it doesn't bother many soy intolerant babies. I can't have soy sauce, soy milk, yogurts, creamers, etc. i am glad I am not the only one trialing things in! I had a teaspoon of sour cream & cheese on 2 tacos a couple weeks ago (maybe a tbls total) and DS was refluxing a few hours later & back arching and crying about 12 hours later. I felt like a jerk! He was no where near as bad as he was last time I accidentally got dairy. Hoping he is growing out soon!

shiv just do small amounts & see how it goes : ) good luck!

How's you, Booda?

We're all good here. I try to sort of limit soya, it doesnt cause danny any major symptoms, just his skin flare-ups and a but more puking than average but he's not bothered by it.

We've recently started BLW (well, putting food in front of him and letting him play with it) and he seems to be chomping on everything we put in front of him......last week he's been biting off chunks, chewing and swallowing :wacko: eek! Hid farts are absolutely rank, stink of rotten eggs lol, but i don't think it's anything to be concerned about as he's not in any pain or discomfort.

omfg gtg he's chomping on one of his dad's pickled onion monster munches WTFF

:rofl:

Blw is so much fun...I just love the facial expressions!

Just realised Ally and Danny are *exactly* the same age!

Bloody hell I had to wrestle the pickled onion monster munch off him back then :O i checked and there doesn't seem to be any dairy in them thank feck, do have soy protein though so im preparing for an itchy face, not sure how much of the crisp he actually swallowed but the whole thing had turned to much and he's sucked most of the mush off his hands and as making funny chewing faces.......turns out G gave him one on purpose to "see what he'd do with it".
What the hell did he think he'd do with it!? what he does with everything....shoves it in his mouth!!!!! Argh, i'd be as well giving him a flipping McDonalds! Bloody monster munchies. :doh:

ANYway tennisgal im glad you're able to have some of the things that were 'banned', hopefully it continues! You're giving me hope....pizzzzzzzzzzzaaaaaaaaaa..........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
macaroni cheese on pizza..........

Booda I hope you've got a video camera, you'll need to capture all the funny faces!

My LO has had bad reflux these past two days but none of the other usual symptoms, I'm racking my brain to think what I've eaten but I've only been at home so I'm 100% sure I've not touched dairy. I have eaten a fair bit of wheat though (bread, bagels, pasta, biscuits etc) so I hope he's not starting to react to that! I actually gave in and had a bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes today, I've been avoiding them because of the peanuts incase he has a reaction (also the jar of yummy peanut butter I've been dying to open!) but I thought at this rate I'll end up living on on water and rice cakes, so I just did it!

I did a dairy-free shop last week and have found some things that I really like, and others that I hate. Basically any cakes/biscuits made with rice flour SUCK! A lot of the 'free from' dairy things seem be free from wheat/gluten too, but I really don't like the taste of the rice flour. I bought tesco's 'free from' jam tarts, bakewell tarts, chocolate cakes and chocolate muffins and they're all made with rice flour and have gone in the bin (after trying them, obviously!). DH is normally like a dustbin and even he wouldn't eat them. They just have a horrible aftertaste. In a way it's quite good, as they all contained soya and I was planning to cut that out too, so the decision was made for me. But here are some other things I've tried and liked - hope it helps someone!

Alpro almond milk - I think someone mentioned this previously but OMG it's GORGEOUS! I've tried rice milk, coconut milk and oat milk but I wasn't too keen on any of them - the almond milk is yummy. It tastes lovely in cereal and makes a nice hot chocolate if you warm it in the microwave and add some cadbury cocoa powder. It also makes a delicious coffee (decaf of course!) - finally I can have a decent coffee in the morning! And it's the only one I can drink straight from a glass because I found the others too sweet/sickly, not sweet enough or a bit grainy. It's full of calcium and vitamins too. If anyone is looking for a dairy and soya free milk, I'd recommend trying this one first.

Tesco cinnamon and raisin bagels - lovely toasted for breakfast or a quick snack. Their plain bagles, wholemeal bread and pittas and their crumpets are dairy and soya free too.

Vitalite spread - I tried the 'Pure' one first, but the Vitalite is much nicer and more buttery - I don't think I'll ever go back to butter now, tbh. It's totally dairy and soya free.

Mrs Crimble coconut macaroons from the 'free from' aisle - dairy and soya free, really sweet and chewy and delicious (but very high in calories and fat)! I ate a whole pack last night :blush:

Tesco 'normal' angel cake - again dairy and soya free (you wouldn't think so as it has a creamy filling, but it's actually marshmallow).

Tesco 'lighter choices' lemon drizzle cakes - dairy and soya free and absolutely blummin yummy.

Tesco 'value' lightly fruited cake - very nice on it's own or with a smear of vitalite spread.

