hey, some questions to mothers /mothers to be about reducing teen pregnancies

TeenPreg

Reaction score
HI!! i'm from London, England, i'm doing some research into the governments strategies on reducing teen pregnancies! i just wondered if any mothers/mothers to be could answer some of my questions please.. shouldnt take more than 5 minutes and it'd really be helping me out, i wanted to hear you opinions and ideas! thank you xxxx

1.How old are you?

2.Where are you from?

3.Have you heard of ‘condom cards’?

It is a government scheme where teens are given these cards, it means that they will be able to have free and easy access to contraception.
Do you think this helps reduce teen pregnancies?

4.Did you know that in some areas of London the government are trying out a new scheme, ‘over the counter contraception’. It means that children under 16 can go to their pharmacy, speak to a qualified pharmacist and obtain contraception. It is the same procedure as a woman would go through to obtain the morning after pill. What do you think about this idea?

5.What do you think of SRE (sex and relationship education) in schools? They will start at the age of five, where children will learn about simple changes in their bodies

6.Do you think any of these will help reduce the rate of teen pregnancies?

7.What do you think will reduce the number of teens becoming pregnant?

1.How old are you? 29

2.Where are you from? London

3.Have you heard of ‘condom cards’? No

It is a government scheme where teens are given these cards, it means that they will be able to have free and easy access to contraception.
Do you think this helps reduce teen pregnancies? Probably

4.Did you know that in some areas of London the government are trying out a new scheme, ‘over the counter contraception’. It means that children under 16 can go to their pharmacy, speak to a qualified pharmacist and obtain contraception. It is the same procedure as a woman would go through to obtain the morning after pill. What do you think about this idea? Good in theory, but not sure in practice?

5.What do you think of SRE (sex and relationship education) in schools? They will start at the age of five, where children will learn about simple changes in their bodies? I do not want my 6,7,8 yr old having SRE - from the age of 9 or 10yrs would be better..... IMO

6.Do you think any of these will help reduce the rate of teen pregnancies? 'condom cards' are probably a good idea IMO

7.What do you think will reduce the number of teens becoming pregnant? TBH, I think 'teen pregnancies' is a wide subject - there are 'teens' who fall pregnant accidently and there are those who fall pregnant on purpose for reasons such as to get a council place and benefits - it is sad that this is still the case.
I'm not sure what would help, but maybe some support for parents of children aged 11+ so that they can help educate their children about sex/contraception etc??

Interesting Questions! xxx

1.How old are you?
I'm 44 but am a mother to an 18 year old Mum

2.Where are you from?
Luton, Beds

No

No - Teens already have access to free condoms through the Brook and Family Planning Services, as well as easy access to other types of contraception

4.Did you know that in some areas of London the government are trying out a new scheme, ‘over the counter contraception’. It means that children under 16 can go to their pharmacy, speak to a qualified pharmacist and obtain contraception. It is the same procedure as a woman would go through to obtain the morning after pill. What do you think about this idea?
I think it is a good idea in that it would help Teens who's parents are anti-contraception or who feel unable to talk to their parents about it - but those probably form a minority of teen pregnancies so I doubt it would make much impact on the number of Teens falling pregnant. I have always talked to my daughters about contraception and have happily made appointments for them to obtain it - my elder daughter isn't a parent and my younger one is, but I treated them no differently to each other

5.What do you think of SRE (sex and relationship education) in schools? They will start at the age of five, where children will learn about simple changes in their bodies
I grew up in a progressive area and had SRE from the age of 7. I wouldn't say that it made any difference to me at all :shrug: I can't see it affecting the Teen pregnancy rate one way or the other though to be honest ... Teens KNOW how they get pregnant but academic knowledge doesn't offset teen hormones, getting carried away or the influence of alcohol. Science has proved that Teen hormones affect the 'consequences' part of their brains, which is why Teens take so many risks in all areas

No - see above

Nothing .... I believe that the huge social shift in our society is the root cause of our high Teen pregnancy rate... It is no longer socially un-acceptable for women to have children outside of marriage and in general women are not penalised for doing so by social ostracisation. This isn't a bad thing - I for one would not want to go back to the times when an un-married mother was shut away in an institution and her child forcibly removed from her for adoption, but the knock-on effect is that Teens feel no real social pressure not to have sex and not to get pregnant. This is borne out by the low rate of Teen pregnancies within certain ethnic groups where religious beliefs and strong family/society pressures still exist.

