Food banks - please read!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going next week as our tesco is doing their bump it up by 30% thing then.

I hope they transferred a lot of donations before I arrived because the actual collection points had barely anything in them and this was at 4pm :nope:

It's a shame they organised it for this week with the black friday stuff going on, lots of people avoiding the shops today. I steered clear of anywhere doing black friday and the places I went were still mobbed, so I can understand people staying away altogether. Tomorrow will probably be the same :nope:

FX they'll be there again next week. Though the church I regularly donate to is just outside so fingers crossed more people will donate knowing how close it is.

I've just been to Tesco with LO and we did a seperate shop for the food bank. We spent about £18 but ended up with loads! I usually shops between Aldi/Tesco/Asda depending which I feel like but I am gonna go to Tesco now on the run up to Christmas and buy extras each week to donate.

I actually left Tesco crying :( Just the realisation of how lucky I am I guess and the thought of what you've put Mrs R. The amount the trolleys were being emptied as they were getting so full was amazing to see though. xx

Hi Amber, just to say you don't need to buy the goods for donation from the shop doing the collection, my family regularly buy from Lidil and Aldi and take the stuff to the collection point in Sainsburys, this means my money goes further for them and me.

Amazing post. I donate bits and bobs every so often but gonna do a full shop for the food bank in the next few weeks. Makes such a difference to peoples lives x

Il be honest I don't tend to give to a food bank however this thread has really got to me, I've never had to use one luckily but I know that there is always a chance in the future so il definately be donating some food this year x

I'm another who's never given to a food bank. Will definitely pick up some stuff though. Who knows when you'll need it. That blog the OP talked about really got to me though. My children are so spoiled (even with foods i.e right now we have apples, bananas,pear,melon,blueberries,blackberries,raspberries,strawberries and oranges in) and it really saddens me that some families just don't have this.

Just went to tesco this morning and the food bank people were giving out leaflets asking for just one item of the wanted list and then tesco boost by 30%. I bought a few Christmas treats - selection boxes / nice biscuits etc. there wasn't much in the collection point when I donated though. I hope it goes to somewhere to help someone.

We usually shop at Asda for food but after reading this thread, I had a look online for our nearest food bank and luckily they were collecting at Tesco today so we went and did our shopping there for a change. I got one or two of almost everything on their shopping list and it was only £20. I am going to go back again before Christmas and pick up some Christmas treats to donate too.

It was lovely to see that a lot of people had donated at our Tesco store today, they had crates full of all kinds. One gentleman donated an entire trolley full of tea bags and sugar and the ladies who were collecting it all were absolutely delighted.

Thanks OP for starting this thread, we always donate to the toy appeal but I had never even thought about people not having enough food at this time if year. Or any time of year really I suppose.

X

Neither my local tesco or asda have collections in :( Don't know where else to donate...

Neither my local tesco or asda have collections in :( Don't know where else to donate...

I did a search through this website and it gives information for various food banks nearby and then when I selected one, it gave details of where to leave donations.

https://www.trusselltrust.org/map

X

Most Trussell trusts.are based in churches my best bet is to try there.

Does anyone know when tesco are stopping there collections? I want to donate there but have I missed it?
Also I've found a local church using the link above, do I just turn up there with it?

Amazing post! We also donate to our local fareshare when we can. They deliver our donations to local elderly people, local food banks and use the donations to provide hot meals to the homeless. There is a drop off on the way out of our tescos year round but they run a bigger campaign towards the end of November and top up the donations by 30%, its amazing to watch how their boxes quickly stack up knowing all that food will go to such good causes.

they havent stopped taking donations and ours collects all year round, however i think their 30% top up offer has ended. there should be a Large dump bin with a poster around it somewhere on the way out of the store.

I'm putting as much as I can together for our local church. I'm sad to say before my mum needed there help I never donated :(
I saw how much my mum struggled even with there help and its horrible thinking about how many other families rely on them.
I can't afford much, but I'm going to try and get as much together as I can :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"