Maybe a good thing I haven't conceived. Need to vent. Thoughts are welcome.

MamaBunny2

Reaction score
*WARNING* This is a long story but an issue that keeps resurfacing.

My partner and I have been trying to conceive for the past 6+ months. When he finally moved into my house with me 5 months ago he insisted that he bring his 5 y/o pitbull/mastiff dog. Let me mention that I have 3 chihuahuas, all 8 y/o, and one being my late father's. I had already tried having his dog over two separate periods of time. This dog walked while urinating on the floors. Urinated on my dining table. Urinated twice along the side of my son's bed. Urinated on my couch. Defecated in his open link metal crate twice, which resulted in dog crap smashed on the floor and on the wall. So needless to say, his dog ended up back at his house. When I would visit him at his house, the dog would always jump up on me, sometimes scratching me. He had free roam of the house and was allowed on the furniture and the bed. One time my bf and I were getting frisky, the dog actually got on the bed and that ended my passion right there. The house was covered in dog hair and smelled bad because he would not clean regularly (or at all it seemed) and his dog had urinated and defecated in the carpeted house. When I would stay over, he would let the dog in bed which was awkward and uncomfortable due to it's size (eventually he began crating it at night). His dog had even urinated on his mattress on two separate occasions. He was constantly at my bf's feet and wouldn't lay still unless he had a bone or something to occupy him. When he would lay his head/jaw on the bed or sniff at something up close, it results in slimy drool left behind. When he drinks water he drips it all over the floor. I refused to let that happen in my home and wanted nothing more than that dog to not move in. After a lot of arguing and compromising, we agreed that the dog could come as long as my bf built a partition wall in the back room of my house because I did not want it free roaming. He was to have his dog neutered and he said he would take the time to train it or take it to obedience classes. He also bought a solid plastic kennel to replace the open metal wire crate so if the dog happens to defecate while locked inside then it won't get on the floor or walls and can be sprayed out and cleaned easier. My dogs were expected to stay in the new area with his. My little chihuahuas with his big pitbull mix made me nervous.

The partition wall was built, the kennel bought and a larger dog door was installed that led into the fenced in backyard. Then the dog was brought over. As soon as my bf took him into the new "dog area" he urinated on the floor. Other than that, things seemed to be going rather well. All of the dogs got along and the slobber, hair and mess was contained to one area. Then one day the cops were called because his dog was charging at the fence at our neighbor who was mowing the lawn. This dog would charge straight to the fence at the neighbor while barking, jumping and carrying on. It could nearly clear the fence and of course our neighbor was scared and concerned. So now every time our neighbors want to step foot in their backyard they call us and ask that the "large dog" be put inside. His dog has somehow gotten out of my backyard before so I wouldn't put it past him to jump the fence. His dog also pushed open the gate on one side of the yard and was roaming in the front and my late father's dog ended up wandering out. I had no idea until a neighbor from across the street notified us. I would be heartbroken if something had happened to my dad's dog. I have been the one to clean the dog area and have done so numerous times. My bf has not, at all. I have even bathed his dog and cleaned the kennel and mat. My dogs have gotten so smelly and I'm so glad they're super easy to bathe. His dog and the kennel smells like dirty dog and makes that area of the house smell. The amount of hair his dog sheds is ridiculous. I move my dogs' kennel and there's a very small amount of hair barely visible against the baseboard. I move his dog's kennel and can see SO much hair. Then when I sweep there's even more hair, sometimes it's like tumbleweeds of dog hair back there. Thank goodness that isn't in the rest of the house! And shortly after arriving, his dog managed to jump the partition wall and door that was built so that became a regular thing. The dog will just jump the wall to get into the rest of the house. We had to stack boxes and junk on the wall ledge and even had to block the door numerous different ways. I have set my large reptile tank and stand by the door and used my large dog gate but the dog jumped on that one time my bf came home after going back to work since being laid off and the gate broke in half. So then the tank was pulled against the door and pushed away when we needed to enter the area but even then his dog would push the door the wrong way nearly breaking it. I have tried letting his dog into the house with my dogs while we are on the main level (I own a split level home) and just sitting in the living room watching TV. His dog won't sit still unless he has a bone to chew. My bf only gets him little rawhide stubs and the dog goes through one in minutes so it doesn't keep him occupied. And there's nasty slobber on the blanket I lay down in order to protect my floor and carpet or his jaw gets all foamy with slobber once he's done chewing and then he wants to roam around and sniff things or lays his head on or even brushes his mouth across my furniture which potentially gets slobber on it all. I get so paranoid that the dog is going to wander and urinate or leave a slobber mess on something. My bf has walked his dog at least once, maybe twice, since they moved in. We live in a nice neighborhood with sidewalks and there's a park at the corner. I have told him he needs to exercise his dog.

