Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Cooking & Baking' started by taperjeangirl, Feb 23, 2010.
yay im ready for lesson 2!
Shit, i'm still waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind I WILL do a cake this afternoon, OH will have to watch Madison whilst i do it. THEN, i'll be ready for lesson 2
Will posts pics when i've done it...
Holly, Im about to go for it again!
I'm doing chocolate sponge with chocolate fudge filling and raspberry and chocolate cup cakes
I NEED your help though please
I want to do chocolate flavour buttercream swirlies on the top of my big choc sponge.....do I just add cocoa powder to the regular mix?
Im doing pink swirlie stuff for the top of my cupcakes and will just add a spot of red food colouring as per the recipe, but I want my other one to taste chocolatey
can you help hun?
yes i just add cocoa powder to my butercream
yesterday i made carrot cake which has gone down well, forgot to take a pic thou and there is only a little left
ooo whats your carrot cake recipe x
and to make chocolate sponge i just replace the flour with cocoa powder yes? i think thats what TJG said to do?
when i made chocolate sponge i just added cocoa powder, i didnt put in any less flour didnt know i should. nevermind it tasted alright.
heres the carrot cake recipe (i got it out one of my cook books)
*15ml/ 1 tbsp caster sugar
*225g/ 8oz butter
*225g/ 8oz soft light brown sugar
*225g/8oz carrots grated
*115g/ 4oz sultanas
*225g/ 8oz self raising wholemeal flour
*5ml/ 1 tsp baking powder
*50g/ 2oz caster sugar
*1 egg white
1. preheat oven to 180, lightly grease 8" loose based cake tin and line the base with a circle of greaseproof paper
2. finely grate the lemon and orange. Put about half the rind selecting the longest sgreds in a bowl and mix with the caster sugar. Arrange the sugar coated rind on a sheet of greaseproof paper and leave in a warm place to dry thoroughly.
3. cream the butter and sugar untill pale and fluffy. Add the eggs gradually, then beat well. Stir in the unsugared rinds and grated carrot, 30ml/ 2 tbsp orange uice and the sultanas.
4. Gradually fold in the flour and baking powder, and tip into the prepared tin. Bake for 1 1/2 hours until risen, golden and just firm.
5. Leave the cake to cool slightly in the tin then turn out on to a serving plate.
6. To make the topping place the caster sugar in a bowl over boiling water with 30ml/ 2 tbsp
of the remaining orange juice. stir over the heat until the sugar begins to dissolve. Remove from the heat add the egg white and salt and whisk for 1 minute with an electric beater.
7. Return to the heat and whisk for about 6 minutes untill the mixture become thick and glossy, holding a good shape. Allow to cool slightly, whisking frequently.
8. Swirl the cooked meringue topping over the cake and leave to firm up for 1 hour. To serve sprinkle with the sugared lemon and orange rind, which should now be dry and crumbly.
it was the first time ive made it and people liked it so i must of done it right
I will add lesson 2 after Boo goes to bed tonight!!!
Jacqui to make chocolate buttercream i use melted chocolate mixed with a little cream, gives it a more "chocolatey" taste than cocoa powder iykwim? Plus you can do white or dark choc too. I havent made white choc buttercream but my friend at work did and it was SCRUMMY!!
Meh, i need a new project
Someone asked me to make them some cupcakes but they wanted them for Friday and i cant do it then as ive got other commitments at the end of the week
My next project is going to be an easter cake....this is going to be my first iced cake with chics and eggs on...woop!
Ooohhhh Holly, I went to poundstretchers and found the yo gabba gabba figures for £3.99 so they are safely tucked away out of prying eyes.
Where can I get the deep cupcake trays from girls?
I got mine from Wilkinson's, Jac
got mine from wilkos too x
Ohhh I dont have a wilko's by me.....its in chester
anywhere else? Ive seen some on ebay but I want to make some on tuesday...
Got mine from Sainsburys hun
Ah theres a sainsburys in the next town so will try there on tue.
Holly.....icing bags, do you use disposable and also, what nozzle do you use to get the nice swirls on the top?
I just use disposable because theres already too much washing up for my liking.
I use ummm a Wilton 1M nozzle i think, i know its definatley a 1 something, think its an M
ahh yeah Ive seen lea post about those....where can i get those from holly?
I'd love to know too please Holly.
I'm also after a wilton 1M nozzel, cant seem to get a hold of one?
Ohhh I found one!
Here you go: