Family friendly dogs?

beth_terri

Reaction score
Were looking to get a dog next year but want to do research first. My oh loves German shepherds but I dont. My grandma and mum have cocker spaniels. My grandmas are so naughty and my mums is so timid she can be vicious if people go near her. So I'm put off that breed. We used to have a springer when I lived at my mums. She was lovely so I'd def be willing to get a springer. I also like chocolate labs. Just wondering what pedigree dogs some of you have or know that are good with young children? I want to get it from puppy age xx

We're doing the same research as you at the minute, hoping to get a dog in the next couple of years but want to make sure its the right one. I had a springer when I was younger and I loved him to bits. I'd get another springer no questions asked but DH doesn't want one :-(

We want a medium breed of dog so even though we both love labradors they're a bit bigger than what we want.

Our neighbours have a couple of border collies and they're great with my kids, they always play ball with them whenever they're out. Obviously I supervise them but Alfie is only 2 and never once have they knocked him over/been too rough.

I think most dogs can be family friendly, as long as you get them as a puppy and train them up to be good. Obviously there are some dogs which can be grumpy/snappy that id steer clear of lol.
x

as said above all dogs have the potential to be family dogs, some just have worse traits than others. I have a siberian husky and shes the softest most loveable dog ever but alot of other people are scared of her for the way she looks :( my mum has 2 samoyeds and a german shepherd and they are all lovely too :)

Most dogs can be very family friendly with the correct up bringing.

If you have young children I would personally steer clear of really tiny dogs as they can have a tendancy to be a little snippy...not always though.

Staffys are very good with children.

We have a Deerhound... they are known to be one of the most docile friendly dogs towards anyone and animals... as lng as they're treated right! ours is 5 and hes NEVER even bared his teeth! Big Gentle Giant!

labradors are meant to be very family friendly, my friend has a lhaso apso and it's the most placid dog! Need minimal walking too and are good with kids.

Eta: forgot to say do not get a jack Russell! My dog is like a baby himself! Lol

Xxx

We have two schnauzers....great dogs,they have a reputation for being Barky but ours are grand.

I have just got a puppy lab x springer :) hes 15 weeks old & we are doing puppy class once a week. You should look for a breed that will fit into your family lifestyle as some dogs need alot more exercise/mental stimulation than others such as husky/mal/collie (working dogs) also the temperement of the parents & weather as puppys they are bred indoors with a family enviroment :)
My little pup is a bundle of fun but also very quick to learn, but i know he will prob be a chewer due to the lab in him & will bounce off the walls if not walked regularly due to springer. xx

As mentioned above, most dogs can be perfect family dogs. I love small, medium and large breeds...but I'm partial to my dachshunds. :cloud9:

I wouldn't recommend working breeds, most terriers and even Labradors. They are all high energy dogs and need a release like hard playing, working them in a field and/or going on long walks at least every other day (if not every day).

I love the hound breed (I love sleep, and so do they). :happydance:

I'm partial to the Australian Shepherd breed, as I have two myself. They are super, super sweet and gentle, but I put a lot of work into them at first to make them that way. :) They have Miniature Australian Shepherds that have all the benefits of Aussies, with less energy and are somewhat smaller. They make great pets. I will never own another breed!

I make it a point never to recommend border collies to people who A) live in city limits and/or B) have children. Border collies, IMO, make fantastic dogs! But to keep them from being destructive, they have to have either a real job to do (farm work, service dog, etc.) or someone who will spend almost all day every day pushing the limits of their minds. A border collie will quickly become the suburban family's worst nightmare in terms of manners, because there's just not enough for them to do. It's a shame to see such brilliant dogs being in pet-only homes, causing their owners grief. But that's my own personal opinion, and there's exceptions to every rule. :flower:

Honestly, I'd make a list of dog breeds you like and find a mixed breed puppy who has the traits of two or more of the dogs you like. A beagle/border collie (like my husband's dog) or an Aussie/golden retriever mix would be a good choice. You'd get a dog that has enough energy to keep up with kids, but not too much energy, is gentle, but still watchful, not nippy, intelligent, and easy to train.