Tesco 'value' chocolate bourbons and ginger nuts - both dairy and soya free. Party rings are also nice but a bit sweet for me sometimes!

Tesco 'value' plain chocolate - dairy free but may contain traces of soya. It's never going to beat galaxy, but it's good enough if you need a choccy fix! Make sure you get the one from the chocolate aisle (red packet) not the one from the cooking aisle, which has dairy in it. It tastes like bourneville chocolate and is dirt cheap (I think it was 35 or 45p for a big bar). DH didn't like it from the bar but I melted it to use as a dipping sauce for strawberries and banana and he liked that.

Oatland oaties biscuits - like hobnobs but a bit sweeter so I think they're a bit nicer. Cheaper too. Dairy and soya free (as are hobnobs - not the choccy ones obviously lol).

Hartley's ready made jellies - I love the ones with pineapple and raspberries in and they're fat free with virtually no calories. Great to have in the fridge as a quick treat.

'Free from' korma and tikka masala sauces - can't remember the brand, sorry, but they're in the free from aisle and come in pouches. Free from just about everything and taste really nice.

Tesco jalfrezi and rogan josh sauces (the normal ones with a purple label) - the only 'normal' jars of curry I could find with no dairy in.

Uncle Ben's sauces - virtually all of the chinese sauces are dairy free but some have soy sauce so watch that. Great to have in the cupboard for a quick dinner with the microwave long grain rice.

You'll notice that most of the things on my list are sweet but that's because 'normal' food has pretty much been taking care of itself for me because we usually have some version of meat/potatoes/veg for dinner, or chicken with rice/pasta and some kind of sauce, slow cooked stews/chilli etc. We don't eat much in the way of creamy sauces or cheese. And for lunch I've just been having a boring ham sandwich or tin of soup. So it's breakfast, coffee and snacks that I've been struggling with! I'm not recommending that anyone live on coconut macaroons :haha:

Before I go, I must add that you really do have to check the label of everything - I found so many things had hidden dairy and soya in, it's ridiculous! Tesco is very good at putting 'contains milk/soya' in their allergy information, but so many of the branded products don't :growlmad:

^Vitalite coupon offer is still going but this time its a personalised coupon; because its a kukutoo coupon I find it lets you print a lot more than other coupon printing software, it let me print 5 from one email address but it will let you print more if you use multiple email addresses. If you have an ASDA about, vitalite is usually £1 there so only 70p with coupon

https://vitalite.kukutoo.com/thirtypoff

xx

Ladies... I'm more convinced than ever that dairy is the issue with LO. The paediactrician read my very detailed week by week account of his symptoms from birth and took account of Grace's symptoms as a baby too (looks like she had it and went undiagnosed... :cry: she had blood in every stool after switching to formula and I took her to GP 3 or 4 times about this and they told me it was nothing :cry:) They've prescribed me the dairy free formula, although he's had a stomach bug and I've stuck to breastfeeding him solely for the last few days as I didn't want to introduce anything new.

He's been in so much pain this afternoon and I accidentally had muffins for breakfast that contained milk (Sainsbury's own... the ones we normally buy don't have milk in them and didn't check the packet before consumming these ones :nope:.)

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

It's so hard to see them in pain :nope: Just know that once dairy leaves your / his system he will be soooo changed and sooo happy. Are you planning to carry on BFing or moving to DF formula?

Hi ladies...well we were prescri
bed nutramigen as he gets some bottles from daddy, but he hates it :( should I start expressing instead? Dairy free today and I feel lighter than normal x

Are there any chocolates dairy free?????

holland and Barrett do a good selection :D

Tesco and Morrisons sell Choices chocolates, which are to die for!

Cheezly pizza!

It actually worked really well, Im a veggie anyway so i practically lived on cheese - felt like crying when my OH sat down with a massive cheesy pizza, anyway i didn't really like the texture of the cheezly but when melted - it's the most similar thing ive found to real cheese :happydance:

DSC00308.jpg

DSC00309.jpg

We are going to see a dietician at the hospital this afternoon to discuss weaning (LO is 4 months now).

Hopefully I'll get some information.

I know this is the breastfeeding forum but I wondered if any of you know if you can get cartons of hypo formula?

I got a tub of Aptamil Pepti from the GP in Dec to give her some when we got diagnosed to give her while I got the CMP out of my system.

I've not used it again and it's been open in the cupboard, I just read that it should be discarded after 4 weeks.

I would just like to have a hypo formula in the cupboard just incase! I have to exclusively express (because we had so many problems with weight loss etc and now LO won't Brest feed) and I'm always worried I wouldn't produce enough and obviously can't just pop to the supermarket for a carton!

Do you other ladies keep a back up formula?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->