Food banks - please read!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't got much to spare but i try to buy 3 meals for a family of 5 (so a days food basically) once every couple of months and drop it in at the local citizens advice (which us our collection point). I will give twice this month as i don't like to think of my usual donation being missed by them in favour of the tescos collection. I've been close to using them myself on a couple of occasion and they are such a worthy cause.

our asda has a collection trolly for local food banks going to pop a few bits in.

i'm on the hunt for a toy donation but havnt saw any this year the supermarkets usually have one but i've not saw them this year!

My local Asda has a food bank collection trolley all the time, which I always put a few things in, I had been wondering about the toy one and it appeared last week, so will get some things for that, too. Ideally would have the kids with me, but I avoid taking them shopping if at all possible!

I will definately be donating this year, I havnt before but my eyes have really opened to the fact alot of people going are your normal everyday people that got a bit of bad luck. Scares the shit out of me actually.

It really could be anyone - hubby and I both have good jobs, but over the last few years he has suffered several redundancies. Fortunately we have managed, but we so easily could have struggled if he had been out of work longer. really makes you appreciate what you have and take nothing for granted.

What is the criteria to get food from the food bank? Do you need to be on a certain type of benefit?

I have been donating whenever I can to food banks since 2012. After my son was born we had a rough time with him and I had PND :( Christmas 2011 my then (wonderful) health visitor put us forward to be given a food hamper from a local food bank. Not because we were truly in need but because we'd had a really hard time. It truly made my Christmas and I still well up when I think about it. We weren't particularly doing very well money wise at the time so having that hamper meant everything and we were able to enjoy our son's first Christmas.

I also love Jack's 'hunger hurts' blog post as it's so frank and really shows what it's like to live below the poverty line. I also love her follow up post a year later :thumbup:

My local food bank are always in need of dried goods, nappies, baby food, sanitary towels, little treats etc.

What is the criteria to get food from the food bank? Do you need to be on a certain type of benefit?

Usually you would be referred by a health visitor, social worker, benefits office etc, but they are mostly church led and wouldn't turn someone away who was in need. They also offer advice and direct people to sources of support etc. Plenty of employed people end up at the food bank because they've been off sick or had hours cut, for example, and don't qualify for any benefits (or are waiting for them to start), so it's not a benefits-related thing IYSWIM x

I donate to our local food bank. They usually have a crate outside Tesco so I tend to buy a few extra things on my shop.

I haven't read the article and am not sure I am strong enough too!

my local tesco has a trolly for the food bank...
i put £10 worth of toiletries in yesterday.

dont know if its been said but dont forget its not just food they need.

nappies, wipes, toilet roll, toothpaste, shampoo etc (check your local foodbank & ask for their wish list).

i had to use the food bank for a while & i could of gone without food, it was nappies & formula i was struggling with :(

some also take sweets, biscuits, chocolate etc - think of the luxury items we take for granted.

doing a food shop monday so will do £20 worth of food & toiletries again x

Ive donated to our food bank twice this year, through each of my childrens schools as they decided to give local instead of sending out to Africa (which is what they have done every other year) but i think i'll pop a few more bits in after taking my eldest shopping on sat. Breaks my heart to think of anyone goign hungry.

I know it's not the same thing, but since you're all generous folks in this thread I thought I'd mention that most local dog's homes are also looking for donations this year. If you have any old towels or blankets you don't need they are great for the kennels in winter and won't cost anything. Our local Morrisons and Tesco both have a collection box next to their food bank boxes! Going to take some of our old tatty baby blankets when we do our food bank stuff next week.

I know it's not the same thing, but since you're all generous folks in this thread I thought I'd mention that most local dog's homes are also looking for donations this year. If you have any old towels or blankets you don't need they are great for the kennels in winter and won't cost anything. Our local Morrisons and Tesco both have a collection box next to their food bank boxes! Going to take some of our old tatty baby blankets when we do our food bank stuff next week.

Oh yes I've done this too my OH is the nights manager for a supermarket and any dog food that can't be sold (a multipack has split so he's taped it or some really battered tins) he drops in the collection box.

Any idea where i can find my nearest one? I have a pile of old baby blankets here. x

I didn't know about the tesco donation point until I read this thread, so I went a different route home today and went in and bought £15 worth of food and toiletries. I also got a few packs of chocolate coins, and an Xmas pudding. I haven't got much money spare but would rather spend it on a good cause than waste it on something I don't really need.

Been having a read through this girls and wanted to give another perspective on it. I'm a social worker and so refer people to food banks. This time of year is particularly busy as you might imagine!
We tend to collect the food parcel ourselves and deliver to local families. I have had grown women cry on delivery of a food parcel they are so greatful for it. I have been to houses where there is literally nothing in the cupboards, and parents are going without to feed their children.

I don't know where some of these people would be if it weren't for food banks. Please please please give generously as your donations are so vital and so appreciated.

To the OP, giving Christmas treats is such a lovely idea as our food parcels always seem to lack this. We tend to stick in whatever sweets/ biscuits have been left into the office for staff, but these don't go very far!

As far as I know, nappies are also appreciated. I can't see them being turned down.

What a fabulous post, things like this are the true meaning of Christmas and kindness like this brings tears to my eyes x

Ds (4 1/2) asked last week if we could buy a present for Santa to say thank you. I've told him that although Santa would be pleased to get a gift he will be more than happy with milk and a pie. Instead we have decided to go shopping for him to choose something to be passed on via charity to a child who won't get much (didn't want to tell him 'santa' doesn't go to all children) and as he's baby obsessed we will go to oxfam and pay for mosquito nets for babies too.
Until I read this thread it hadn't occurred to me to add Christmas items to any food bank bags we as a family leave. I will take ds and we will now put together a bit of a selection of things every chikd deserves to wake up to on Christmas morning. Thank you for the advice

Rags that sounds lovely, you are obviously raising him to be a very kind little soul.

Mrs R - thanks for the work you do. I know how emotionally difficult social work can be and social workers often get criticized and rarely get praised for all they do. I'm glad we have people like you who care.

I've just been to Tesco with LO and we did a seperate shop for the food bank. We spent about £18 but ended up with loads! I usually shops between Aldi/Tesco/Asda depending which I feel like but I am gonna go to Tesco now on the run up to Christmas and buy extras each week to donate.

I actually left Tesco crying :( Just the realisation of how lucky I am I guess and the thought of what you've put Mrs R. The amount the trolleys were being emptied as they were getting so full was amazing to see though. xx

put £20 worth in today of random bits & pieces, including a few xmas treats.
was suprised at how much i got with £20, it was all tesco value stuff but its still food!
xx

My local Tesco was doing a collection so I did a mini food shop - sugar, chocolate, pasta, rice, spaghetti, sauces etc. and Thomas got 4 stickers :rofl:

I hope they transferred a lot of donations before I arrived because the actual collection points had barely anything in them and this was at 4pm :nope:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"