Folic acid..

Floralaura

Reaction score
I am on 400mg a day of FA..last night whilst browsing google (as you do lol) I saw that you should be on a higher dose for a few reasons..well I have a BMI of over 30 and suffer from mild IBS too. Does this mean I should be on the higher dose rather than the normal 0.4mg the DR has given me? If so can I take a few of the one I have to make it up to the 5mg/can I buy 5mg over the counter? :flower:

No idea I'm afraid! I've stopped taking it until (if!) I get pregnant as I felt daft for keeping taking it for months and months for no reason. Hope you get the answer you need though.:hugs:

Folic acid should be in your system for a few months before falling pregnant for the safest results, at the very least take it as soon as you find out but like I say idealy it needs to already be in your body.

dr,s only prescribe 5mg for cases of first hand or family history of spinal problems such as spina bifida, I was born with spina bifida and hydrocafalus so I have to take the 5mg and you can only get this on prescription not over the counter.
400 micrograms is fine for the adverage person although you can take a couple if it makes you feel better as its impossible to overdose on folic acid, the body will always use up and burn of any access FA no mater how much the body has.
Even if your not taking FA you will still ahve it in your system anyway as brocilloli coontaines it and so does bread and cereal these days (they put it in them because so many people where not taking FA when pregnant)

Idealy you need to take it till 15 weeks pregnant as thats when the spinal cord should be sealed over.

To take the 5mg that the dr prescribes you would need to take about 11 of the shop bought FA a day but taking 2-3 a day wont hurt and could benafit you.

FA is healthy for the body so I wouldnt stop taking it as id rather now it was there already in my system then get caught out as neurology and spinal cord starts developing from the moment of conception.

I realy cant stress the importance enough of taking Folic acid even before pregnancy.

Oh by the way dozy, where abouts in surrey are you? :)

I think I take about 800mg of folic acid a day :)

Not to be boring, but I think there's some confusion here between milligrams (mg) and micrograms (ug). There are 1000 mg in a gram and 1000 ug in a milligram, so I think the normal dose for people without a family history / absorption issues is 400 ug. If you have the above problems then your doctor will prescribe 5 mg. Unless you have certain blood conditions, there's no limit to the amount of folic acid you can take, but there's no need to take so much unless your doc says so. Hope that helps!

As for IBS, unless you struggle to maintain your weight with it, which would indicate malabsorbtion then you should be fine on the lower dose but you can always check with your GP.

G

I wasnt so much concerned with the IBS but the fact that that many websites says a BMI over 30 means you should be on the higher dose..my BMI is over 30 yet the DR gave me the standard dose, so now I am worried as have been taking it for months and months even before TTC and now worried that its not enough.. https://www.patient.co.uk/health/Pregnancy-and-Folic-Acid.htm

I have no idea, but a good way to boost your folate is to eat high folate foods. Here's a few that are quite high: Black beans (and other beans in general), orange juice, pineapple juice, mango, garbanzo beans (listing these separately because they're REALLY high), hazelnuts, minneola tangelo, sunflower seeds, lentils, and avocado.

I dont eat anything on that list, never even heard of half of them lol :blush: x

Never heard of them? Seriously? I don't eat them often, but I did some research of foods that I eat at least sometimes or could potentially eat more of. Here are some DV percentages on them:

Black Beans 1/2 cup cooked 32%
Orange Juice 1 cup 16%
Pineapple Juice 1 cup 10%
Mango 140 grams 15%
Garbanzo Bean 1/2 cup cooked 52%
Hazelnuts 1/2 cup 16%
Minneola Tangelo 1 80%
Sunflower Seeds 1/4 cup 20%
Lentils 1/2 cup cooked 90%
Avocado 1 37%
Parsnips 1/2 cup 11%

FA is in quite a lot of breakfast cereals too I think. So, with all the foods it's found in, as long as you start taking it as soon as you're pregnant, wouldn't it be ok?

Btw smokey, I'm in the Guildford area, you?

I got some folic acid today :) Does anyone have any side effects or anything from it?

The recommended dose for all women is 400mcg, when TTC or pregnant you should be taking at least 800mcg , I am over 40 have had 2 chemicals and one molar pregnancy plus my BMI is 32 so I take 3000mcg a day.

interesting I just did a search and found lots of info recommending women TTC/ pregnant with a BMI greater then 30 should take 5mg ( 5000mcg) folic acid a day, you dont really need a prescription unless you dont want to take 6 -800mcg pills a day.
https://www.oxfordradcliffe.nhs.uk/forpatients/090427patientinfoleaflets/110329pregnancybmi.pdf

Problem is most stores here only sell the 400 microgram tablets, you can get 800 but you realy have to hunt around for them.
I popped int0 Holland and Barrets the other day and they wanted £11 for a bottle of 90 tablets of 500 microgrames, for my dosage (I was trying to be lazy about getting a repeat prescription) id have to take 10 a day and that would cost me nearly £45 a month so I though sod that ill go back to the dr and just pay the £7.95 perscription charge :)

A higher dose is also recommended if you have coeliac disease, diabetes, sickle cell anaemia, or thalassaemia or on epilepsy medication (not sure if its the actualy epilepsy or just the ingredients of the medication that makes it needed)

Im in Staines Dozy, was in Chertsey till a few months ago.

I got some folic acid today :) Does anyone have any side effects or anything from it?

Theres no "known" side affects because it is a naturaly accuring vitamin that the body needs and the body will always burn up what FA it doesnt use.
There are more side effects from not having it then having it as the body needs it to thrive

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->