Over the weekend I finally had enough. I felt bad that the dogs were stuck back there so I let them all in the house. I gave them all a rawhide stick and mine laid down and chewed away for awhile. His dog didn't have any so the few sticks I gave him didn't last long to keep him from wandering. Then he went and wiped slobber on my couch. I was trying to fix breakfast and had to keep checking on his dog so finally I put him back in the dog area. My bf was busy outside in the front and though I suggested it, he couldn't have his dog out there with him because it would chase people or wander off. I felt bad that my little dogs have to be stuck back there and were all smelly so I bathed them and let them in the house all Saturday. They were SO good sometimes I forgot they were there because I had grown used to them being in the dog area. They have always been the type to just lay around and snuggle up with each other. I set their little beds out and they all cuddled up for most of the day. My bf was busy that day so nothing was really said until that night he mentioned I should put my dogs back in the dog area and it wasn't fair his dog couldn't be out. I had planned on putting my dogs in their kennel at night as I usually do so I did. Sunday morning I let my dogs out again because they did so well the day prior and I knew they would start smelling again being back there with his dog. My bf immediately noticed and made me put my dogs back with his and of course an argument ensued. Of course I had to pile everything up so his dog wouldn't jump and throughout the day he kept knocking over the piece of wooden door I leaned up against the dog area door and kept sliding his his huge kennel around the room, probably because I shut his kennel door so my dogs wouldn't lay in the smelly thing. Finally I had enough of his dog jumping up on the partition wall and door and also the crap piled up. Not to mention the fact that since his dog has moved in it's been extra work for me, not him. Also, the complete lack of discipline and obedience. I told my bf he needed to make the wall higher and of course I was met with attitude and another argument ensued. My bf said that he would choose his dog over me and would leave me to keep his dog around. That really stung because I haven't had contact with my mother in months because for some reason she refuses to come around as long as I'm with my bf. I chose to stand up for him over my own mother... and this guy will choose his dog over me? And he has yet to neuter and attempt to train his dog. Owning a large breed is more work and he doesn't seem to want to put in any effort. I tried explaining to him this is why I prefer small breeds, especially Chihuahuas because they are less mess and less work, plus aren't a threat to people for the most part. I can't imagine his dog ever coexisting with us in my home or any other home we are in. I refuse to live in filth and couldn't imagine trying to care for an infant while dealing with that. Does my bf think he will have time for a baby when he doesn't take the time to simply exercise his dog? He claims the dog is like his child so maybe it's better that we don't have a human one of our own. His mom and him claim it's a package deal, I suppose just as my kids and myself are a package deal... but I suppose if my kids would slobber, urinate and defecate on his things and he had to clean up after them all the time then he would feel differently! I don't see getting rid of my dogs as I do primarily all of the cleaning at home and that includes all of the dogs. If any of the dogs, his and mine) are there or not it won't affect him at all because I'M the one cleaning everything. The fact that he obviously can't commit to me as I have to him concerns me. Why am I trying to have a baby with this person, ya know? Maybe that's why it hasn't happened yet and I'm sure the stress doesn't help. I don't really care to get a bfp anymore, in fact, I'm considering going back on the BC pill.

I truly appreciate anyone that takes the time to read and share your thoughts.

First let me start with a males opinion, i read this to my bf and this is what he had to say "Leave him. He is being inconsiderate as eff... very inconsiderate.. he has to take into consideration what that breed of dog entails. I think its a low blow to say he would choose a dog over the potential mother of his child. The fact that she is doing 99% of clean up from what i read i don't think its fair he keeps the dog in that environment. he needs to quit being so juvenile about it. "

My opinion: wow... i want to start of by saying your situation doesnt seem to be the best, and it seems to be causing a ton of stress. If he was like this before he moved in (his house nasty smelly etc) and he didnt try to fix it while you are around, then i saw the fact that its happening at your house coming. In my opinion he seems to think that nothing is his problem, and he isnt going to change for anyone. I do not see him putting your feelings aside. Yes he did build something in the back room so his dog wont free roam, but thats very very very minimal compared to all the other problems around. Its been 5 months since this has been going on if not more.. I do not see bringing a new born into the home of a dog thats going to act this way and do those things. If you have to clean up after his own dog and he complains when you ask him to meet you in the middle etc, chances are you will be the one doing all the work with the child. He sounds as if he has a lot of growing up to do and doesnt need a child in the picture.