Even if I DID believe that we ought to revert back to old values it simply can't be done... it's impossible to turn back the clock

i find the whole 'teen' mother thing very patronising as someone who was pregnant at age 19, and was treated ridiculously throughout pregnancy as i was 'a teenager'

there is a big difference in age/maturity/experience in someone who is 15 and and someone who is 19

i dont think any of these things will reduce teen pregnancy rates because to be honest, there are already alot of ways to access contraception and when you are 15 you just dont thnk it will happen to you, and IMO more likely to take risks,

i see 'reducing teen pregnancy rates' and see this as a personal insult and as though my baby is not wanted in society as his mother was a teenager when he was born.

1.How old are you? 19

2.Where are you from? Staffordshire, UK

Do you think this helps reduce teen pregnancies? Not really, teenagers can still be safe jjust not safe enough, or just be caught out.

4.Did you know that in some areas of London the government are trying out a new scheme, ‘over the counter contraception’. It means that children under 16 can go to their pharmacy, speak to a qualified pharmacist and obtain contraception. It is the same procedure as a woman would go through to obtain the morning after pill. What do you think about this idea? That it should only be allowed if with parental consent. I think giving out contraception out to under 16's lets them think it is okay to have sex under age.

5.What do you think of SRE (sex and relationship education) in schools? They will start at the age of five, where children will learn about simple changes in their bodies I think they should learn more about the body but only to a certain extent. I can't see a five year old taking in contraception/sex/babies etc.

6.Do you think any of these will help reduce the rate of teen pregnancies? No

7.What do you think will reduce the number of teens becoming pregnant? Better Sex ed in high schools.
I think they should do budgeting at school. An average teenage wage and then house bills, babies money, food shopping etc.
The responsibilities of looking after a baby what it really means.

i find the whole 'teen' mother thing very patronising as someone who was pregnant at age 19, and was treated ridiculously throughout pregnancy as i was 'a teenager'

there is a big difference in age/maturity/experience in someone who is 15 and and someone who is 19

i dont think any of these things will reduce teen pregnancy rates because to be honest, there are already alot of ways to access contraception and when you are 15 you just dont thnk it will happen to you, and IMO more likely to take risks,

i see 'reducing teen pregnancy rates' and see this as a personal insult and as though my baby is not wanted in society as his mother was a teenager when he was born.

I strongly agree there as if it is to try to stop babies like ours from happening.

I also agree with the above/s

I don't think teen pregnancy and babies being born to teen mothers is "preventable" the only thing anyone can do is offer better sex education. I had sex education in year 9 and all it told me was you have to use condoms, because of STD's and pregnancy. they didn't show us how to use a condom (hence my pregnancy - failed contraception) a lot of teen pregnancies aren't planned, and majority of those mothers who keep their babies, are fantastic mothers! just as capable as any other. I wasn't taught in school about the emotional ties to sex, maybe if i had been i wouldnt have been so careless as to believe that i was truly in love. We were told to wait for marriage, we weren't told anything useful, just shown pictures of STD's and news articles about teen age mums out in town, giving the impression that we all do that all the time, and we don't. those girls are the exception and not the rule, and it hurts that people publish teen pregnancy like this as now, when i go out with my 9 week old daughter, i get called a whore and a bad mother by people who dont even know me, just because i chose to stand up and accept my responsibilities.
You never hear about the good people, always the bad.

perhaps if the government made it so under 16/18's HAVE to have parental permission for a termination some people would be a lot more careful. i know when i went to school, terminations were used as a form of contraception, and those girls were not told that it could later affect their chances of carrying healthy babies when their older.

instead of trying to "prevent" teen pregnancy, why don't people stop focussing on it negativley and show young people, what they have yet to live for, how to protect themselves, why they need to, and why they should wait, how to tell if their ready (If you ever are ready? no one told me how to tell if i was) and also give them senarios on how they could talk to their parents. give them the nitty gritty info on all contraception.

i feel very failed by my school. i had to get pregnant to find out what contraception i could have had, and how to use condoms, and where to get the pill. I was 15, and now, i wouldnt change it for the world, but it's affected my parents, not just me.

