March Mummy's - waste time with me

Just have a little chat with the baby, I'm sure he'll cooperate ;)

12 weeks paid leave.... I can't even imagine. I consider us lucky by US standards that DH can take a week or two off unpaid when the baby comes.

US standard is 12 weeks unpaid.

Don't have time right now to finish reading all the posts, but between sick leave and personal time, I have almost 3 weeks (took a couple days already) that will be paid. I also am due right before spring break (work at a virtual school), which is also paid and doesn't count against any leave. On top of that, I can take up to 12 weeks un-paid leave. I can't afford that much un-paid leave. I'll be taking 2 months off and returning to work in June. My duties in June are much fewer and I won't be teaching. I then have July off for summer break... which is paid. So not too bad on my end, but nothing like the 50 weeks paid maternity leave some people get! The US is so bad in terms of maternity leave...

I'm surprised that Obama hasn't jumped on that train politically. That would be a great winning point in a political platform!

It's so sad how you don't get much leave! I just can't imagine... I've been complaining because I have to go back to university in August - after reading your posts I feel very lucky :nope: It's not fair on you as parents or your child how the only people that benefit are the people at the top!

So i had a look at our countries paid maternity leave.

Previously you were just given $5000 everytime you had a kid now they just give out paid maternity leave if you have a baby but only if you have a job previous to having the baby. so the jobless mums miss out now (like me), which is fair enough really or i think we get a reduced payment of $2000

So our paid maternity leave scheme is 18weeks paid leave if you worked for at least 10 months out of the 13 preceeding the birth and the minimum number of hours to qualify is just 7.6hrs per week for those 10 months. So tonnes of people would qualify. Also includes self employed or contractors.

The rate is as follows Parental Leave Pay is currently $641.05 per week before tax for a maximum of 18 weeks. This is the hourly rate of the National Minimum Wage x 7.6 (hours in a standard working day) x 5 (days in a standard working week). Parental Leave Pay is a taxable payment that can be paid by your employer or by us (the government) directly.

But the reason my hubby must use his paid annual leave when we have the baby and not use the paid parental leave scheme is because only 1 parent can use it and that parent has to be the primary care giver to the baby. Obviously that would be me with breastfeeding and what not so hubby can't claim it. He wouldn't take 18weeks off anyway, wouldn't know what to do with himself

wow.. that is awesome compared to what we get here in the US.

I just had my shower last weekend and got everything basically washed, cleaned put away and ready for her and now I have 2 months of just sitting and waiting! boo...

Anyone have ideas on what to do now?

Oh i did my clothes last week!!! It was such a therapeutic experience. I need to pack my hospital bag. The kids emptied it onto the loungeroom floor because they wanted to fill it with toys :-/

Do you have a sewing machine?

Do you have anything that requires being assembled like a baby swing? I was tempted to get ours out last wekeend and assemble it.

Everything is assembled. Her bag is packed and I can't really pack mine until it gets closer.

Sleep doesn't happen for me. I try but its really uncomfortable and I just can't sleep.

The pregnancy insomnia and back pain is horrific, im getting no sleep either.

I called my mum and she's coming to stay the week before I'm due and the week after. After my daughter and son i was very strict on visitors and honestly didn't need the help. But this time with 2 toddlers I'm dying and can't wait for my mummy to get here. Lol

I just had an appointment with my midwife. My iron levels were good, but my blood glucose levels were borderline. I'm not going for the 3 hour test though. I'm just going to keep up with exercise and be careful about carbs and sweets. I'm measuring right on target and the baby feels like it's the right size. My weight gain is also good. Apparently I'm one of the few patients who didn't gain a ton over Christmas! I probably ate more cookies than I should have, but I didn't go crazy. We also talked a little about the delivery and some of the procedures that are standard and what my wishes are for them. Overall, it was a good visit. Oh, almost forgot to mention that the baby's heartbeat was 130. I think it was 150 last time?

yeah this is our first and also the first grand and what not so I'm so worried about how many people are going to try to come over and visit.

I know i'll be extremely tired, wore out and a hot mess while at the hospital, but I honestly rather have all the visitors then because they wont be as tempted to stay as long and it lets them get their "seeing us and a new baby" out the way. That way when I get home my DH and I can get used to becoming a family and settled and plus we have two dogs that will also need adjusting to the baby and with people in and out of our house 1. the dogs would just go crazy with excitement constantly and 2. wouldn't get their chance to adjust and (crazy as it sounds) bond with her

plus DH is only taking a week off and I'm only taking hopefully 2 (can't afford more than 2) and I want to spend as much time as possible with just us. Then after I have to go back to work she'll be going to work with me.

I've been telling people this so hopefully they get the point and will just visit while were in the hospital!

I feel exactly the same way, down to the two dogs. I'd really prefer most people visit in the hospital because they don't stay long and won't freak the dogs out.

You just need to announce what your visitation rules are.

When my son was born so many relatives told me they're coming to visit. I would say "no sorry I'm not accepting visitors for another 2 weeks" in the end the best idea was putting it on facebook, just a wide general outline of what visitors could and couldnt do. Of course you'll always get those ******* visitors who ignore you. Like my in-laws who i told i want absolutely no visitors while my son is in hospital (he was prem) only to have them ring a week later saying they have booked their flights anyway because they "don't mind he's still in hospital" as if that was my reason for telling them not to come. Fucking wankers. My own heavenly parents waited 8 weeks to meet him.

Just say something like
"Hey anyone who wants to meet baby, we're having visitors at the hospital and then not again until week 3, we both have a short amount of time off work and need to have some time alone as a family"

I don't really have to tell many people because all my family are interstate. But generally the rule this time is if you're flying in immediately after the birth its an overnight stay across the road at the hotel. Of you're flying in a month later you can stay for as long as you want with us. But generally everyone is running flight times by me before booking so I've been able to spread them into easier and more manageable time frames and not have them crossing over. My mother is the exception to the rule. She's here to get my house in order before the baby arrives, i know if i want her gone quickly post birth she would leave in an instant. But I'd really love to be able to dedicate my time to the newborn and have some real one on one bonding without having to constantly answer my other kids, this is where my mummy comes in :)

Just say something like
"Hey anyone who wants to meet baby, we're having visitors at the hospital and then not again until week 3, we both have a short amount of time off work and need to have some time alone as a family

This is a good idea, I might try this!

Anyone else's OH's pissing them off?! Ugh lazy. His idea of doing the dishes is filling the sink up and leaving the dishes in the sink. He will then come to me like 'oh, all the dishes have been done'. No they frigging have not! :brat:

well I'm not that crafty but I do try sometimes! I sewed this car seat canopy and arm pad all by myself today! Its a little bigger than it should be and definitely not perfect, but it looks pretty good and I'm proud of it :)

Attachments

• 10157357_10152979169974354_9048001143827295038_n.jpg
    10157357_10152979169974354_9048001143827295038_n.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 10922528_10152979170509354_4879212187842475367_n.jpg
    10922528_10152979170509354_4879212187842475367_n.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 6
Looks great! I love that fabric.

Rhio, that sounds so frustrating! If you're going to be lazy, at least admit it!

My shower is tomorrow, very exciting!

have fun at your shower! mine was last Sunday! It makes things real!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->