Digital Cameras!

Waiting4Bump

Reaction score
Right, I want to get a digital camera with my birthday money. I don't want one that does anything majorly special, just a good enough ones to get some nice pictures for when Baby arrives!

I would prefer one with a plug-in rechargeable battery rather than one where you have to use AA batteries.

I can spend up to around £200.

So what can you all recommend? x

Do you want to get into photography, or just take pics when you feel like it?

Do you want to talk pics where your baby is in focus and the background is blurry?

Do you want just snapshots or pics that you'll be able to blow up and gift people as gifts, put them on walls etc?

Does it have to be compact and fit in a little handbag? Or do you want something a bit bigger?

It all depends on what you really want TBH.

Do you want to get into photography, or just take pics when you feel like it?

Do you want to talk pics where your baby is in focus and the background is blurry?

Do you want just snapshots or pics that you'll be able to blow up and gift people as gifts, put them on walls etc?

Does it have to be compact and fit in a little handbag? Or do you want something a bit bigger?

It all depends on what you really want TBH.

I was only saying last night that I'd love to get into photography, & take some really good photos of my baby, that I could give as gifts to people. But I just think it would be really expensive to do that, wouldn't it?
What kind of camera would I need for that!?

I do have more money, I was just thinking around a rough budget! :thumbup:

I have a Samsung and it's so easy to use, I love it. This one is a bargain and would leave you change for a good memory card and a nice case with money to spare ;)

https://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/st...null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=873404&category_oid=

OK, if you want to get into photography, don't mess around with point and shoots or bridge cameras, get a DSLR with a kit lens. You can get amature ones fairly cheap TBH. Canon, Nikon and Sony are the 3 big brands ATM that are being reviewed alot in the magazines. Sony have just brought out a new range, so you may be able to get one of their older models a bit cheaper (alpha 200, 300, 350) instead of say an alpha 380. There's not alot of differences and the lenses fit the same.

If you buy a camera with a kit lens, you can buy more lenses later, but the kit lens is absolutely fine for doing portraits (honest, I use my kit lens for portraits!) if you want to expand and get macro lenses and distance lenses etc, you can. You can use the on camera flash and upgrade if you want to an off camera flash (jessops sell them for around £100 but you can get them cheaper).

It's not expensive to get into, but it's very easy to want more! There's cheap DIY ways of achieving alot of things, like a backdrop, you can buy them for however much, or use a sheet, ironed and stuck to the wall. There's alot of scope to expand your kit, but all you ned to start with is a body and a lens (which you buy together).

I'd advise you to buy practical photography (best mag I've found), maybe a book, join the photography club in the clubs section (read through it, there's a few posts explaining aperture etc, ask questuins and people will answer - and I'm more than happy to answer any questions that I can) and maybe do a course (colleges often have free ones throughout the year).

You're best off going to a camera shop and seeing what you like, what feels right in your hands etc and then looking online for the best deal though.

Let us know how you get on xx

I can only echo Mynxie's advice - she really knows what she's talking about! :thumbup: Come on over and join the photography club here on BnB :) Feel free to ask away - I'll also be happy to help all I can :)

Well, I want something to do, because I'm thinking of not going back to work for a year once baby is here, so I just want a hobby, because I'm sure there will be times when I might get bored! :wacko: Maybe! LOL So I'll have a look in the photography group!

Thank you girlies! xx

you're very welcome :)

if you get a DSLR though, you won't be limited til you're fairly advanced - if at all, whereas the others you will "grow out of" as you learn. An idiots guide to photography has useful bits and pieces in TBH. The most important part is to just enjoy it though!

Yes, enjoying your photography is the best advice I was ever given. Almost 5 years later and I'm a fledgling freelance 'tog, and it's the best thing I ever did - just wish I could pack in the day job! :rofl:

Hope to see you in the Photography Group here :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->