Family friendly dogs?

I have a collie x german shepherd puppy and he is perfect with children. Like others have said its down to the upbringing rather than the breed itself. Ive also had labradors my entire life and they were the perfect family dogs as i grew up. Infact with out my labs i wouldnt be the person i am today they werey bestfriends and i always used to go to them if i was upset of needed someone to listen to me. It was the worst time of my life when they died. Im trying to decide what breed i want next in a couple years as much as i want a lab again i would find it hard not to compare it to my others. Sorry wenr a bit of subject there. But my point is any dog can be a good family dog my LO and our dog seem to get closer by the day she already sits there petting him without thinking about it and gives him hugs and kisses x

in answer to does he chew...ours is now 4 yrs old...when he was a puppy we crate trained him, then he had the whole section under the stairs and kitchen where he lived when we were out so he never had the opportunity to chew (but was always in the bins and cupboards if i forgot to lock them).

Now he has chewed a few of LO's toys but again that our fault for leaving them around as LO's lamaze toys look very like his own.

Oh the only problem i have with my pup is hes obsessed with chasing birds, butterflys and squirrels. Infact hes so good at it that he will sniff them out in bushes and long grass eventhough hes only 8 months old. x

I have a collie x german shepherd puppy and he is perfect with children. Like others have said its down to the upbringing rather than the breed itself. Ive also had labradors my entire life and they were the perfect family dogs as i grew up. Infact with out my labs i wouldnt be the person i am today they werey bestfriends and i always used to go to them if i was upset of needed someone to listen to me. It was the worst time of my life when they died. Im trying to decide what breed i want next in a couple years as much as i want a lab again i would find it hard not to compare it to my others. Sorry wenr a bit of subject there. But my point is any dog can be a good family dog my LO and our dog seem to get closer by the day she already sits there petting him without thinking about it and gives him hugs and kisses x

I know what you mean with comparing. My auntie used to have the most well behaved kindest German Shepard. She used to leave the front door open and the dog (kia) would never go out of the garden. She was the perfect dog. When she died my auntie got another German shepard (Bella) and my god she is naughty. She has destroyed her and my grandmas house, she wees and poos all over the house, she destroys her bed on a daily basis. She cannot be called on a walk. My auntie has a trainer working with her atm but its not doing much good. She's bloody wild! Xx

My mum has a Spanish water dog, well hes the family dog really.
He is ace! His hair grows in tight curls n never falls out so she has to have him sheared like a sheep!

My mum has a Spanish water dog, well hes the family dog really.
He is ace! His hair grows in tight curls n never falls out so she has to have him sheared like a sheep!

staffordshire bull terriers are fab as they dont need to walk miles and miles. They are also one of the few breeds that dont need to be "top" of the pack. The females are very submissive and will normally always do what the owner says. My dog just wants to please ALL the time, she would never do wrong. Shes so lovely and submissive. We dont have to walk her everyday and she does not need constant entertainment. x

My boys

https://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww48/tmcm1/bc0922ce.jpg

When Emily was tiddly

https://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww48/tmcm1/a8da371a.jpg

With scooby

https://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww48/tmcm1/28e93291.jpg

https://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww48/tmcm1/dfb90edd.jpg

They dont cast so this means needing clipped every 6/8 weeks.

I have 3 dogs. My staffy is amazing with the kids, perfect really. My german shep is too boisterous and big and knocks them over so even though he has a nice nature I wouldn't say he is ideal with little ones. My chihuahua is okay with them, not great though.

313211_144021992360017_1165945602_n.jpg
my collie she is just amazing with kids :) x

as has been said by others, you need to determine how much time you can dedicate to playing / walking the dog and go from there. Springers, Collies etc need a lot of work and exercise or they can be nuts.

we have a terrier cross who only needs about 45mins walk a day.

One of the best family dogs though is a staffy - not called nanna dogs for nothing!

Whippets are brilliant dogs. They love a good run off the lead, but they are also happy to lay up and sleep most of the day. We had a whippet called Rhino. He was amazing with my son. My son could do anything to him. He used to put his fingers up his nose, pull his tongue, pull his ears, lay on him, and several other things. My sister in law also has a whippet, my son can do anything to her too. They are such docile dogs. I couldnt fault them.

Attachments

• 374692_2726055760653_931185813_n.jpg
    374692_2726055760653_931185813_n.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 2
  • rhinoo.jpg
    rhinoo.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 2
  • rhino.jpg
    rhino.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 404693_2824221254729_505575962_n.jpg
    404693_2824221254729_505575962_n.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 397153_2875810824436_1030763459_n.jpg
    397153_2875810824436_1030763459_n.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 5
We have two German Shepherds and a lab. I only recommend a lab if youre looking for something with no personality. My shepherds are the greatest dogs ever. They're working lines though. I don't recommend anyone get shepherds unless they know what they're doing. They're not really beginner dogs. The shed like mad, require lots of training and are very high energy.

