~*Learning*To*Bake*&*Decorate*~Lesson 2 -Icing with fondant added!

they tend to be half inches so I avoid them!!

so 24cm is about 9.5 inches, I just usually search for them measured in inches!!

Rightio, will do. That will make it easier for someone like me...:haha:

my cake is OFFICIALLY in the oven!!!
im very excited.. was easier than i was expecting, but i need to see if its edible before saying that really!
few things i wasnt sure of...
couldnt get release spray ANYWHERE, so i greased the tins with the stork.. that ok?
alsol... how full to fill them? mine are quite full but im afraid when it rises it will be HUGE lol...
is it meant to be so thick? i was excpecting liquid...
will take pics when its done!

oh lord :shrug: this is going to be the biggest cake ever... they are HUGE already :dohh::dohh::dohh::dohh: smell fab tho!!:thumbup:

my cake is OFFICIALLY in the oven!!!
im very excited.. was easier than i was expecting, but i need to see if its edible before saying that really!
few things i wasnt sure of...
couldnt get release spray ANYWHERE, so i greased the tins with the stork.. that ok?
alsol... how full to fill them? mine are quite full but im afraid when it rises it will be HUGE lol...
is it meant to be so thick? i was excpecting liquid...
will take pics when its done!

Yep greasing with stork is the next best thing :thumbup:

is it 2 x 8" sandwich tins you are using? Mine usually just splits perfect between the 2 of them and they fill to about half way up :)

Yep your mix should be thick :)

How did it go?

I used your recipe for my daughters 1st birthday and it was delcious hun.

I am off to treat myself to a food mixer with dough hooks etc on Mon x

My only bug I get is my cakes either crack or go to brown on top.To hot i'm guessing?

yep too hot so its baking too fast.

turn your oven down and add some time on :) Its all trial and error hunny, everyones oven is different too!

Mine bakes faster on one side so I have to get them at the exact right time (so they dont sink) and turn the tins round!!

Its a new fan oven and i have to cook most of my food on 150 degress x

i cant find the bloody camera lead, but it went well!
i think my oven needed to be lower tho.. its fan assisted so i went with your timings, but mine seems to be hotter as i checked them with 10+mins to go, and they were close to burnt on top, think i got them out just at the right time, but they were a little... tanned on top lol... the cake was scrummy.. we both loved it, but i think it was a bit....something lol.. im not sure what, i need you to taste it!!
i think it was texture not taste, it wasnt quite as fluffy as id like,and maybe a bit too dry.. not sure if thats to do with the over cooking, or that ive not got the mix itself quite right..practice makes perfect i guess!
the buttercream was perfect tho! (mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm)
my cakes were big... BIG hehe. maybe its because i only had large eggs, (and they were bigguns) so it meant more weight of other ingredients, so more mix?
it was 2 24cm sandwich tins, they were the closest i could find to 8", and my mix filled them right to the top.. maybe i shouldnt put so much in next time then....
should they be flat on top? mine sloped upwards towards the middle, which made fitting them together tricky, (so i sliced the pointy bit off the bottom one lol) but other that that, it was a success!! (oh yeah, the stork worked perfectly, they just popped right out!)

thank you SO much for helping me! i cant wait to make the next one!!

i think my oven needed to be lower tho.. its fan assisted so i went with your timings, but mine seems to be hotter as i checked them with 10+mins to go, and they were close to burnt on top, think i got them out just at the right time, but they were a little... tanned on top lol... the cake was scrummy.. we both loved it, but i think it was a bit....something lol.. im not sure what, i need you to taste it!!
i think it was texture not taste, it wasnt quite as fluffy as id like,and maybe a bit too dry.. not sure if thats to do with the over cooking, or that ive not got the mix itself quite right..practice makes perfect i guess!
my cakes were big... BIG hehe. maybe its because i only had large eggs, (and they were bigguns) so it meant more weight of other ingredients, so more mix?
it was 2 24cm sandwich tins, they were the closest i could find to 8", and my mix filled them right to the top.. maybe i shouldnt put so much in next time then....
should they be flat on top? mine sloped upwards towards the middle, which made fitting them together tricky, (so i sliced the pointy bit off the bottom one lol) but other that that, it was a success!! (oh yeah, the stork worked perfectly, they just popped right out!)

Sounds like it went well!! Well done!

Yep play around with oven temp and timings next time hun, like I sadi to Zoe, its trial and error till you get it suited to your oven!
yep I usually have to slice the top off one or both of them too! Adjusting your oven temo can stop them rising too big!
It could also be why they are a little heavy in texture too.

I suspect the big eggs probably meant more mix so yeah, bigger cakes!

well done!! sounds like it went great!! yeah a dome is normal.....what i do, when putting the mixture into the tins i push the mixture up the sides, and less in the middle.....when my cake comes out i hardly ever have a dome in the middle!

sounds like a very successful cake!! well done!

Ooooh I'm going to be following this group :D Need to get supplies!

I've been and got all my stuff from Morrisons this evening apart from vanilla essence & grease proof paper which they didn't have so i'm off to Asda first thing tomorrow then i'll start once i'm back!

Just to let you know ladies, self raising flour 'homepride' make is on offer at Morrisons at 50p instead of £1 summat :lol: I was going to get they're own make but didn't know if it'd be too cheap? :shrug:

I used to buy big brand stufff till some of the girls on the other group said it makes no difference as long as you use porper stork.

Have to admit though I am STILL buying Be-Ro flour and expensive jam and butter etc the only thing I buy the cheap version of is my eggs :)

Is Vanilla Extract the same as Vanilla Essence? :confused:

Been to Asda this morning for Vanilla Essence but they didn't have any so got Extract instead....:?

Sorry another question :blush:

How much of each of these do i need?

Caster sugar
stork margarine
self raising flour

:?

extract is better :)

once you have weighed all your eggs while they are still in thier shells you will get a weight.....
Then weigh out everything else to that weight too......

So if your eggs weigh 175g you will then use 175g of sugar, marg and flour :)

Ahhhhh i'm with you now, thank you muchly :hugs:

Will let you know how it goes....probably not very well knowing my luck :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back