• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Debate: - Gun Laws and Self Defence

Just to add... i live in a block for keyworkers. so i have 3 cops downstairs, 2 doctors, a fireman and liam is a soldier. Think im alright, dont you ;)

Only an idiot would rob us :haha:

And he better be strong too... my neighbours scare the crap out of me. 6 foot 4 with a baton?!

No, to buy a gun you have to go through background checks from the FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation, the OSBI (Oklahoma state bureau of Investigation), The local police. once it is bought it can be sold without a license, unless it's a handgun. With handguns it's illegal to sell second hand handguns.

My parents put all three of us kids through "Hunter education courses". I was given my first gun (the .22) at 14 years old! I wasn't allowed to get it out for myself (without my father) until I was 17.

The most feared sound in the dark is the cocking of a shotgun. Makes almost all intruders run!!!

So because they are dangerous they should not be allowed to anyone? Shouldn't we make cars illegal to, by that logic?

Believe it or not, I'm actually for stricter gun laws. I don't want handguns on the streets, I see no need for anyone to have them. I'm from an urban area, and I'd like to see my home city become a lot safer if people didn't have guns.

But hunting rifles IMO are a different story, and my husband is a hunter so I wouldn't want that right taken from him. He'd pass every application and test administered to get one, so since he's got nothing to hide we don't mind if it becomes more difficult for potentially unstable people to get a gun.

14 :shock:
Im stunned... not in a bad way (dont take this wrong) but a 14 year old with a gun. a killing machine. :shock:

Is that legal? How can the USA allow 14 year olds to use weapons like that at that age?
I hope this doesn't come across wrong, i'm GENIUNELY shocked and confused. The FBI would happily allow that?

:shrug:

Interestingly enough I got this in an email just today. ( I didn't caps it...I just didn't feel like retyping it...I copied and pasted. lol)

"THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS EIGHTEEN MINUTES.

THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .45 S&W ROUND IS ABOUT 1,225 FEET PER SECOND......

GO DO THE MATH!"

No, to buy a gun you have to go through background checks from the FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation, the OSBI (Oklahoma state bureau of Investigation), The local police. once it is bought it can be sold without a license, unless it's a handgun. With handguns it's illegal to sell second hand handguns.

My parents put all three of us kids through "Hunter education courses". I was given my first gun (the .22) at 14 years old! I wasn't allowed to get it out for myself (without my father) until I was 17.

The most feared sound in the dark is the cocking of a shotgun. Makes almost all intruders run!!!

So because they are dangerous they should not be allowed to anyone? Shouldn't we make cars illegal to, by that logic?

but cars arent built to kill, guns are!!

So, when you say it's not that easy to get a gun over there, what you mean is it's not easy to get a hand gun, but you can get a second hand rifle or shot-gun without any checks? Is that right or have I mis-understood? sorry!

ETA - lol, Tasha we posted at the same time!! Also, I 'think' emergency response is faster in UK, so maybe that is why I feel safer. Obviously it depends on the call and the situation, but if you call to say you are being threatened with a gun an armed response team (not all officers are armed in UK) will be with you pretty darn quick

I know im impartial to this debate, but as much as i agree with having a weapon in the bedroom - i probably would get a gun - derek bird (the cumbria gun man) passed all the checks to get a gun and went on a killing spree with it. So whos to say someone who has passed the checks wouldnt use the weapon with intent? xx

If I did like dogs, I'd get myself a mastiff. Or a Cane Corso!

Ok but what are the statistics that someone will actually break into your home... if you lock your doors, windows, etc.

Especially with intent to harm :shrug:

Obviously it can happen and does...

It's the fact that it can happen - surely it's better to have something to defend yourself with in the most dangerous situation you could find yourself in, than to say 'ah well, it's unlikely that someone will break into my house, let alone with the intention to harm myself, my partner, my child...so why prepare myself for that possibility?'

Iyswim?

I know im impartial to this debate, but as much as i agree with having a weapon in the bedroom - i probably would get a gun - derek bird (the cumbria gun man) passed all the checks to get a gun and went on a killing spree with it. So whos to say someone who has passed the checks wouldnt use the weapon with intent? xx

I was gonna post this earlier, but wasn't sure if id read it right! I agree, pretty much anyone can pass a test THEN break the law - im security cleared, so i can pretty much stroll through customs with no problems. Doesn't mean i wont be smuggling anything... or hoarding a few illegals... or trafficking ... (purely saying that to proove a point!)

As far as I know the FBI doesn't know about it! We don't register our guns like the UK, only handguns.

And I love how you called me a killing machine, that was nice! :O

Do you have any idea what a .22 long rifle is?

Honestly I think theres no place for guns at all :shrug:

My husband has been using guns since he was a boy. He's been deer hunting with his father for many years, and boys in my elementary school (ages 6-12) often got out of school during deer season to go hunting. We have children here much younger than 14 who know how to use guns, and often have their own (kept safely stowed away by the parents of course).

Honestly I think it's more dangerous to have a dog that will attack an intruder in the house...particularly with a child. This coming from someone who was attacked twice by my ex BF's mum's dog (over food!) simply because it was 'trained' to attack intruders - how can you confidently train a dog to differentiate between an intruder and guest, or a child playing rough?

It's like wearing your seatbelt, I'm unlikely to get in a wreck tonight on the way home, but I still wear it. Whoever it was that said she knew about the Boy Scouts, do you know what the boy scout motto is?

You are a thousand times more likely to die in a car than on a plane...you still have to wear their seatbelts...do you see what I mean. Why assume it won't happen to me?

This debate seems to be turning into a gun debate so i thought i would add my 2 pence worth. I don't believe guns should be legal at all in the u.k. no matter what they are used for. Just look at Dumblane :nope:

As far as I know the FBI doesn't know about it! We don't register our guns like the UK, only handguns.

And I love how you called me a killing machine, that was nice! :O

Do you have any idea what a .22 long rifle is?

No, i called the GUN a killing machine. Anyone can hold one, its the GUN that is a machine built to kill. The person firing it i would hope has a relative amount of skill & knowledge about what he or she is holding to use it wisely or not at all.

And yes i know what a rifle is, couldn't tell you the difference between the different types mind, but my definition of guns is this: They serve one purpose - to fire a round at high velocity to kill or maim an object. My OH is a soldier.. so yeah, i know what a rifle is, and what its capable of.

Thats why i was so shocked a 14 year old was given one. As i said previously - dont take it the wrong way, im just genuinely stunned that there is a need for a 14 year old to have one.

Where are you from Blah? I don't see it in your dealy....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->