Honest Opinion Please :)

OP, if this was say a party for a 5 year old and people invited were school friends whose parents you don't know overly well I would say no, don't send the poem. As this is a party for a 1 year old I would assume the majority of the guest list are close friends and family (of your husbands?) I know my close friends and family would be more than willing to help out of we were in the same situation as you.

I actually think it's awful

Asking for money for a holiday rather than presents for a 1 year old?

Let's face it, however you dress it up, the child who will be 1 will not particularly understand not care for a trip to america

The point isn't for the 1 year old to enjoy the trip to America, it's for the grand parents to meet the baby before they pass. Yes, the baby will not remember the trip but will have photo's to look back on once older of the one time baby got to meet the grand parents. It will also mean alot to the grand parents.

Yes I understand, that is what I am trying to say

The trip is for the adults but they want to use the baby's first birthday as an excuse to get people to fund it, rather than have then buy the child regular presents of toys etc

Totally get the sentiment and if a relative or friend of mine was trying to get a trip sorted for this reason I'd be happy to give cash.

Are gift lists common in Aus for birthday parties? It's not really a thing we do in UK but if it's normal there then go for it. I'd personally prefer a short note than a poem though.

If gift lists are not the norm, I think it'd be better to just ask a close relative to spread the word instead. Presumably for a first birthday party it's just family and a couple of close friends anyway? I wouldn't expect much cash though - I'd spend about a tenner for a first birthday (not sure what that us in AUD but in USD that's about $15). If I was being asked for cash I'd feel obliged to pay more as it wouldn't look like much in the card.

Instead of American theme(I am visualizing Forth of July theme...please correct me if I am wrong) .how about birthday party traditionally done in America. Classic birthday cake with buttercream frosting (with fun sprinkles) like this: https://sweetapolita.com/2012/06/how-to-make-a-perfectly-delightful-vanilla-birthday-cake/, balloons streamers, pizza and chips with sodas or kool-aid

I personally think it is fine , I would love to help people to see their family again. If anyone have a problem, oh well, At least you tried.,

Don't take this the wrong way but frosted birthday cake, balloons, finger food and sodas aren't exactly exclusively American. That sounds like a typical UK birthday party - indeed when we've been travelling we've had no problems getting hold of stuff like that for birthday celebrations in restaurants etc, even in South Korea we got frosted buttercream birthday cake and balloons.

:)

It is traditionally done that way. That's what I am trying to say. I know it is not exclusively American

To be honest I would hate it. Not the poem itself but just because I can't see anyway this is for the baby so I'd feel like the little one was missing out. Me being me would then feel obliged to put money towards the trip and still buy the baby a birthday present so they didn't miss out. :blush:

This is a hard one. coming up to my dd birthday i had loads of family ask what she needed, she didnt need anything, so instead i asked my mum to spread the word that i would prefer cash for my dd isa. On her birthday there was a bank sat in the living room, not in peoples faces where people could donate if they wanted. Some gave presents but most put money in the bank. that money was put in her bank for either something she wants or needs when she can choose for herself. So for that reason i dont think asking for money is wrong but i do dislike the poem and im not sure if people will understand that they are not just paying for you to go on holiday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->