Horrified .. drinking and smoking

AndreaBat

Reaction score
:growlmad::growlmad: i went to see a friend of mine yesterday who is 26 weeks pregnant .. next thing i know she halls out a bottle of red wine .. I'm like 'should u be drinking that' .. the answer 'my GYNAE says its okay to have two glasses of red wine a week and as long as i dont smoke more than 5 cigarettes a day it's okay' .. :nope::nope::nope:

I was totally gobsmacked to say the least .. anyone else heard from their gynae/m.wife/drb that this is okay .. :wacko::wacko:

I can not imagine that this information is correct when everywhere you read NO Smoking or Drinking when pregnant !!!!! :growlmad:

I know of a lot of people who drink wine during pregnancy. Red wine actually helps with heartburn. Of course you have to drink it in moderation, can't be getting drunk with it.

Honestly, I think that if someone can't go 9 months without smoking or drinking, then they have a serious problem! I mean come on.... It's 9 months!! I loved a drink and I smoked before I fell pregnant and as soon as I fell pregnant i stopped drinking completely, and when we started trying to fall pregnant, I gave up smoking. Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to be able to have a glass of wine once bubs is born, but not while I'm pregnant!

That is pretty horrific!

I have no problem with a glass of wine, I have one a week myself and I really enjoy it, but the smoking thing is something else. The baby needs oxygen and in smoking you deprive yourself of oxygen - never mind baby!

I dont agree that in having a glass of wine a week I must have "a serious problem" - this seems a bit extreme and judgemental to me.

Yea im the same, i dont think a glass or 2 of wine a week is ok (even though i drink zero) but smoking is not acceptable (i dont smoke anyway).... :growlmad:I know someone who thinks its ok to drink, smoke and snort drugs whilst being pregnant..and they did it all the way through previous pregnancies aswell.....obv they think its ok...Disgusts me:growlmad:...they call themselves a loving parent, but how when they are doing that to their innocent unborn child...:cry:

I don't agre with that (not a bottle!!!)

but I will admit with STephen I did have a few (about 4 in total) small rose topped off with a lot of lemonade in a pint glass - I have heard a lot of other people's midwives say 'everything in moderation' but smoking is def a no no and getting drunk is too!

The rule for abstaining Aclcohol is a recent change (last 2-3 years) before then, the guidelines were 1-2 units of alcohol a week.

I still enjoy a glass of wine every now & again & personally I don't think I have a "serious problem" In the same way, I still enjoy a runny egg every now & again & we are suppose to abstaining from them as well!

With regards to the smoking 5 a day & you'll be fine, I've never heard this one before!

My midwife told me it was safe for me to drink up to 2 units a week (not sure what that equates to) however i personally wouldn't do it!!

I have never smoked but she was very clear with me to avoid people who are smoking and not even be in close proximity to them for half an hour afterwards - i would therefore be VERY surprised if somebody was advised it was 'ok' to smoke as long as it wasn't more than a certain amount?!!!

But hten you get people like Kerry Katona who smoked all the away through and she claimed her midwife/dr said it was better for her and baby to smoke a couple a day than to start giving up when pregnant! (I agree with smoking in pregnancy but maybe her midwife did say somethign about 5 a day? :-/)

Its a subject that can cause alot of arguments on bnb... personally, if i had been around a pregnant friend that was smoking and drinking, id have had a lot more to say. i think its wrong totally. I understand alot of women find it hard to give up cigarettes, and admire any woman that manages to, or even cuts down. But alcohol? Unless you are an alcoholic, i fail to see how its so hard to stop yourself having a drink. So many babies have been born with that alcohol feotal syndrome...even babies whos mothers drank "moderatly".
x

That is pretty horrific!

I have no problem with a glass of wine, I have one a week myself and I really enjoy it, but the smoking thing is something else. The baby needs oxygen and in smoking you deprive yourself of oxygen - never mind baby!

I dont agree that in having a glass of wine a week I must have "a serious problem" - this seems a bit extreme and judgemental to me.

I'm with you on every point here. I have one glass a week and the doctor too said that fine, but smoking is a no no.

I don't feel there is a problem with drinking a small amount of alcohol, but definitely not smoking.

loving how you are all justifying drinking in pregnancy but not smoking

I have actually heard of someone being told that before, it certainly wasn't me or my midwife but I think someone I've read about on here who's midwife said it was better to smoke a few a day than the 30 she was smoking. But not for me:) I'm not a smoker or a drinker though

But I don't think there is any need to be rude on this forum and I wish some people would think before they type

Well i drink in pregnancy-not first 12 weeks but yes after that. I have a few glasses of wine when i fancy and have done in all my pregnancies....this is baby number 6 and i'm 40, had my first at 23.

I watch my diet, have a few drinks in moderation and go about life as normal. I still go out with the girls, take mini breaks and going glastonbury 4 weeks before baby is born.

If i'm tired i rest up but apart from that do much the same. I'm pregnant not ill and i really believe the Uk is such a 'nanny' state and getting worse. At the end of the day you know what is right and wrong for you...

Well i drink in pregnancy-not first 12 weeks but yes after that. I have a few glasses of wine when i fancy and have done in all my pregnancies....this is baby number 6 and i'm 40, had my first at 23.

I watch my diet, have a few drinks in moderation and go about life as normal. I still go out with the girls, take mini breaks and going glastonbury 4 weeks before baby is born.

If i'm tired i rest up but apart from that do much the same. I'm pregnant not ill and i really believe the Uk is such a 'nanny' state and getting worse. At the end of the day you know what is right and wrong for you...

WOW number 6.......you must be crazy lol

I think I recall reading something that says that the more you smoke a day, the worse it is. Meaning that, if you haven't quit, each cigarette a day is that much worse than the one before.
Perhaps this woman had cut down to 5 a day and her midwife had said that was good, as in, that's good that you've cut down, and she's taken it to mean something different.

Smoking and drinking are extremely contraversial topics on this forum, with everyone thinking their own opinion is the right one, so I hope this doesn't end up in an argument like other threads.

Personally, I quit the day I found out I was pregnant. I know the harm smoking causes me, that's fine, but I won't inflict it on someone else if I can help it.
I was lucky though and found it easy to quit, I know some people have a nightmare with it.

I've had minimal alcohol while pregnant, (2 glasses in 4 months) but I think guidelines here are more lenient than in other countries.

That is pretty horrific!

I'm with you on every point here. I have one glass a week and the doctor too said that fine, but smoking is a no no.

I agree with both of you, I gave up smoking, but I understand that some people find it very difficult, but they should at least try. As for a glass of wine, although I have only had one through th whole of my pregnancy so far, i dont see a problem. Its not like getting ratted is it?
Now I know that hormones are rageing during pregnancy, but I wouldnt want to judge anyone else on their health choices :shrug:, even if i do tut when I have to walk past smokers rooted to the hospital enterance :lol: :winkwink:

I gave up smoking when i was 16 weeks pregnant with Taylor and i did it cold turkey, i do think its a load of bull about the stress it can cause.

I didnt smoke with Mollie or Katie.

She was fine.

Grew well and i had no problems.

Didnt drink so cant comment, but to keep drinking (getting drunk) every week while pregnant is IMHO just wrong.

V xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->