January 2020 Garnets

Im supposed to have it Wednesday BUT im a doodle. I didnt want it and it's the one test I didnt mark decline on. Grrr.
My midwife has you eat as normal and poke your finger with a meter.

I wouldnt do the stupid thing if I could find a way to get out of it.

Literati, my glucose test is scheduled for 28 weeks. They gave me the drink at my last appointment to save until then. Mine is clear too. In the past they have tasted like the orange soda, but I think they were orange colored. I wonder if this will be like yours. Just sugar water. That does sound gross!

Serenyx - ooh okay! Interesting that they wait longer for it there. I will have to get my Win Rho shot at 28 weeks as well (I think the equivalent of your anti-D shot).

Ashley - yes, my previous ones were orange coloured as well, so I’m betting yours is like mine this time. How strange - I wonder why they changed it to make it even more gross?

OnErth - at least that doesn’t take much time out of your day and you can just eat normally! Drinking that gross drink and sitting at the lab for an hour is never fun. I think here you can technically opt out of it, but I wouldn’t want to risk it.

I have done that drink in the past. I could opt out and intended to but I didnt read the contract close enough. It was the one test on the list that I missed. I declined everything else.

DS- drank the drink at home, went to lab. Passed. Didnt know I could deny it.
Dd1- same as DS
Dd2- declined test all together.
This baby- was supposed to be like dd2. Im low risk and the treatment is changing your diet and exercise.

I know it’s scheduled at 24-28 weeks. So must not matter too much when as long as it’s between those weeks. For mine I can drink it at home. Have to finish it within 5 minutes. Then I have to make sure I’m at the office 15 minutes before the hour is up so they can check my blood sugar levels right at the hour. In the past I just drank it at the office and waited there the full hour. So this is nicer.

We normally have it scheduled for around 25 weeks here but I have to go get my iron levels checked at 28 weeks so the midwife said since I'm low risk I can just do my gd test at the same time to save myself a trip to the lab.

The orange drink made me feel drunk when I was pregnant with DS. :drunk:

Serenyx - ooh okay! Interesting that they wait longer for it there. I will have to get my Win Rho shot at 28 weeks as well (I think the equivalent of your anti-D shot).
Yes that sounds the same - Rhogam is the brand name my hospital uses, it is just because I am rhesus negative and DH is rhesus positive. Both DD1 and DD2 also ended up positive.

Your test sounds a bit better than mine. I have to be nil by mouth from midnight. I then go in at 9am and have a blood test, afterwards drink the glucose drink and then have a further blood test 2 hours later. Its funny how different countries do it differently!

I have a GTT on the 29th. I'm dreading it. Never had one before. Everyone I have spoken too have said it can make you feel quite faint. They have changed the drink in the UK now too. It used to be lucozade but now it's like a really thick pure glucose drink :-#.

Sophie that’s such a gorgeous picture!
My GTT test is the same as Serenyx’s! Dreading it. I have to sit without moving for the two hours in the hospital too! I’ll be 28 weeks when I have it (7th November).

You all should see about an alternative test or decline it. Here's the alternative is eating jelly beans or just testing on your own. It doesnt hurt to ask.

There’s no risks to the baby from the test. I’d rather just do it as I think it’s the most reliable way to have it confirmed whether you do or don’t have it.

I was just saying the alternative could be a choice. Not everyone tolerates the drink well (even healthy people).

Is anyone doing maternity photos? Not the belly ones but professional. I never have.

The glucose test has never bothered me in the past. But like OnErth said you can request to eat jelly beans or similar in the same amount of sugar content. I know some will allow you to do that. I’ve never bothered with asking since I have no issues with the regular method. But I think maybe it’s because I love sweets so much and tend to over indulge on them so I must be used to high sugar content. Though this pregnancy I’m not eating as much sugar so hopefully I will be okay.
That thick pure glucose sounds awful. I think the texture would make me gag.

The glucose test has never bothered me in the past. But like OnErth said you can request to eat jelly beans or similar in the same amount of sugar content. I know some will allow you to do that. I’ve never bothered with asking since I have no issues with the regular method. But I think maybe it’s because I love sweets so much and tend to over indulge on them so I must be used to high sugar content. Though this pregnancy I’m not eating as much sugar so hopefully I will be okay.
That thick pure glucose sounds awful. I think the texture would make me gag.

This is what I'm worried about. Atm I cant stand anything thick texture wise in my mouth. Even toothpaste is making me gag. I have to have the test due to being overweight (even though I've lost 20lb!) I suppose it's best just to get it done and hope that it doesn't make me sick. Once it's done, it's done isnt it.

On earth - I don't think you can do the GTT here in the UK in any other way than what the hospital ask you to.

I've never had a maternity shoot myself but know friends who have and they have turned out gorgeous. Also have a few friends who have had castings done of their baby bumps which is quite cute.

What is everyone packing in their hospital bags for both them and the baby? Not sure how much of everything I will need as I've never had a section before. I know its normally only a 1 night stay which is good. 4 years since I last packed for the hospital and can't remember for the life of me what I need and don't need lol X

Here if you fail the 1st gtt test, you have to repeat it, so it wouldnt be one and done.

I've seen the weird casting. Not my thing but it is unique.

I posted my hospital back list awhile back.

For a csection, it's the same as a vaginal birth. Maybe extra clothes since they keep you longer but that's it. My sections kept me 5 days vs vaginal were 1. Now vaginal is 1 and csection keeps you 3.

What is everyone packing in their hospital bags for both them and the baby? Not sure how much of everything I will need as I've never had a section before. I know its normally only a 1 night stay which is good. 4 years since I last packed for the hospital and can't remember for the life of me what I need and don't need lol X
Both my previous sections in two separate hospitals have been 2 night stays (and I had to self discharge for the first one! They wanted me to stay in an extra night - I got them to let me go home by promising to come back as an out-patient the next day :lol: ).

I normally completely overpack and don't use most of it! I was being hopeful and took a book last time - I didn't manage to read a single page. Literally all I will take for myself is a dressing gown, change of clothes (including a nursing bra) and lots of maternity pads (and all the usual toiletries). Possibly some Lasinoh cream and breast pads too, but my milk takes a couple of days to come in properly so even the breast pads didn't get used last time.

For baby, I normally take clothes in a couple of sizes (my first was smaller than predicted so the clothes we had swamped her!) and a couple of packs of nappies and wipes (actually usually cotton wool for the first few days), along with a toy and a blanket (but the hospital provide blankets whilst you are there so even that isn't strictly necessary - only for the journey home). Since it will be January I will need to take some warm outer clothes to bring her home in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->