got summit i didnt expect last night :):)

i feel really sorry for bailey.

if a dogs aggresive you take it training, if you dont have time for a dog you just dont get one :shrug: and what difference does it matter what breed/breeds the dog is :shrug:

and puppys sometimes are looked at as aggresive but there just being a puppy and its all part of learning and you teach them that its a no no ect

I give up with dog owners who pass on the problem to someone else so fast and these poor dogs go from home to home to home.

No Offence to you FTM just saying my opinion

its not like i passed him on .at the end of the day he use to run fast in the living room and if they kids ran he would take millie down by her neck thats how they hunt deer and he marked her neck thats why bailey went and the lad who got bailey new this .if the kids sat there he would bark and show hes teeth for no reason and it was not play i no pupy play to real .i took bailey to traing classes and even the lady who was there ooooo my word he is a angery pup. to look at bailey just before he wetn he didnt look like a pup he was huge and i asked the lad who took him does you have kids he said no i said well hes abit nasty around kids told him everythig about bailey no lies and he said he would calm bailey down and he hasnt now hes sold him

good on you for rehoming bailey.
you put your childrens safety above all.
congrats on your new dog :) hes very cute

thanks dizzy .at the end of the day if any dog including my own ever bit my children im sorry but i would not be held respolbe for my actions .once you have a child you do anything in the world to protect them from people and animals .bailey went to the best place but now he couldnt handle him so some one els has him now :(

i 100% agree with that a childs safety is more important than a dog is for life if a dog suddenty turned and started to ripp chuncks out of your child would you still say that i think not. dogs with a vicous tendancy can be very unpredictable and in my opion no matter how much training you give them you can not be sure they would never turn on your child :shrug:

cute pup hope he brings you a lot of fun x:happydance:

I give up with dog owners who pass on the problem to someone else so fast and these poor dogs go from home to home to home.

Well you probably havent had a dog thats hard work have you? Id like to see you cope with a dog that p**ses and s**ts up your walls and on your bed every five minutes!!

How can you make such a generalisation? Every situation is different!!

I had a bichon frise that was incredibly hard to train, it took lots of time and patience but I got there in the end. If I had 3 children that no way would of been possible. Hopefully Bailey will find somebody who has the time to train him.

Good luck with your new pup

if bailey ran around like a loon, patterdales are extremely hyper and will be just as bad, and they yap yap yap and will rip and destroy anything its their nature to kill its in their breed.

my dad often has to drag their patterdale out of a rabbit hole, thats why their tails are like they are he says easy to grab onto :lol:.

i'm sure you've learnt and won't make the same mistake again,

i feel really sorry for bailey.

if a dogs aggresive you take it training, if you dont have time for a dog you just dont get one :shrug: and what difference does it matter what breed/breeds the dog is :shrug:

Training a dog takes a long time, what was she meant to do...leave Bailey in her home whilst he's starting to take her children down by their necks? I don't mean that in a nasty way but I just don't see what else she could of done? If any dog was aggressive towards my child it would be gone, no question about it

I think there are 'dud' dogs occasionally. Some very close friends of mine got a pup after doing months and months of research on what type of breed would suit their lifestyle, they looked into absolutely everything involving training and dog behaviour and all that stuff. Went to dog shows and spoke to breeders, they were as prepared as they could be for this dog.

The pup they got had to go back to the breeder after a few months because he was just untrainable. Honestly, my friends tried everything to get him under control, and it just wasn't happening.
The breeder agreed that there was something 'not right' about him so I think sometimes it does happen. Often though, it is just that the owners don't know what they are getting into with a dog and that's where things can go wrong.

Fulltimemum, I hope Bailey ends up happy and I hope your new dog is the family pet you wanted Bailey to be.

need to pick a breed you understand. puppies take a lot of time and effort. Dogs need varying amounts of exercise, but all need time spent on them.

Pussycat. u r right about the odd dud dog. My mum had a 'lassie' type dog. Was never quite right. Seen by loads of vets but no one could ever explain some of his odd behaviour.

your dog was certainly not a staffy! no way on earth did your dog have any staffy in him... now my dog is a lurcher staffy.. and you can see in his face and eyes hes a staffy. even has the lock jaw.

i was not saying what i said to be mean to anyone just saying, of course your children come first but alot of dogs can be "fixed" so to speak if your train ans persist with your dog.

And yes polo i did have a very agressive dog at one point but he was also an adult dog we had rescued from being chained to a radiator and beaten if he went toilet in the house. We had to train just as if he was a pup. It took time but we never just got rid of him due to it took the dog on and trained him very very well and that dog was a GSD.

I believe if you wont have the time to train your dog no matter what its issues are than you dont really have the time to have a dog.

Also your dog behaviour will depend on the dogs that where breed to make your dog in there temprament (sp?) and how the breeder interacted with the puppy before sending them to a good home and if they introduced the puppy to other breeds of dogs, children ect. You pay more for a good breeder of course who use's good temparment and caring dogs.

My oh's works 9-5:30pm, i have a 6month old baby, we decided to get a puppy, our puppy goes to dog training on a saturday, and gets walked, bathed and plenty of play time.

I too have raised a dog that was "mistreated". He locked in a cage so small he couldnt turn around ... i've raised 3 more dogs of the same breed, yet im in the wrong for rehoming one that i exhausted all of my possibilites, time and money with?

Im not disagreeing with the "principal" of your post, i dont agree with people just rehoming dogs willy nilly,but i am with how you can turn it into such a generalisation and band everyone who rehomes a dog as irresponsible

I too have raised a dog that was "mistreated". He locked in a cage so small he couldnt turn around ... i've raised 3 more dogs of the same breed, yet im in the wrong for rehoming one that i exhausted all of my possibilites, time and money with?

Im not disagreeing with the "principal" of your post, i dont agree with people just rehoming dogs willy nilly,but i am with how you can turn it into such a generalisation and band everyone who rehomes a dog as irresponsible

i was not branding everyone it just that she re-homed and now has another dog that seems from things she was saying she did not have time for the bailey to train him ect is a bad move and the reason i said from home to home, was the fact she re-homed and then the guy who asfar as she was going to keep the dog then re-homed.

It was not a dig at FTM for re-homing just the fact that poor dog has now had 4 different homes from birth to now, just because by the sounds of it no-one who has had bailey seems to have the time or want to train him.

i agree with you its really hard to solve old problems regardless of experience some dogs just have a mind of their own regardless.

i had to rehome my two persians because they wouldnt leave rhys alone, they were shedding hair more and more because i couldnt keep up with their grooming, so i rehomed them to a lady who could spend more time with them. i've vowed never to have another one.
i grew up with lots of dogs around me, i should be dog mad, and i'd love a dog but i remember all my toys being chewed and doing handstands in dog shite if my mum and dad hadnt cleaned it up in time, and then there was lack of outings because 'we had to get back'.
if your dedicated the family dog is a wonderful pet to have, just not everyone is that dedicated. talking in general on that, not pointing a finger.

I think there are 'dud' dogs occasionally. Some very close friends of mine got a pup after doing months and months of research on what type of breed would suit their lifestyle, they looked into absolutely everything involving training and dog behaviour and all that stuff. Went to dog shows and spoke to breeders, they were as prepared as they could be for this dog.

The pup they got had to go back to the breeder after a few months because he was just untrainable. Honestly, my friends tried everything to get him under control, and it just wasn't happening.
The breeder agreed that there was something 'not right' about him so I think sometimes it does happen. Often though, it is just that the owners don't know what they are getting into with a dog and that's where things can go wrong.

Fulltimemum, I hope Bailey ends up happy and I hope your new dog is the family pet you wanted Bailey to be.

Totally agree, think sometimes some dogs just cant be helped! I have grown up with staffies and think they are amazing dogs but we had one called charlie who was amazing then i got my boy called zac and he was a completely different kettle of fish, we worried how charlie would react to him and the opposite happened, zac went for charlie non stop and left her with a scar on her face and we r talking about a 12 wk old pup baring his teeth. I had him for 5 years and dealt with his issues as best we could, took him to training classes but didnt help and ended up keeping him muzzled when out and about etc and we were very strict with them both as in four feet on the floor at all times, never on couch or bed etc and they were both very contented dogs but he just had issues from day 1. Throughout pregnancy i was sure i would be able to deal with zac with the baby but as soon as we brought jessica home i burst into tears, terrified he would do something to my baby so rehomed him round the corner with oh's friend and its been the best decision ever. He is happy although still with issues and dont think it makes me a bad person because i genuinely had no other option, when it comes down to either keeping your dog or putting your child at risk its just not a question.

But i will add that i wouldnt then just get another if u were saying it was because u didnt have time for Bailey, what if this dog has problems too?? Bailey will end up with major trust issues if already he has been to 3 homes and not even a year old!

And one thing i noticed was that u said u were honest with this person who took Bailey about the issues he had and all about him but why then did he say he had to get rid once he found out what breed he was, did u not tell him the breed when u gave him to the dog? Just asking because alot of people do have fears with staffies due to the media (just to add i think staffies are great dogs) so think he had a right to know beforehand what breed he was taking on, not that it matters, poor dog!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->