This is just my experience, i'm not saying that this is how it is everywhere. :flower:

1.How old are you?22

2.Where are you from?staffordshire

3.Have you heard of ‘condom cards’?nope

Do you think this helps reduce teen pregnancies?no it wont as u can already go the the family planning and get a bag full of free condoms

4.Did you know that in some areas of London the government are trying out a new scheme, ‘over the counter contraception’. It means that children under 16 can go to their pharmacy, speak to a qualified pharmacist and obtain contraception. It is the same procedure as a woman would go through to obtain the morning after pill. What do you think about this idea?its a good idea and a bad one. good for when the child feels they cant talk to anyone and atleast they r being half carful but bad as it is premoting underage sex

5.What do you think of SRE (sex and relationship education) in schools? They will start at the age of five, where children will learn about simple changes in their bodiesi think 5 is too young as they wont understand, maybe start it afew yrs older, altho some info is a good thing

6.Do you think any of these will help reduce the rate of teen pregnancies?no. i got pregnant at 19, but never had sex till i was over the age of 16 as that was what i wanted and i didnt feel it was right having sex underage, i took the wet out of girls at school who had sex under 16. i thought it was disgusting. if they want to have sex they will no matter what the government do

7.What do you think will reduce the number of teens becoming pregnant? i think it has something to do with the way we are raised. my mum tought me to resepct my body and myself and i had abit of common sence about me

1.How old are you? 19

2.Where are you from? Canada :)

3.Have you heard of ‘condom cards’? nope, we don't have those here

Do you think this helps reduce teen pregnancies? no here in canada you can free condoms at clinics and school nurses.

I love that idea, should be easy to get birth control.

I think thats silly, at age 5 I didn't need to know anything about sex.
unsure.

unsure.

1. I am 41 years old but was first pregnant at 16 years, then 19 years.

2. From London

3. No, I have not heard of condom cards but they sound like a good idea if it makes getting contraception easier and faster.

4. I think the idea of contraception being available 'Over the Counter' is a good idea as long as chemists are quailified correctly. It needs to go hand in hand with safer sex education.

5. I think sex education should be available in schools from a young age, in my home no subject is taboo and both my adult children have made good decisions so far.

6. Reducing teen pregnancies needs to be a joint enterprise between health, education and parenting. Schools should educate parents as well as children on this subject.

7. Added to the above I think children from 11 years should be given a virtual baby to look after every year for 1 week, I was a teenage mother and I knew about contraception but wanted a baby, if I had known the real hard work involved this would of put me off. Teenagers also need to learn to value themselves and see a future, free uni, college etc. If someone feels they have a better future they may make better decisions.

1.How old are you? 17

2.Where are you from? Scotland

3.Have you heard of ‘condom cards’? yes I have, but never known where to get one from.

Do you think this helps reduce teen pregnancies? no I don't. I have never seen them advertised anywhere and know no one who knows where to get them so it's not stopping anything. Plus, family planning clinics already give out free contraception, so do doctors. More ways of obtaining this won't help reduce anything.

4.Did you know that in some areas of London the government are trying out a new scheme, ‘over the counter contraception’. It means that children under 16 can go to their pharmacy, speak to a qualified pharmacist and obtain contraception. It is the same procedure as a woman would go through to obtain the morning after pill. What do you think about this idea? this is the same as just going to a family planning clinic or a doctor.

5.What do you think of SRE (sex and relationship education) in schools? They will start at the age of five, where children will learn about simple changes in their bodies in my school we were never taught proper SRE at all. I think the age of 5 is a bit extreme. At that age children should be concerned with their barbies and action men. Not being forced to grow up.

6.Do you think any of these will help reduce the rate of teen pregnancies? no. There is plenty of education and contraception out there. Teenage pregnancy will happen. It always has done, the media is just making a bigger issue out of it now.