Yes he definitely has some growing to do... He is a great guy, every relationship has strife at times. But yes I feel very concerned that he would choose a dog over someone he is supposedly wanting to have a child and begin his family with? And yes, the breed does entail much more effort and right now I'm the one putting forth any effort. I don't think I should even mention the financial part of my stress... Lord. And Ginger, you're bf seems a bit different than mine. Like I said, my bf won't minimize his alcohol consumption nor cut back on his smoking for the sake of helping our chances to conceive :nope:

I should also add that he has started a new job because he is laid off from his previous job. Because it is a better opportunity financially, he is considering keeping the current job. He has to be to work before 4am M-F and works around 10 hour long days. So we don't have as much time together and it is a bit tiring for him but I'm proud he is making the effort and hopefully it will help us both out. But with that being said, he didn't make time to exercise the dog when he worked less hours... so why would he make the time now? And then wanting the obligation of a newborn on top of it? This situation isn't fair to me OR his dog.

I just told him that I wanted to get back on some form of BC. I told him yesterday was a huge eye opener and I just don't want to try right now. He is mad that I won't have his baby and hung up on me.

I dont think people are ever "financially stable" when it comes to having kids, unless you are crazy rich. I also wanted to point out (and i do not mean to offend or step on toes) but when you get pregnant, how will your family feel. To me family is a huge part of my life. I dated a guy once a long time ago who seemed really great at first but my mom did NOT like him, she saw something in him that made her very weary. I found out later how crappy of a father he was to his child and he beat up his ex girlfriend so needless to say i didn't stay. Moms sense things especially when it has to do with their kids. I would understand it being silly for her not to like him for maybe the dog but if there is a reason strong enough to hold off communication then there is something that she senses. But when we are "in love" we do stupid stuff. I do not know if you have a daughter, but picture yourself listening to your daughter grown up, wanting a family and dating a guy like your bf... what would you say to her after she told you all of this? Sometimes you have to take yourself out of the picture and view the situation from the outside in. I know its a lot easier said than done.

Wow holy crap well said :thumbup: Yes I definitely wouldn't want my daughter feeling like I do. I shouldn't be struggling either financially. I'm making the most I ever have and yet can't pay all of my bills. I would like to find some form of BC that won't mess up my cycles or that I can quickly recover from when and IF I ever TTC again. I'm so sad right now. I really wanted this for us and more so for him. It would be his first child and I just know he would be an excellent father, even if other things aren't that great he still is a very loving, attentive person. But I don't want to have a child and deal with this extra work and stress or for him to take his dog and walk out of my life :cry:

Oh wow, I'm sorry if this offends but he's being a jerk! How selfish of him to let you do all the work for his dog, and then be annoyed with you for having second thoughts about having a child, which is a lot more work (amazing and wonderful) but a full time job in itself!
If it were me, I would be considering the future of the relationship.

Only you allow what you feel you deserve. Dont settle... some people are great people but really crappy trying to either date or coexist with them. I dont know you personally but just from on here you seem like a great person trying to make the best you can for you, your children and for someone you love even if they dont always show it back. I think it would be best to hold off on TTC until you are 100% ready and 100% know that is what you want.

I have to agree with these other ladies. What's happening here is something is important to you (well several things: A clean home, a safe environment, etc.), and your partner has decided that what is important to him (his dog) is more important than what is important to you. This is you reaching out to him, and him ignoring the reach. Usually that's a pretty good indicator that some kind of disaster is impending. It's definitely important to resolve this issue the best that you can.

On the one hand, how would you feel if he told you to get rid of your dogs? I'm sure you'd feel defensive, threatened, and angry. He's a blockhead, and doesn't see that his lack of worth ethic toward his own animal is really the problem. So maybe you can help him see that the dog isn't the problem--it's his care of the dog. The dog is being a dog. Nothing wrong with that! But the owner is not properly caring for his animal, and in the process, you are suffering.

