living with kids with allergies group

I've asked this in baby club but thought I'd post here too to see what you guys plan to use for your LOs with sensitive skin during summer. Just not sure whether one of those all in one wetsuits will irritate ezcema further?

Now that the shops have all their summer gear in, I keep seeing things like this:
https://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/sp+Ba...-Nappies+B2748

Has anyone used these and are they better than getting a few packs of little swimmers/disposable swim nappies for summer holidays etc?

Or is it better for LO to be in one of those all in one sun protection wetsuit things (with disposable swim nappy underneath) when on holiday??

Gah, too many options!!

Being a clothie i would go for the reuseable option :blush:

I would give a wetsuit a go as they protect from the sun aswell. I think you can get thinner material option ones but i dont think they keep LO very warm when theyre wet.

Button, big :hugs: we all make mistakes. I still do even though weve been doing this diet since last summer!

Being a clothie i would go for the reuseable option :blush:

I would give a wetsuit a go as they protect from the sun aswell. I think you can get thinner material option ones but i dont think they keep LO very warm when theyre wet.

Button, big :hugs: we all make mistakes. I still do even though weve been doing this diet since last summer!

Although all this summer gear is pricey, I might get one of each so we've got options in case one of them afffects his skin. Don't want to be stuck in the middle of france with an ezcema flare up and a baby who can't go swimming.

:hugs: button, im like AG i still slip up sometimes and weve been dairy free since dec 09 and sometimes you just cant help it its hard work checking everything especially when they use all sorts of names for milk.

Im really struggling with wheat free, went and got connor some stuff yesterday and he wont eat it especially the bread, dont know what to do.

Bread, you might be better making your own? Alex was quite picky with bread aswell as our options are limited even with just dairy and soya free

Sounds stupid but how do you make bread? Im not a very skilled in the cooking department

We had the wheat free bread and it is very dry I found but worked well as toast

We just got an appointment for Little Man at the hospital! it's next friday at 11!!!

Sorry I haven't stopped in for so long!! Hope everyone is doing well :hugs:

Jemma - I make bread for my LO. Is it all wheat (including ancient grains like spelt and kamut) or just plain wheat that he can't have? I often make bread with spelt and it's really similar to regular bread - especially if it's white spelt.

Khloeee - I have a sunsuit for Bun - it's like a wetsuit but thin and not for warmth. I like it because he reacts badly to most sunscreens. We also use reusable swim nappies. xx

Jemma - I make bread for my LO. Is it all wheat (including ancient grains like spelt and kamut) or just plain wheat that he can't have? I often make bread with spelt and it's really similar to regular bread - especially if it's white spelt.

Khloeee - I have a sunsuit for Bun - it's like a wetsuit but thin and not for warmth. I like it because he reacts badly to most sunscreens. We also use reusable swim nappies. xx

Is it cotton rather than nylon/wetsuit material? I've heard the cotton type are best for sensitive skin.

im going to use this for a moan lol as you ladies will understand.

gluten/wheat/dairy free food is so expensive!!!

im a single mum on benefits and its a real struggle!

i get no food on prescription and i get no extra help from fob.

its ridiculous!!

and the fact i have not once in kais whole 2 years have i been able to eat out at a restaurant with him as a family seeing as everywhere i looked has either gluten free or dairy free and nothing that is both free!!!

im in a mood today and im fed up struggling with affording the food i need to keep my son healthy with no assistance from anywhere!!!

:hugs: Billy2mm I do sympathise, we do work but were at that in between income where were low but not low enough to be entitled to anything!

Is it cotton rather than nylon/wetsuit material? I've heard the cotton type are best for sensitive skin.

It's actually a polyester blend suit but it doesn't seem to cause him problems. We did have a nylon/spandex suit that was fine, but once it got wet he would start itching. xx

:hugs: Billy2mm I do sympathise, we do work but were at that in between income where were low but not low enough to be entitled to anything!

im no income support and im not entitled to any help at all!! royally sucks esp as now it seems im going to have to declare bankcrupt thanks to my lovely ex-hubby/fob!!

It's definitely more expensive to buy lots fresh fruit and veg etc, even without the extra cost of 'special' foods.

Are you a member of any cealiac etc forums? They're bound to have some tried and tested recipes for bread etc. Maybe pick up a bread machine from freecycle if you've got an active group near you?

I make my own bread, my LO cannot have dairy or soya (via my milk), my second youngest cannot have dairy, and I cannot have soya either as it gives me stomach pains and bloating. It is really quite simple and I always reduce the salt to about a teaspoon for 3 or 4 loaves. I have thought about getting a breadmaker but I'm one of those who finds it easier/quicker/less messy to do stuff by hand. I generally use the cookbooks by mennonite central committee (these are a group similar to the Amish well known for their simple living and cookery), they are foolproof and have been thoroughly tested before publication. I don't have experience of making gluten free breads though, sadly.

P.S. I just made a dairy free lasagne containing no cheese substitutes; and it tastes really authentic, I made it 'by ear' so will have to think up what I actually put in it.

Im feeling abit better today, recieved some recipe books from the diatician with some leaflets that if you fill in different companies send you lots of free samples of gluten free food

Hi ladies, just a silly question really, how did you know your child was allergic to cows milk? and is cows milk what they use in formula? :dohh: sorry for being so clueless i honestly don't know.. I think my LO might be allergic to her formula but she doesn't really have any drastic symptoms so i may be wrong.

I'll cut it short as i am useless at explaining things but do symptoms take their time or do they come straight away? When she was a month old she developed a major red bumpy rash all over her face, her ears swelled up and the rash spread all the way down her chest and it later developed into eczema (which has cleared up now she just gets the odd patch of dry skin) We took her to the doctors and they just said it was eczema and gave me steroid cream and diprobase. Anyway the rash went and she's been fine up until now. But i'm thinking maybe that could have signalled something was wrong, or wouldn't it have cleared up if she was allergic to her formula?? :wacko: her stomach gets swollen after drinking her milk and she used to have bad problems with wind she used to be trumping all the time and screamed when she was doing it.

Do they have problems with their poop when they're allergic to things, her nappies are quite watery and they've turned dark green slimy and mucousy and they stink over the past couple of weeks and she is point blank refusing her milk. I'm going to ask my HV but she's become extremely fussy like she was when she was newborn and will only drink half the bottle before screaming and crying until i give her her dummy ( again this may only be teething ) i just thought i'd ask you rather than embarrass myself at the doctors if you don't think it sounds like an allergy, it probably isn't but jst thought i would ask thanks!

Edit: she's gaining weight just fine i think, we've only had her weighed after the midwives came about 3 times and she was 7lb6 born, 11lb at 6 weeks and 17lb6 now.. they lose weight if they have an allergy don't they?

Connor never lost weight, he just either didnt gain or gained really slowly. Im not sure on the ecezma as connor only has 2 tiny patches on his arms but connors symptoms were really bad runs, being sick all the time, refusing his bottles and screaming in pain. Connor has a cows milk protein allergy so had to be put on a perscription milk. Im not 100% but i think formula just has cows milk protein in not actual cows milk but as i said im not 100%. im sure one of the others will be able to tell you and im sure when AG comes along she'll be able to help with the eczema

:hi: moondrops

They dont always loose weight with an allergy, Alex has always been a good gainer even on formula (yes it does have cows milk the common ones).

Alex jsut had constant eczema that wouldnt clear and would get weepy and nasty looking. It was when we said we'd noticed a reaction to some cheese that the doctor referred us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->