Maybe a breed whose characteristics you like mixed with a poodle? A labradoodle, goldendoodle, or other such mix?

I think like others have said - that any dog can be a good family dog it just needs the right up bringing and certain dogs are more likely to end up "bad" if they are not given a firm upbringing! ( consistent training etc ) For example we have two Dalmatians, Dalmatians are known for being hyperactive, whilst yes this is true one of my dalmatians is terribly hyperactive, they are two of the softest dogs i have ever known, one of them shares his bed with two cats and they use him likely a pillow! yet if you look on the dangerous dog list they come in 10th place :/

I would say though that generally the smaller the dog the snappier it can be and the reason the smaller dogs often get left off the dangerous dog lists are because they cause less damage. I would just think about the time you have for a dog I.e walking, and how long it will be alone during the day, even the softest dog will eat ure curtains if it a more active breed etc, and the space you have available, and of course on if the breed is prone to barking or not as that doesn't make you many friends lol x

Personally iv never been a fan of small dogs (but that me) Iv always had German shepards they super lloyal, easy to train, brill with kids (but LOTS of hair!!).

lots of friends with spaniels (of some sort) which are nice - very energentic!

currently we have a begal whom i love but he needs a lot of attention and walks.

maybe look at a poodle cross such as a labrododdles (Sp?) as they have the tempament of a labrador but they dont moult! Brilliant!

Id never have a small dog or a fancy cross breed ie labradoodle! I am not against cross breeds and we have a rescue staff x boxer but I wouldnt pay into the cross breeding industry!

I think all dogs are great dogs its all how you bring them up.

Id never have any other breed in my family other than Staffordshire bull terriers (they are so loyal esp females) and boxers. Id avoid the higher maintenance dogs like working dogs- Labrador, gun dogs, beagles.

:
Id never have a small dog or a fancy cross breed ie labradoodle! I am not against cross breeds and we have a rescue staff x boxer but I wouldnt pay into the cross breeding industry!

I think all dogs are great dogs its all how you bring them up.

Id never have any other breed in my family other than Staffordshire bull terriers (they are so loyal esp females) and boxers. Id avoid the higher maintenance dogs like working dogs- Labrador, gun dogs, beagles.

I second this! Staffys are such good natured dogs! I was raised with two of them and one was like my best pal she always protected me and went everywhere with me.

Have you looked at dogs trust, RSPCA? Theres so many rescue dogs now I'm sure you would find one that will suit your family.

Xxx

Being the owner of a Boxer & a Staffy i can honestly say they are amazing, they are so lovely with the kids and adore them.. when my kids get up in the morning my dogs get so excited to see them.. I would never own any other breed than these 2. xx

See for me, boxers are too slavery lol. A friend always has boxers and they're soo drooly its gross!! They also used to have a doberman that was beautiful and so grand lookibg Yeh I've always heard staffies are one of the best dogs to have around kids when they are brought up right, but where I live every one has a stafy as a status dog!! Which is a shame as they are actually cute but they make them look vicious. I def think I'm edging more towards a lab but not sure on black or brown.

just curious, those of you that have dogs, can you smell that you have a dog in your house?

My dad has had springer spaniels for a long as I can remember, and they have all been beautiful and lovely dogs. He has to train them up really well as he's a gamekeeper, but they are so friendly and playful when he brings them over. We also had a labrador (black with a white spot on her chest) and she was also lovely. Very friendly and loving (she was also trained with my dad but had to stop as she had a leg injury).

My brother has a german shepherd and she is just a pain in the ass. That's not her fault though, my brother is just a lazy sod and never bothered to train her properly. She'd be lovely if he actually gave her the time of day.

My friends chocolate lab stinks! that sounds really bad, think its cause his fur is just thick lol x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->