My best advice for you is to have an "I language" talk with him about this. "When I need to clean up after your dog, I feel valued less than your pet. That makes me feel small, and unloved, and unappreciated." When you say things like that, he might get a better picture of the problem, and you won't automatically put him on the defensive. Don't give him any ultimatums. Just try to give him some options for solving the problem, and see if he will follow through with something. He did build a wall, and change the crate, which tells me that he does actually value you. What he needs to do now is follow through with the rest of his promises.

I'm really sorry you are having to deal with all this! Honestly I'm not a dog person at all, so I'm seriously cringing at the idea of everything you're putting up with!

I'm really sorry this is happening to you. But I have to echo what you and others have said - if he can't even take good care of a dog, how will he take care of a baby?

I think you mentioned somewhere that you own the house? If so, you have every right to say no to the dog being there. If you say that, and he leaves and takes the dog with him...well you'll know exactly what would happen if your relationship was ever put to the test later down the line, that he will leave you for an easier situation or something that he wants.

But do beware that if you make him get rid of the dog and he does it and stays with you, you'll hear about it for the rest of forever.

There isn't really a good way to resolve this situation! However, I did get worried about him saying he got mad that 'you won't give him a baby.' Did he say those words? Because that's extremely selfish, and makes it sound like a baby is just a thing he wants, like a toy.

I guess the best advice I could give is to go back on birth control for now until you figure things out. Then figure out 100% without a doubt what you want the outcome to be before taking any action - whether it's staying with him, or forcing the dog out, which MAY force him out as well, and prepare for it before you start taking any action. And be prepared for the possibility of this going south.

Best of luck.

Thanks ladies. It's a tough spot for both of us. Because he has a habit to "agree" or "promise" to do things initially and never follow through, I don't feel wrong for not believing him when he assures me he will pick up after the dog, regularly exercise it, train it, neuter it, and put in the extra time and effort owning a large breed entails. Even something as relatively simple as bathing the dog - I gave it a bath once. It was a wet sloppy mess. Once he bathes the dog... who do you think is going to have to clean up the rest? :hi: I asked him what he has done for that dog in the 5 months it's been there that I hadn't already mentioned (build the wall, get the crate, walk the dog once or twice and feed it) and he didn't have anything else to add. And it will start out with him doing these things but it won't last and we're back to square one. It's been more a nuisance for everyone else in the home and our neighbors. I'm embarrassed that our neighbors have to call us just so they can step foot in their own backyard. It's sad. I can't live like this anymore, the added work and stress and disappointment. The dog staying there isn't an option for me. It is legally my home, full of primarily my belongings such as the furniture, and I do have a bit of OCD and like to have things clean and a certain way. Like I've said there is no way I can see my family coexisting with a large breed like that. If he bought a house and furnished it I wouldn't want the extra work to clean that either and I know he wouldn't and I refuse to live like that. I go above and beyond to help him and then in turn have high expectations that aren't met and become sad and depressed :cry: The dog isn't the only matter. Since he's moved in I have primarily been paying all the bills and buying groceries. He paid HIS bills but did not help regularly towards living expenses. He smokes and drinks so his extra money goes to that. This is something we have discussed a few times as well. I am now struggling to pay the bills and am so far in debt, do not have contact with my mother and it's the holidays so to say I'm feeling a bit down is an understatement! But he has this new job he decided to commit to and has been helping out more for the past few weeks so it's slowly getting better, however I notice his financial priorities are still somewhat an issue. And he is mad because I made the decision to stop TTC :dohh: He is ready to take his dog and leave for good. I have never felt bad for standing up for him to my mom and standing my ground, which resulted in not having her around or contact with her. I felt he did not deserve to be in that situation and treated like he was by her. I made the choice on my own to give up my own mother, another *human* being, for this person. His mom, dad and entire family are in his life, they are great and include me and I love them as well.:hugs: After hearing him say he would leave me for the dog, I now feel like a sick person, a horrible daughter that cut her mom out for what? I feel that if he got rid of the dog he would resent me and my dogs. I deal with my mom not being in my life and although it hurts sometimes, especially now, I love my bf and want a future and family with him so that trumps everything else, in my mind. The smartest thing I ca do is NOT bring a baby into this.