7.What do you think will reduce the number of teens becoming pregnant? nothing. I don't believe teen parents should be stigmatised the way they are and tarnished by the media. It's degrading and stereotpying when in actual fact good parents come at any age. It doesn't matter if you are 15 or 35. If you are going to be a good parent you will be. Not all 'bad' parents are teenagers, they come at any age also. I think people should stop degrading teenage parenthood as if it is a disease, the government should spend its money on more important things. I do not like feeling as if my baby should have been prevented because that is what society expects. I don't like feeling like I am being judged for becoming a mother through something unplanned. Society just needs to stop living in such a sheltered world.

1.How old are you?

2.Where are you from?

Dundee..wouldn't you believe haha

Yes, stupid idea in my opinion

No, there are already places that can give free contraceptives. Even still i don't think would reduce teen pregnancies.

Disagree. Sex isn't even legal until you are 16.

Again, disagree. Maybe from the age of 10 maybe.

Nope, SRE usually takes place in high school and there are places that do free contraceptives already, and the rate is still high

Not sure !

Very true, it's all a load of crap - and you will NEVER reduce accidents.

I'm sick to death of seeing this teen pregnancy crap everywhere!

1.How old are you? 28 (pregnant at 15, 17 & 19

2.Where are you from? Cornwall, UK

Do you think this helps reduce teen pregnancies? No. Teenagers can already get free condoms from several places, and they are handed out like sweets at most colleges!

4.Did you know that in some areas of London the government are trying out a new scheme, ‘over the counter contraception’. It means that children under 16 can go to their pharmacy, speak to a qualified pharmacist and obtain contraception. It is the same procedure as a woman would go through to obtain the morning after pill. What do you think about this idea? I'd rather my child had to go through me if he/she was thinging about contraception, so I could personally talk them through it, and was aware that they were atleast thinking about having sex and could monitor the situation. I would certainly not be happy if the government was as good as telling my teenagers that it is ok to have sex without talking it through with me.

5.What do you think of SRE (sex and relationship education) in schools? They will start at the age of five, where children will learn about simple changes in their bodies My 6, 8 and 11 year old have all had this. The younger ones have only been taught things like the physical differences between men and women. And talked about family life, relationships with friends etc. I think its a good start to sex education, but not a way to prevent teenage pregnancy, as I had the same sex education myself.

6.Do you think any of these will help reduce the rate of teen pregnancies? No, I dont. As a teenage mum 3 times over, I cant speak for all, but know that I was fully aware of the risk of pregnancy. I spoke to my mum about contraception after I had been with my bf for 2 years at age 14, I told her that I didn't intend to have sex just yet, but wanted to go on the pill ready for when I did. I stll got pregnant, while taking it correctly.. accidental pregnancies will never be stopped, teenager or not! Free contraception is readily available, abd certainly by the time kids start secondary school, they know taht if you have sex, you CAN get pregnant, whether they have had sex ed, or not.

7.What do you think will reduce the number of teens becoming pregnant? Unfortunately, I dont think many people have the answer to that. IMO opinion, most teenage pregnancies are either on purpose, or failed contraception. So I don't think sex education is the answer, or even more free contraception.

1.How old are you?

I'm 26 - had my daughter when I was 16.

2.Where are you from?

Norwich

Yes.....but only recently

It will help.

I think that is a really good idea. Before I had my daughter, I'm not sure this was even the case but, I thought that I couldnt go on the pill without permission of my parents. I asked my mum if I could go on the pill and she said she would talk to my dad. It was hard enough asking her I guess, anyway I was pregnant before I even got the chance to go on the pill. So the fact that you can get contraception under 16 without parents consent is great, and that you can do it at a pharmacy is even better.

5.What do you think of SRE (sex and relationship education) in schools? They will start at the age of five, where children will learn about simple changes in their bodies.

I think it is too young. A 5 year old does not need to know about the changes in her body 5 years later. Will a 5 year old actually listen or pay attention?

The contraception at a pharmacy.

