~*Learning*To*Bake*&*Decorate*~Lesson 2 -Icing with fondant added!

ooh thank you. :flower:

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/professional-piping-set/F/C/cooking-baking-cake-decorating/product/2233
I'm considering picking this set up, that nozzel looks similar...disposable icing bags from there are £5.99 to, save on the washing up!

Ohhh thanks, ive bookmarked that site as I'm after some cake storage tins and cupcake plates:thumbup:

I'm gonna be skint soon:blush:

i think im gonna try the icing bags they look quite good !

I buy disposable icing bags, then I just cut off the end with the nozzle and chuck the rest!

They look remarkably like freezer bags though so I think I may use them next time and save some money!!

This has to be the most expensive project I've done so far! Hence why I rarley practice anymore :(
I just wing it when It comes to making a real cake for someone!

Going to add the fondant bit to first page now!

lol andrea...now you know why i dont practice! the materials cost too much!! LOL

LOL I know! I just had a teeny order get delivered with some boards/boxes and a couple fo colours and modelling paste.....

£50!!!

silly question if i want to make my butter cream a light pink do i use a tiny little bit of red food colouring?? or does it have to be a pink food colouring?

Just a little tip ive picked up for helping to get your buttercream base extra smooth ... when its tacky to the touch get a piece of kitchen roll and gently press/smooth it over the buttercream with your hand, particulary good for getting the sides extra smooth as sometimes its difficult with a smoother when the buttercream is still fair wet, but too heavy handed for a smoother when tacky

uhm andrea (or holly) that recipe for sponge, is it the same for cupcakes?

polo princess...thats called the 'viva towel method' its american.
viva is the name of an un-patterned kitchen roll in america.
you need something that has no pattern (and bumps) coz it will just transfer into your buttercream.

i havent bothered with it myself because to get it to set properly they use half butter, half veg fat....n it doesnt taste as nice!!

:sick: i bet that tastes like dirt :lol:

While ive remembered has anyone got any tips for getting buttercream white? Sounds like an obvious one doesnt it but its really not, the lightest i can get it is a very very pale yellow, but makes it a pain when trying to make pastel blue icing as its always green tinged :hissy:

Going to do a batch of cupcakes tonight to take to the meet tomorrow

For the cupcake makers, does anyone use a glaze on top of their cupcakes before icing? I hadnt, then i saw a recipe and i love it!! Makes them taste SO much nicer but its really subtle

polo princess you add vinegar to make it white...sounds odd i know but its true LOL, havent really needed to do it though myself xx

Vinegar? Doesnt that taste rank? :lol:

Andrea where sells it? I havent seen it in the usual places (Tesco/Asda/Sainsburys)

you'll get it from the cake craft place we order from!

Just type in whitener, it says its for Royal icing but works just as well with buttercream :thumbup:

LOL i think its a teeny amount of vinegar Holly!! The sugar will take over the vinegar taste!

I found it on the same site we use today Andrea, so ive ordered that and a few little bits and bobs!!

Got a few projects now over the next few months. Have birthday cupcakes due in a fortnight, then x2 more lots of birthday cupcakes in June and have also had an enquiry about 50 cupcakes for a little girls birthday part in April *phew*

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->