Ottergirl if he asked me to get rid of my dogs I would not be happy. When I was dating someone a few years ago, I left my chihuahuas with my mom because we got an apartment together. And the chihuahua I had before my current ones I left with my parents when I moved in with my son's birth father many years ago. I was able to have my dogs back if/when my situation changed. He can't find anyone like that to take his dog because no one wants to and I don't blame them so likely if he re-homed the dog, it would be permanent... which would make sense anyways seeing his desire to have a child, continue this job and plan a future with me. If all our dogs are there or it's just my dogs it doesn't make a difference to him because I have been primarily dealing with all the upkeep, feed his dog, left his dog out of the crate in the morning and back in before I leave for work, deal with the huge piles of crap in the backyard, the loud barking, the whining. It's only been more work and hassle for everyone. My dogs have a completely different temperment, are pretty well trained, do not scare the neighbors, are such low maintenance and literally no work and do not cause the mess that a large dog does. They do bark which is annoying at times with three of them, along with his dog's load deep bark. Not to mention, when all is said and done right now I own the home and any damages incurred from his dog or towards the neighbors is on ME. My bf has shown me he doesn't care what happens to my property, he will destroy something of mine and not be able to replace it. For example, a $750 cell phone :nope:

Mamabunny- sorry it took me a while to read this!

But wow! In my opinion he should be very thankful and appreciative to you for 1, allowing HIS dog to be at YOUR house, after at first you said no! And for 2, that YOU clean up after it, and have done everything possible to make the situation work!

I do understand being a packaged deal, my dog is my child! But if I knew she was a poorly behaved dog who was more stress than comfort and fun, maybe id consider asking a family member (his mom since she has his side) to take the dog in. That way he still has the dog as part of his life/family, but it isn't affecting your relationship! He needs to put forth the effort just as much, if not MORE! I kind of see it as "look, YOU came into MY house, with MY dogs and MY children, and IM the only one who gives a shit! Respect ME and MY house!"

It really is a shitty situation! And I think you are right, it's not a safe environment, mentally for you, and physically, to have an infant in! They are enough work!!

Keep me posted!

Even if you don't try, I feel like you and I bonded! I'd love to stay in touch!!

Aww thanks MH. Like I commented earlier, his mom won't take the dog nor will his dad. I'm not sure who would. Not many people want the added responsibility of a pet, let alone one that behaves like his. If he had a snake, frog, turtle, rabbit, hamster, fish or even a small dog like mine it wouldn't be such an inconvenience. I'm deathly allergic to cats but they are small and low maintenance so I could try allergy meds if that was the case. I have never had a large dog and although I gave it a try, it's just not something I can live with unfortunately. TTC should be stress free and fun, and my life is far from that right now :wacko: The stress is causing him and I to fight frequently, and the stressful atmosphere is affecting my kids and they should be #1 over anyone and anything! I feel like I failed. Why was I trying to have a child?!?! :dohh: :dohh: :dohh:

I would love to stay in touch with you as well! You and Ginger have become my BnB "besties"! I def don't want to fall off the face of BnB completely, even though it's hard knowing my situation and the choice I have to make because it :sad2:

Aw! Hang in there Hun! Be blessed with what you have now. And remember if you ever need an outsider point of view, I'm here and more than happy to help!!

What do you think will happen going forward? Like have you two talked about this anymore?

So today he insisted that he would rather get rid of his dog than lose his family and really wants it to work between us. I feel terrible and have felt so all day but I also feel a lot of negativity and stress on a daily basis with the dog being here. My bf did install a much taller partition wall and door that his dog wouldn't be able to jump and so we wouldn't have to stack junk all over to keep the dog contained. I'm 5'7" and the new wall comes up to my shoulder. It took a little over one day and the dog managed to somehow leap over the wall :growlmad: Not once, but twice. So much for that. Like I've said before, it's just not fair all around :nope: I do care about my bf very much and his feelings matter to me, however, I value my sanity, my home and especially my children. It's not the dog's fault. It was never treated or trained as an animal or pet but as a human equal so it doesn't know any better. It would take consistent, extensive, time consuming training and effort by not only my bf but the rest of us and even with that, a trained dog still doesn't keep my home clean and free of all his shedding and slobber. That's something that cant be changed and why I will never own a large dog. There are already things that my bf and I need to work on as a couple and I would like to know we are at a good place mentally and financially (and perhaps married) before we start TTC again. He found someone that is willing to take the dog as a temporary to permanent thing. If things didn't work out between us he could get his dog back so that makes me feel a little better. I think my bf realizes the stress it causes not only me, but in turn my children and puts strain on our relationship. He just doesn't have the time to commit to a pet like that and although it will be difficult for awhile I'm sure he will see the benefits of the decision, not only for our relationship but for the dog as well.

