English-English versus American-English

there is something important you all are missing. In America there are different english's as well. I'm from St Louis we call Coke soda where in the south it's pop. There is other things like this here as well. A lot of if you really sit down and think about it no matter where you go in this country the english spoken is different with different accents, slang and words for the same things!

there is something important you all are missing. In America there are different english's as well. I'm from St Louis we call Coke soda where in the south it's pop. There is other things like this here as well. A lot of if you really sit down and think about it no matter where you go in this country the english spoken is different with different accents, slang and words for the same things!

I don't believe that is the south. That is north I believe. Here in Texas it is all called coke! "What kinda coke you want? I'll take a Big Red!" I have only heard "pop" from my northern friends.

I don't believe that is the south. That is north I believe. Here in Texas it is all called coke! "What kinda coke you want? I'll take a Big Red!" I have only heard "pop" from my northern friends.

I've heard "pop" and "coke" in Oklahoma, and I've said both too! But my OH is from out east (VA) and calls it "soda" which has gotten me started calling it "soda" too. My family makes so much fun of me.

I just asked DH 'what do you call fizzy drinks?' ...he said 'Pop.' :) He was brought up in Kansas/Oklahoma. He says 'Pop' is Northern though.

Pop just reminds me of my Grandma, she used to say 'fizzy pop'...(In the UK)

xxx

Pop is a northern thing. Iowa, South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, places like that they all say pop. I live in Iowa and I say soda. Down south is Coke, no matter if it's Pepsi, and it's always sweet tea instead of iced tea. Iced tea and Sweet Tea are totally two different things! Massive amounts of sugar in the sweet tea and iced tea is plain.

OMG Big Red Soda! I haven't had one in years! SEND ME ONE!!!

For cleaning I just say cleaner! I think maybe we use brand names more than generic words. Don't worry no argument about townhouses.

I say "pop", or I just call it by the kind. "I'll have a Ginger Ale/Root Beer/Pepsi/Coke" etc etc.

i've only heard it called pop in the more southern states! lol guess i wasn't talking to locals he he he

i've only heard it called pop in the more southern states! lol guess i wasn't talking to locals he he he

It could be! :hugs: I've only heard it called 'soda', but you are definitely right, even in the same country things are called differently!

We call it fizzy drink or soft drink here in New Zealand :flower:

^ There are places in the world where McDonald's doesn't have a playland?? :shock: I never knew that!!

:haha: Strangely it would seem that some places in Britain don't, poor kiddies! That's what I gathered from a post I saw a wee while back. I don't know what I would have done without one! :blush: Now I'm just showing my age...

there are places in America where McDonalds don't have the play place. one is near here but we have 2 nearby that do have them.

We have soda or pop also but most call them all a coke. and we dont have town houses around here. If it has 2 homes is a duplex if it has more it's an apartment building. Also we say doctors Office you all seem to call it a doctors surgery?

Yeah, I say Drs Surgery mostly and DH didn't understand it..... =/

I say Dr.'s office too. In my mind surgery happens in a hospital, so I don't connect the word to a regular office.

I like how when they say Fanny in America they mean bum :rofl:

They say popsickle (sp) for ice lolly and frozen youghurt for ice cream!

lol at ice looly but there is a difference between frozen yougart and ice cream!!! ice cream is more fatning

oh only old people say fanny lol

The difference being that Frozen Yogurt is made with yogurt, while Ice Cream is made from heavy cream. Tasty, but like sma1588 mentioned, very fattening!!!

I say Doctor's Office as well. I agree, surgery is a medical procedure that has something to do with cutting you open. :rofl:

Mmmmm I love fro-yo ... I think I need a Yogen Fruz today.

Q. Who calls hands patties? Is it like a country thing or is it an old woman thing LOL..

because my grandmother, who is English, used to always tell me to "Wash my patties" when I was little lol

Mmmmm I love fro-yo ... I think I need a Yogen Fruz today.

Q. Who calls hands patties? Is it like a country thing or is it an old woman thing LOL..

because my grandmother, who is English, used to always tell me to "Wash my patties" when I was little lol

Iv never heard that lol

Mmmmmm, I'm thinking I may use one of my carbohydrate allowances today on some Braum's ice cream!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->