• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ears pierced - girls

I understand why people don't. It's obvious to me. But who cares if people do? It's their baby. It's not going to ruin lives or change the world or create serial killers or even bullies or slightly annoying types. :shrug: I think most people are aware of the realities and I think Aiden's mummy's post has been informative and thank you for that. :flower:

But the ones where people are harassing (albeit mildly) a mum who chooses to have her baby's ears pierced... she's not enforcing you to have it done to your baby, she's not enforcing that anyone have it done to their baby, it's not becoming an ideal, or changing the way society perceives babies. Her baby is safe and fine and well or so it seems. If her baby gets an infection or something, then if you're caring you can care but no matter how much you care you're not going to care more than her. So... :shrug:

It's not even something that affects the well being of you or your children or society like beauty pageants or silicone boobs or the desensitisation to violence. It's a pierced ear. :shrug:

all 3 of my girls have their ears pierced. i got them pierced when then were babies because they heal faster when they havent been played with. I do think it looks pretty, but thats obvious because if i hated it i wouldnt have done it.

ShanandBoc- I had them done as babies do not feel pain as younger children and adults do. Also they heal very quickly. She does not play with them so they did not become infected. Of course I think they look pretty but that was not the reason for me to choose to have them done!! X

ShanandBoc- I had them done as babies do not feel pain as younger children and adults do. Also they heal very quickly. She does not play with them so they did not become infected. Of course I think they look pretty but that was not the reason for me to choose to have them done!! X

Just out of curiosity, how do you know this? I would say, if anything, babies felt pain MORE than young children and adults :shrug: Not trying to cause an argument, just wondered

An infant may not feel pain like we do.... but they also don't understand like we do, so you can't warn them, or ask them if it's okay to cause them pain for your own views on beauty.

I still dont get it tho :shrug: or am i just being daft lol, u chose to do them as a baby yes but thats not a reason that anyone gets a babies ears pierced, its for looks ultimately, do u get me? :flower:

Im pretty sure babies feel pain, maybe even nore so, they just cant tell us. They can still become infected, or cause injury no matter what age. Babies immune systems are weaker too.

Ur little girl is beautiful by the way.

What if it were Military Mummy's culture though :shrug:?

Edit: I havent read through all the thread so this might've already been covered!

Thats not what i asked or what was being discussed. Like i said my questions were out of pure curiosity, not to diss her or anything.

And tbh, culture or not, its still the same procedure :)

Thats not what i asked or what was being discussed. Like i said my questions were out of pure curiosity, not to diss her or anything.

Oh I know. Im not saying they weren't and I wasn't directing anything at you! :flower:

My daughter got her ears pierced when she was 8 months old. If I ever have another daughter i would get them pierced around the same age as well. From what I read on this thread I must be a cruel mother then. :wacko:

I dont think there is lots of pain involved in ear piercing when they'r tiny. I think their system is different than us adults. I was there when I friend had her daughter's ears pierced at 7 days. She was sleeping during the piercing. I'm not with or against piercing at a tiny age. But I dont think moms who decide to have their daughters' ears pierced when they'r tiny are cruel. This is my opinion.

I think we don't know how a baby feels or we know what kind of pain they are in .. they can't tell us.

i know every baby is different but i can honestly say none of my girls cried when their ears were pierced. Sydnee was asleep & so was Roxie & neither of them woke up, Reese was awake but didnt cry.

I'm still a bit confused too! Surely if you get them done now when you say they don't feel pain or when they're toddlers, the underlying reason for having them done is because they look nice? If not, what was your reason for getting them done at all regardless of age? I'm not picking on your at all, I just still don't understand what your reason was :flower:

For me, I'll let Aisling have them done when she's old enough to ask and understand the pain involved and responsibilities involved so at a guess I'd say at least 9 or 10 but I guess I'll assess her maturity level at the time. I had mine done at 12 I think and can't remember the pain so I don't agree with the reasoning of getting them done young to avoid it.

I don't like the look of babies with earrings and tend to feel very sorry for them because they've had pain inflicted on them for no good reason. I haven't seen any evidence so far in any of these debates which confirms that babies don't feel pain in their earlobes.

Personally, I won't be getting Hannahs ears pierced until she asks me, and she is old enough to understand that it will hurt and be able to take them out for PE etc and to clean them herself. I think about 12-13 would be an appropriate age.

She's my baby girl and I would never ever do something to her intentionally that might cause her pain and suffering. She is beautiful enough without having her ears pierced.

If Mums want to pierce their childs ears though then I have no problem with it, I think it kind of depends on the culture of the family and the 'normal' practice in the area or family that they are brought up in... who are we to judge?

When Hannah had her heel prick test at a couple of weeks old it hurt her so I know that yes, babies do feel that kind of pain. OH even said to me a couple of weeks ago 'you're not going to get Hannahs ears pierced are you?' I didn't know he felt so strongly about it but I reassured him that I wouldn't! On his side of the family all the little girls have their ears done so maybe he was starting to get worried! He told me that he didn't want his little princess having someone put needles through her ears.

i know every baby is different but i can honestly say none of my girls cried when their ears were pierced. Sydnee was asleep & so was Roxie & neither of them woke up, Reese was awake but didnt cry.

Macie was also awake and didnt even shed a tear!!!! She was laughing as they were doing it!! xx

When Hannah had her heel prick test at a couple of weeks old it hurt her so I know that yes, babies do feel that kind of pain.

I hated that test! Arf had to have it done four times in the hospital when he was first born because of jaundice and the woman got it wrong a couple of times and couldn't get enough blood. I was in a right state and I lost my temper with her because it was heartbreaking seeing and hearing my baby cry like that :cry::cry:

well my oh would have hers done now if he could he knows people with little girls her age that have had them peirced. but i think it takes the babynes away from them if that makes sence lol.

i was about 6 when i got mine done think thats quite a good age. i remeber being so excited having these little studs in my ears lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->