When I was looking for a dog, I found this website:

https://www.petmd.com/dog/top_tens/evr_dg_top_10_for_kids?page=2

Statistically, the top three best family friendlt dogs are: 1) Golden Retriever 2) Labrador Retriever 3) Poodle

I think any dog can be family friendly as long as you train it from a young age. We are taking care of a Shar Pei and they are said to be bad family friendly dogs because they aren't patient and most of them don't like children, but overall, he was pretty happy and patient with my LO. :D My sister has a lab and she's fantastic. She lets the babies jump all over her and it doesn't phase her one bit. She's a fantastic dog. My sister also has a beagle who is SO protective of the babies. Always sleeping with them and making sure they are OK. It's so cute. :hugs: Dogs are awesome!

Statistically, the top three best family friendlt dogs are: 1) Golden Retriever 2) Labrador Retriever 3) Poodle

I think any dog can be family friendly as long as you train it from a young age. We are taking care of a Shar Pei and they are said to be bad family friendly dogs because they aren't patient and most of them don't like children, but overall, he was pretty happy and patient with my LO. :D My sister has a lab and she's fantastic. She lets the babies jump all over her and it doesn't phase her one bit. She's a fantastic dog. My sister also has a beagle who is SO protective of the babies. Always sleeping with them and making sure they are OK. It's so cute. :hugs: Dogs are awesome!
I wouldn't trust that list one bit. Poodles are horrible family pets. They will bond with one person and will not listen to anyone else (and will attack everyone, but the "Alpha". We had a poodle when I was younger. We had to get rid of it when it bit my dad (for no reason). They are know to bite children quite often.

OP please be careful. Only buy a dog if you know the breeder and/or a trusted family member or friend does- you have to be aware of "Puppy farms"

Basically they use a bitch to breed non stop and they are brought up in poor conditions and suffer from serious health problems. Even your local pet store could be farmers- I have read some heart breaking stories on the internet.

A rescue dog is another option of course.

Here is some "farmed puppies" stories:

https://www.cesarsway.com/news/dognews/Puppy-Mill-Rescues

https://www.dogs-r-us.org/yourstories.shtml

We brought a "farmed" puppy last year- a labrador. She had a number of problems (she was sick as soon as we got her home and after no response from the breeder we took her to the vet) I won't go into details...but she had to be put down a week later. A friend also got one and hers lasted just short of a month and had to be put down.

The people we brought from moved on two days after we got the dog and they were unable to be traced. Not only did we go through that heartbreak...but we were £1800 down after paying for the puppy and then the vet bills that came with it. We probably won't see a penny of it back- sorry if that sounds callous relating it to the situation but we can't be expected to be happy about it.

I don't know very much about breeders- but if one will let you take one without even checking out where you live- alarm bells should ring in your head. I know the RSPCA certainly won't let you take an animal without checking out your home and I imagine in the case of dogs- how dogproof your garden is. If you live behind the M40 it is doubtful a reputable breeder will be happy to sell you a puppy.

I wouldn't trust that list one bit. Poodles are horrible family pets. They will bond with one person and will not listen to anyone else (and will attack everyone, but the "Alpha". We had a poodle when I was younger. We had to get rid of it when it bit my dad (for no reason). They are know to bite children quite often.

I've actually heard the opposite from a veterinarian when I was looking for a dog and I was also around poodles a lot growing up and have had my LO around poodles. It just varies really between dogs, every single dog has different personalities to the next. Sorry you had a bad experience.

Pros: Begals live long, as they dont have any serious inhernit health issues. There very lloyal, brill with children. very playful

Cons: they will eat constantly if you let them. oh and he was pretty difficult to train (even got kicked out of two puppy training courses.)
:haha::haha: My dog is only 50% beagle and she is a nightmare with anything remotely edible. She is pig headed stubborn mule of a dog!I swear she can get her large tank like self through the smallest of gaps to get into the kitchen.

They can become obese easily, and do alert bark. But I like them. :thumbup:
yeah really loud, My Mimi has a 'turkey gobble' bark which is hilarious!!Although at 0530 it is annoying :dohh:

I make it a point never to recommend border collies to people who A) live in city limits and/or B) have children. A border collie will quickly become the suburban family's worst nightmare in terms of manners, because there's just not enough for them to do.
My other girl,Jet, is border collie/lab cross and its like having a toddler,she needs continuous entertainment. She is 8.5 years now but acts like a puppy, good with kids as they keep her entertained but i wouldnt recommend a collie to anyone as she has so much physical and mental energy.

I couldnt recomend a breed, only get a dog that you will invest time/energy/effort into training it and you will be happy with what you get out of it. Ive met lovely labs but ive also been biten by a lab, met fabulous staffys and been chased by yorkie terrors.

Whippet! They're lovely family dogs, good with children. I'd look into how much exercise a breed would need- my friend got a springer and only takes her for one 45 minute walk a day because she didn't really know what they're like, her dog is mad with all the extra energy :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->