Honest Opinion Please :)

MrsMcDonald

Reaction score
Hey All,
Got a question and I need you to tell me if you think this idea is rude or not ok? Please Be Honest. My family are from America (I am in Australia) and my relatives are over there. I have only seen my grandparents twice in my life and they really want to meet my daughter before they pass away (my grandfather is sick). Do you think it is rude to have an 'America' themed birthday party for her first birthday where people can contribute to our 'America fund' as the gift (they can buy a gift if they dont want to give money) OR would it be rude to ask for that. People can obviously give a gift if they would prefer, which I will make clear. This is the poem I was going to have with the invites:

Presents are great
No doubt you’d agree
But not as important
As family
Which is why to America
We will go
So Violet can meet
Her Great Grandma and PoPo
To do this we need
The gift of money
Cause flying overseas
Can be very Costly
So give Violet the gift
She will appreciate forever
The gift of cash
for our America Endeavor

Personally, if I received that with the invite I would be more than happy to contribute. Everyone's different though so im sure there would be a few who would be miffed by it but I say just go for it.

Instead of American theme(I am visualizing Forth of July theme...please correct me if I am wrong) .how about birthday party traditionally done in America. Classic birthday cake with buttercream frosting (with fun sprinkles) like this: https://sweetapolita.com/2012/06/how-to-make-a-perfectly-delightful-vanilla-birthday-cake/, balloons streamers, pizza and chips with sodas or kool-aid

I personally think it is fine , I would love to help people to see their family again. If anyone have a problem, oh well, At least you tried.,

I really dislike money poems, have received a few in wedding invitations. I have no problem giving money, but would just prefer a little note rather than a poem.

I'd happily give money, but poems like this make me nauseous and are off-putting. I'd prefer a little note.

I wouldn't find it rude, and I think the poem is cute :flower:

I think people will be happy to contribute to your LO meeting her great grandparents :thumbup:

What a great idea! The poem is cute and appropriate for a child's party.

I LOVE the idea of you taking a trip...I have my family living in Europe and I am in the USA.
I think its great you ask for money....but I DISLIKE the poem idea.

I would make a note on the invitation saying you are planning a trip and want to reach a goal....

I think because of the reasons, prole should be more than ok with it.

Hmmm. For me, that's a hard one. I completely understand where you're coming from but I was always taught that you don't specify a preference for money because that assumes that people are getting you gifts. (Of course, who shows up to a birthday party without one?) So I don't know. Is there any way you can spread the idea that money would be a better gift this time without putting it in the invites? Maybe there's some family that could spread the idea to relatives or a good friend or something? If you do end up putting it in the invites I'd just put a little note instead of the poem.

It's fine to ask for money if you say that people can bring a gift if they prefer, or nothing at all if they can't, but like some people have said I really dislike the poem.

I think the poem is cute, I wouldn't have a problem with it personally.

I'm not a fan of the poem either. I think it's ok to ask for money in lieu of a gift but some people find this awkward. What about making an online account where people can donate but they can do it anonymously so that they don't have to feel cheap if they can't afford much? Sometimes I find people feel pressured to give exorbitant amounts when asked for money, whereas it's less obvious how much you spent on a present.

The type of online account I'm thinking of is like when people do a marathon for charity..? But I've no idea if you can do that or where you can go to set one up. Might be worth looking into? Then you could just add note onto your invite or something?

I wouldn't mind contributing but personally don't like the poem, especially the use of the word cash. Maybe as someone said set up an account or use family to spread the word.

Also if it was me I wouldn't expect to get anywhere near enough for a flight with birthday presents, even with a generous family.

Hope you get there though, enjoy the party :)

I actually think it's awful

Asking for money for a holiday rather than presents for a 1 year old?

Let's face it, however you dress it up, the child who will be 1 will not particularly understand not care for a trip to america

I would cringe at that and feel like I had no choice but to give money. Plus I dont think it is up to other peole to fund your trip.

I actually think it's awful

Asking for money for a holiday rather than presents for a 1 year old?

Let's face it, however you dress it up, the child who will be 1 will not particularly understand not care for a trip to america

The point isn't for the 1 year old to enjoy the trip to America, it's for the grand parents to meet the baby before they pass. Yes, the baby will not remember the trip but will have photo's to look back on once older of the one time baby got to meet the grand parents. It will also mean alot to the grand parents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->