~*Learning*To*Bake*&*Decorate*~Lesson 2 -Icing with fondant added!

Oooo im too old school i do mine by hand, i know its easier to use an electric whisk but dont think you can beat a good old wooden spoon :lol:

I have a whole cupboard full of cake making stuff, if anyone needs to stock up on supplies that website thecraftcompany that me and Andrea mentioned earlier is pretty good, and much cheaper than Hobbycrat, jeez that place is one hell of a rip off :shock:

Jacqui you need to set your eyes on the goal, pic a cake you want to make, then have 2 or 3 pratice runs beforehand, you can do anything really, what about something he likes from tv?

Ohhhh yes Holly! He's not really into anything as such, just baby tv music...he does like brobee though, but his singing teddy...hmmmmm how hard would that be?

thanks PP, I would be so made up with myself if I could do this and it was actually edible.

Ive tasted cakes that are too dry, too soggy etc Im quite picky with textures. :dohh:

I wonder if I can find something on line that I can use as my 'inspiration'

Do you know what be the ultimate goal, to do the cake plus some matching cupcakes...:thumbup:

Ok well why dont you make a Brobee cake!! Dont think itd be too hard, all youd need to do is bake a rectangular sponge and then cut the shape of Brobee from a template, then hand pipe the icing onto the cake, all youd need is 2 shades of gree, white, red, and a little black. Easy peasy if you handmake the buttercream icing. Then you could buy some YGG fairy cake toppers and put them onto your cupcakes.

Second thoughts it sounds quite hard :rofl:

ok now girls tell me if you think I'm being a bit enthusuastic but this is the kind of thing I am hoping to acheieve. I dont expect it to be anything like it, but if it resembled something like I'd be soo pleased.

The main cake will be just one layer, covered in the green with spots like it is with a brobee figure on the top and HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEO with one candle somewhere....

the cake itself looks pretty easy as the spots are cut out yeah? How on earth do I get the striped effect on the brobee figure?

I think it all looks pretty easy apart from the Brobee on top, youd be better to use a plastic one IMO :lol:

Have a look on here for inspiration, i love this site!!

https://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/cake-designs.html

Bloody hell Holly! You do yours by hand?! :shock: Suppose its a good workout for your arms eh!

Jac, it is totally do-able, I was so shit at making cakes 9 months ago, honestly you should have seen the state of some of them!
Just loads of practise till you get it right!

Agree with Holly though, I would buy a Brobee for the top, but other than that the rest is pretty straight forward :)
Once you have mastered the perfect sponge mix, you use the same recipe for cupcakes! :)

Bloody hell Holly! You do yours by hand?! :shock: Suppose its a good workout for your arms eh!

Jac, it is totally do-able, I was so shit at making cakes 9 months ago, honestly you should have seen the state of some of them!
Just loads of practise till you get it right!

Agree with Holly though, I would buy a Brobee for the top, but other than that the rest is pretty straight forward :)
Once you have mastered the perfect sponge mix, you use the same recipe for cupcakes! :)

ok after having a good look about ive found a set of 5 yo gabba figures for a tenner so would make sense to use those on the top.:thumbup:

Ok, so what do I need to have a go at this? Been looking at cake tins? I know theres a list on first page and am gonna take notes from there but im gonna need some kind of cutter to do the circles? is that icing all over the top? how the hell does it get so smooth? can I use allready made icing you think?

yep you can get circle cutters, some more expensive than others but I found them all as good as each other!
I have these ones......... https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cake-Decorating-biscuit-clay-craft-cutters-Circle_W0QQitemZ400100771616QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUk_Crafts_Cake_Decorating_MJ?hash=item5d27dd4720

Dont think you will find them cheaper than that!

the icing that is all over the cake is called "fondant" or "sugarpaste" You can buy it pre coloured online or you can but the white stuff from asda/tesco and colour it yourself :)

before you put your fondant on your cake you will need to cover the whole sponge in buttercream icing (recipe on the first page)
This is what evens out the sponge cake and helps make the fondant smooth :)

Getting it smooth is mostly practise and you use edgers and smoothers to help along the way!
Like these......
https://www.craftcompany.co.uk/acatalog/Smoothers_and_Side_scrappers.html

right ive got the cutters, which edger will i need to get that nice rounded effect on the outer edge hun? and which for all over?

I have these ones........
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EDGERS-CAKE-SMOOTHER-SIDE-EDGER-STARTER-PACK-NEW_W0QQitemZ180459888747QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUk_Crafts_Cake_Decorating_MJ?hash=item2a043f606b

awwww cute cake!!

good luck with it, i bet he will love it when its done!!

just uploading my new cake pics to facebook...will post them in the other thread in a mo.

I do all mine by hand too :D dying on a kitchenaid though :(

great thread idea btw!

Ummm Jac, Poundstetcher sell a box of all 5 YGG figures for £3.99, Brookes on her 3rd set :rofl:

oooooo ive wanted a kitchen aid for ages!!! but £300+ is alot of money!!!!
but ive already gone through 7 hand mixers so i could have probably paid for one by now! LOL

right girls.....its not very often that im the last poster on a thread...i came back on here to find i was STILL the last person to post on the other cake thread so i think some of you girls should come on over!!!!!! it contains lots of other peoples creations, recipes and cake pictures, so u should join in!!!

HERE!!!

https://www.babyandbump.com/bnb-groups/131879-cake-making-baking-group-156.html

Ummm Jac, Poundstetcher sell a box of all 5 YGG figures for £3.99, Brookes on her 3rd set :rofl:

OMG good job I only put them in my watch list then!
are they 3-5 inches, like these?
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360236304463&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I do all mine by hand too :D dying on a kitchenaid though :(

great thread idea btw!

Me toooooo!!!!! The apple green one is so so so gorgeous!

I am trying to convince OH that it will look amazing in my newly decorated kitchen and that it will eventually pay for itself!! :blush:

LOL a girl can try eh! I could use the old..... "well it will be for mothersday/birthday/xmas all in one" :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->