if it were me i would want to see him take responsibility for the dog before i was sure about him being able to take responsibility for a child. i dont think people should get rid of dogs if they are inconvenient but he isnt even doing what is right for the dog. the dog is displaying behaviour that shows he doesnt know where he belongs in the pack. poor mutt is very confused. he needs to get him to a trainer and get himself taking some action. imagine having all that to deal with and a newborn? no thanks. and i hate it when people say their animals are their babies. i have a dog, four cats, a giant bunny and a snake. all family but still animals. usually its people who dont have kids that say that or those whose kids have grown and left who cant handle not having them not at home. he would get a shock about how different he felt when a child was born but by the sounds of it hes also a mummys boy so would still dig his heels in. the dog is not the same as your kids. your kids are your children, humans who are much more important( and im a pretty militant veggie).
im also a mum who has had to bring up two kids alone after splitting with each of their dads. its not easy emotionally failing twice. so if you think there is any chance this could break you up consider very carefully if you want to be a mum with kids with different dads, none of whom live with you. I hope it works out ok.

Kitty yes that is true because if he can't commit to and care properly for his pet then how will it be with a child? He is very good to my kids but if we had OUR own I think it would really put things into perspective for him. He does not have any kids (why I was so passionate about TTC and giving him a child of his own) and of course I would want him to be a big part of our future child's life and, naturally, I would hope he would too. Because he was so upset with my decision to put a halt on TTC right now, I have explained to him that the dog situation (as well as his financial irresponsibility) concerns me because not only does a strong relationship need time and effort... but having a child, especially an infant, takes SO much time and energy. He said we would have 9 months to work with the dog before the baby was born but during that time I don't want his time consumed and him focused on trying to train his unruly dog, I want him to be attentive and focused on me and our pregnancy. It's not like you just sit around for the 9 months with your thumb up your butt! :haha: I feel like you just really don't know until you have kids of your own. I think, not only is he putting my best interest into his decision but also that of the dog and finding a better living arrangement for the dog is mature and responsible of him. He may have realized that it really is more than he is willing or able to take on. This isn't just about a big slobbery dog, it's also about an unruly high energy dog that has been treated as a human equal and to correct or try to change that behavior will take an extensive amount of time that my bf doesn't have and I'm pretty sure wouldn't he wouldn't commit to for long because of the high demand and he realizes that, as difficult as it is. My dogs are my responsibility. Even with three it's still SO much easier and cleaner and the fact that they are a totally different temperment makes them require very little attention and overall are just super low maintenance. They are content to just be in their little dog bed caves with the household action happening around them :thumbup: My bf has never taken the initiative to bathe MY dogs or pick up after them. He's never swept up and cleaned the dog area or the kennels, picked up his dog's poo or walked his dog without my request. I would have to ask or tell him to. One time, however, his dog must've urinated in the dog area and he DID clean it up... but instead of spraying and wiping up the spot, then perhaps sweeping up the dog hair... he used the steam mop to clean up the spot and then steamed over most of the dog area but it left huge clumps of wet, steamed dog hair all over the floor. So I cleaned the rest of that up :growlmad: When I have expressed annoyance with always cleaning the dog area and how much his dog sheds or the large piles of poo or the smell of his dog he still hadn't done anything. Not until it got to the point of me saying I've finally had enough and decided to stop TTC and that I can't live with this dog and the extra work it's causing me. Kitty I too am a single mom and both of my kids have different fathers and no it's def not easy! If I am going to have a child and a future with this man, I want to know that he will put myself and the kids first and foremost. That he will make sure our needs are met and take care of us, as I try to help and take care of him as best I can though lately I've been such a stressed out mess and I know it's effecting the relationship :wacko: I feel that although he may think of his pet as a child it is an animal just as my pets are and cannot be considered as an equal to human children :dohh: My bf has never ever told me to or even hinted at me distancing myself from my mother... that was a choice I made because I care about him very much and even though it is very difficult for me at times I felt the situation with her was not fair to him and he didn't deserve to deal with it. He feels badly and guilty over it, just as I do with the dog, but ultimately it was for the best and for everyone because it was adding tension and stress to our relationship.

