~*Learning*To*Bake*&*Decorate*~Lesson 2 -Icing with fondant added!

im going to make my second attempt tonight! will let you know how it goes ;-)

have fun hun.I need to do a practise run but to tired lol

I've still not done mine yet, having to wait until Maddie's settled and gone to sleep otherwise it'll end up burnt or summat :rofl:

Good luck!!

:hi: ladies just thought id pop in with some tips!!

If you can get hold of it .. Dougals or Dougles Supreme Sponge flour will give you fantastically light spone cake, cheap flour can sometimes leave the cake a little dense, not really noticeable to the untrained eye but it really does make a difference

Also for people looking for an alternative recipe to buttercream icing, this is how i make mine and it keeps its stiffness ever so well

I use ...

200g soft cheese (any type will do, own brand, doesnt have to be philly, but must be full fat)
100g butter
600g icing sugar

That will ice roughly 18 cupcakes :thumbup:

Anyone been using fondant to decorate cupcakes instead of buttercream? Im hand making the fondant but im struggling to get it to the right consistency :hissy:

Ohh forgot to say im making a birthday cake for another member on here over the weekend so will post some piccies up once its all done, probably wont be until Monday night though, have to do a circular 9" cake with a Peppa Pig topper and 10 matching cupcakes with matching toppers :cloud9:

:hi: ladies just thought id pop in with some tips!!

If you can get hold of it .. Dougals or Dougles Supreme Sponge flour
will give you fantastically light spone cake, cheap flour can sometimes leave the cake a little dense, not really noticeable to the untrained eye but it really does make a difference

Also for people looking for an alternative recipe to buttercream icing, this is how i make mine and it keeps its stiffness ever so well

I use ...

200g soft cheese (any type will do, own brand, doesnt have to be philly, but must be full fat)
100g butter
600g icing sugar

That will ice roughly 18 cupcakes :thumbup:

Anyone been using fondant to decorate cupcakes instead of buttercream? Im hand making the fondant but im struggling to get it to the right consistency :hissy:

Is it Mcdougalls?

What do you mean when you say you are decorating them with fondant?

Are you making your fondant from scratch or your making runny fondant..... or decorating with roll out!?!

I think so, i know its dougle something, its in a blue packest with pictures of little cakes on :lol:

Im using runny fondant, so thicker consistency than as if it were made with regular icing sugar, i like the American style cupcakes but you cant eally get the same effect with buttercream

LOL I'm still confused!

i thought runny fondant was used on like french fancies and iced buns, and American style cupcakes were made using buttercream!!
:wacko:

Ok your not thinking of the same cupcakes as me lol

I cant find a picture but you know you can buy those cupcakes by the fabulous bakin' boys in Tescos, they are iced flat and its like a thick harder icing, not as soft as buttercream

Do you know what i mean?

Ahhhh! i got ya!

Like on a cherry bakewell!

isn't that Glace icing? Or Royal......

I'm on a mission now to find out!

or for runny fondant I think you use this sugar........ https://www.squires-shop.com/ibf/index.php?p=product&id=3340&parent=38

LOL now you know what i mean :lol:

I made some before but it was quite runny and didnt set right, even after leaving them in the fridge overnight. Pain in the butt :hissy:

Has anyone got any good recommendations for places that sell cheap cake boxes, esp cupcake boxes, Ebay seems expensive to me, or maybe im just tight since the boxes get used once :rofl:

the cheapest i have found single and 4 hole boxes is here..........

https://www.craftcompany.co.uk/acatalog/Boxes___Transportation.html

I buy the 59p ones!

Im such a dozy bint, i use them all the time and didnt even think to look on there haha, thanks for the reminder :dohh:

The girl at work uses them too so we usually double up on our order and split the postage costs!! I love them, ive never had a problem with any of my orders from there

Can I come in here please? :blush:

Ive been looking at all those yummy cakes you lot have been putting on FB and I would love to be able to make the kids some simple sorts of cakes at first.

I have a cupcake and muffin recipe book but have never used it.....I should, I'd love to be able to make Leo's 1st birthday cake too...:thumbup:

Im going to take some notes from this thread, what I will need etc and go shopping on tuesday:thumbup:

Im such a dozy bint, i use them all the time and didnt even think to look on there haha, thanks for the reminder :dohh:

The girl at work uses them too so we usually double up on our order and split the postage costs!! I love them, ive never had a problem with any of my orders from there

Haha!

yeah Ive had no problems with them at all, good and fast!

Can I come in here please? :blush:

Ive been looking at all those yummy cakes you lot have been putting on ebay and I would love to be able to make the kids some simple sorts of cakes at first.

I have a cupcake and muffin recipe book but have never used it.....I should, I'd love to be able to make Leo's 1st birthday cake too...:thumbup:

Im going to take some notes from this thread, what I will need etc and go shopping on tuesday:thumbup:

course you can! :wave:

You WILL be making Leos birthday cake!

yay!
If I'm honet, the whole baking thing scares me...:wacko:

If I do a crap job the first time, I sorta lose hope and dont bother again... so I gotta try and keep positive..

I WILL do that cake!

I now own a rolling pin, bun tin, cake tin, and new mixing bowl. Just need an electric whisk now ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->