I dont know. Sex Education classes are not going to make a massive difference to what it is now, but a teenager will do what they want as much as they can. When I say teenager I mean a 13-14 year old........I remember being totally different person at 14 than 18!

I agree with an earlier post on virtual babies! I think they should be more available to students.

When I was at school I took child care as a GCSE and as part of the course we were able to take a virtual baby home for one week. I never got the chance because I didnt hand my coursework in on time. But I think it should be that every child has a week with the baby - not just the people taking childcare. I probably had the thought in my head that looking after a baby was like playing with a doll...where obviously its not at all.

HI!! i'm from London, England, i'm doing some research into the governments strategies on reducing teen pregnancies! i just wondered if any mothers/mothers to be could answer some of my questions please.. shouldnt take more than 5 minutes and it'd really be helping me out, i wanted to hear you opinions and ideas! thank you xxxx

1.How old are you?

2.Where are you from?
Nottingham

No - but good idea i beleive.
I think it may help to reduce teen pregnancies if enough people knew about them.

4.Did you know that in some areas of London the government are trying o
ut a new scheme, ‘over the counter contraception’. It means that children under 16 can go to their pharmacy, speak to a qualified pharmacist and obtain contraception. It is the same procedure as a woman would go through to obtain the morning after pill. What do you think about this idea?
I think 16 is pretty young in a way but so many people this age have sex now it maybe a good idea. However i think there should be a limit to how much someone can use it and have a minimum age

5.What do you think of SRE (sex and relationship education) in schools?
I think some things are taught way too early, i think sex ed should not be taught to children before 14 and i think a lot more about contraception should be taught. Our teacher told us that they say have sex at certian points if you want a baby girl, other points if you want a boy, not really idea. I think body changes e.g periods and puberty should be taught about 10/11.

I think the comdom card idea is a good idea

I think all the insentives given out to teens that are pregnant should be taken away, espeically if they have more than one pregnancy. Helping teens more to be able to get a job or sta y on in education with out coming up against so many boundries

Firstly, I agree with Booth, but taking myself (having gotten pregnancy whilst using contraception at the age of 18) out of the equation I will answer anyway.

1. How old are you?

2.Where are you from?
Luton, UK (although I don't live there now.)

Yes

Maybe a few.

4. Did you know that in some areas of London the government are trying out a new scheme, ‘over the counter contraception’. What do you think about this idea?
Personally, at the age of 13, 14 or 15 I would have been mortified at the prospect of going into a pharmacy to get contraception. Infact, even now I am in a long-term, stable relationship, I get the giggles if I go to buy condoms. Maybe if they are ALL handed out contraception, say at school, it would be less of a big (and embarassing) ordeal.

5.What do you think of SRE (sex and relationship education) in schools?
I personally do not feel comfortable with my daughters sex education starting at 5, although it would of course depend on what they're teaching and at what age I haven't seen any of the SRE. I would like her to be taught about her body, and to respect herself but not how or why sex happens.

6. Do you think any of these will help reduce the rate of teen pregnancies?
If I'm getting the right impression of SRE then possibley. I used contraception (even when my daughter was conceived) because I respected myself and my boyfriend respected me.

7. What do you think will reduce the number of teens becoming pregnant?
Caring parents and better relationships between children and their parents. Peer support groups.

I don't by that mean that all parents of pregnant teenagers don't care. Just some. I know my daughter could come home pregnant at 13 despite my best efforts but some parents don't even try.

For the ladies who are saying they don't want our babies to be born, that isn't the case. They don't want unwanted, and uncared for babies to be born. Which unfortunately, for the most part, happens to be within our age group.

1.How old are you? 22

2.Where are you from? Teesside

3.Have you heard of ‘condom cards’? Yes.

No because they dont get used. They get blown up, used as water bombs and get streatched to see how big they can get.

I think its a waste of time. A lot of teenagers do not have the facts about sex and belive a lot of myths like you cant get pregnant if you have sex standing up so dont think they need contraception. They are allready ways of getting contraception but they are not used.

5 is far too young. Part of the problem is that children are growing up to early. Let them be children.

No

Education, the true facts about sex, pregnancy and rasing a child not just the facts the goverment think they should know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->