I want to thank everyone so very much for all of your input and concern with this topic, as I know it really doesn't pertain to TTC or pregnancy. It has really helped me sort out my thoughts and feelings. I did try to make the dog situation work but it takes two and I hope that this will improve greatly over time :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

I am just now getting caught up on all the comments and what you had to say as well. I think the direction of holding off on TTC is a great idea. he says "we have 9 months to get things right" or something to that matter but to me those 9 months are going to be difficult and special to you all. You might not be able to do all these demands the later in pregnancy you get with the dogs and cleaning etc, you all might still be stressing and getting mad at each other which would be terrible for pregnancy and not to mention the flying hormones that will be coming. I think you all need a lot to work on if you truly want to be with him, but if he cant change then i think you need to find a different direction to go. my mom owns three chihuahuas and they are deff. low maintenance and very affectionate, I own a English bulldog that can be extremely hyper, sheds CRAZY, slobbery EVERYWHERE (we have a towel in every room for whenever he starts drooling and a thick towel under his water bowl when hes done getting water). I had my dog before i even met my bf but even before we started dating he took initiative and helped a lot with him because he saw how much my dog meant to me and he knew if he wanted a relationship with me it was also with the dog so we did team work. we both take him out, both bathe him, both feed/water and play etc.. its not one sided. we also split rent when he started staying over which eventually led to living. Im not saying 50/50 everything but if you are allowing him to live with you i hope he is splitting costs because that can make stress worse and resentment. Every relationship has its flaws but its how you all are able to meet in the middle with these flaws, or if its very minimal its how you just suck it up and get over it. However your issues aren't minimal and im so happy you asked for advice! I think you are a great person from what ive seen and talked to you on here and i consider you a bnb bestie also and do not want to lose contact. Update us, ask me questions or just rant/goof off with me whenever you want! im always here! I pray and FX that your situation gets better, or if it doesnt you have the strength to tell him "bye!" because you are worth/deserve more than that. I also hope there is a way to get back into contact with your mother... you might be okay with it now, but if something happens to her you will beat yourself up bad especially if you all dont make it.

Thank you so much Ginger :hugs: Yes, if I ever became pregnant again I want to enjoy every single stinkin' second of it and I would want him to be right there with me. Both of my previous pregnancies were super easy. If I could be pregnant all the time I would! :haha: Yes, the financial aspect of our situation isn't ideal either :nope: But like I have mentioned, since he was temporarily laid off from work he accepted a job making much more money and has decided to commit to it as it will be a huge benefit and he can without a doubt help me more with living expenses. I am willing to help him ensure his bills are paid in a timely manner and that he is helping with shared expenses as well :thumbup: I did send him a text today with an apology to him for portraying my feelings of resentment, stress and depression on him the way that I have been lately. I explained that my stress level is the highest ever and because I have had to do some of the things I have been doing the past 5 months - dealing with the dog, paying all the bills, extensively cleaning up after him, etc. - makes me feel taken for granted, used, unappreciated and bellitled... like I'm a doormat (as he recently said I treat him as) and he hasn't even had to verbally do anything to make me feel such a way. Actions speak louder than words ever could. And aside from those things, him taking this job will hopefully not only benefit HIM, but US, and I am willing to help him manage his financial priorities as well as ours that we share which benefits us BOTH :thumbup: If I had a bulldog it's be a French bulldog :winkwink: And I totally agree with you on the mom situation. I always hope she'll come around eventually because I'm so afraid something could happen to her at any moment. She is older (74 y/o) and had me as a "surprise" when she was 43! I was my dad's only child :awww: I'd hate for any chance of contact with her to be completely taken away forever on these terms :cry:

It sounds like the larger dog needs attention and socialization. Do either of you take him on walks and play with him? Dogs are like toddlers, they "act up" when they need attention. If your bf is unable to care for his dog (walks, playing) he doesn't need a human baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->