My Big Fat Geek Wedding!

Logan's Mum

....plus Eric : )
Reaction score
Finally I can start a journal in this section! :happydance:

My name is Lottie and have been with OH for over 6 years. We met at university on postgraduate degrees as housemates originally, and got together in the first week (what can I say, I move fast :rofl: ) We have 2 lovely boys, ages 4 and 2 months, and live in Newcastle.

We will wed in May 2015 in Harrogate.

Journal named as it is as me and OH are massive Sci-Fi fans, and I hope to incorporate it into the wedding some how...

Thanks for reading
:flower:

The Date
25th April 2015​

The Theme
Both me and OH are somewhat alternative in our tastes, I have a mohawk/mohican and we both love ska/punk music. We also love sci-fi, which will be in the wedding somehow! I know the Save The Date cards will have a picture of a nebula on the front (not saying which until the cards have been designed), and something similar for the main invites. At the same time I love the Victorian Gentleman look for OH, and having a dress a bit boudoir/corset and bustle. Kind of steampunk but not as it can look a bit cliché. I LOVE top hats :haha: Colours would be dark purple, dark green and I would love to have a silver dress (not grey as I want the thread to be metallic in parts rather than dull, if that makes sense)

The Ceremony Venue
images

https://www.photoshelter.com/img-get/I00001bvGIlDohwo/s/950/633/.jpg

The room can hold 55 seated, and hopefully will be booked on Monday when the office calls back:happydance: Its super cheap too, just under £250.

The Reception Venue
Still to be decided! I would love to be able to hire a pub in the Dales and have a coach take the guests there and back, but OH is not keen on a big distance between venues. Im hoping to have something that can hold 100 people, and have just an evening buffet. I would love to give out party bags as people leave as we will not have the favours since there is no seated meal. Childish but fun!

Ooooooooo stalkers! :happydance:

Ive updated the first post, once I book the venues I will write a list of stuff that needs doing. Feel a bit lost with regards to reception venue, wish I could just hire a pub! I dont want anything fancy, just a lovely room in the Dales with a bar that does real ale and enough room to dance. It feels daunting but I think if I focus on a particular venue type I can narrow it down.

Should really explain why we chose Harrogate and not Newcastle where we live :dohh: OH is from Harrogate and we have had a few lovely dirty weekends in the Dales for our anniversary each year :winkwink: Newcastle is awesome, but is not as beautiful as the Dales.

Harrogate is stunning! Amazing ceremony venue. Really excited to see how your wedding plans go.

Ah yes, Brunel knew how to dress:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/43/IKBrunelChains.jpg/220px-IKBrunelChains.jpg

I sooo wish I could influence what OH wears, he was quite adamant it was his decision, but Im sure he would appreciate my input :winkwink:

Well, today we are booking the ceremony venue! :happydance: Its a mere £10 to secure the room, bargain!

Im a bit uncertain on the date, I would love May but I really like Autumn and the colours of the trees and cold evenings. But I would have to wait even longer if I did that, plus Autumn recently has been over quickly, bad weather can get rid of all the pretty leaves and make it rubbish! :shrug: Hmmmmm.....

Oo exciting!

It is so hard choosing the time of year to set a date. Let us know what you go for. I too love autumn and don't know what will be going on weather-wise when j get married. I get married on September 6.

Oo exciting!

It is so hard choosing the time of year to set a date. Let us know what you go for. I too love autumn and don't know what will be going on weather-wise when j get married. I get married on September 6.

This year? I am going to a wedding on 7th September! Its down in Dorset so should be warm, reception is next to the beach so hoping its decent! :haha:

Oo exciting!

This year? I am going to a wedding on 7th September! Its down in Dorset so should be warm, reception is next to the beach so hoping its decent! :haha:

Yes, this year! Not long now!

We are in the North East and are getting married at Ripley Castle. It is only a small gathering though. His parents, my parents and a friend. Obviously our little boy :)

Oo exciting!

We are in the North East and are getting married at Ripley Castle. It is only a small gathering though. His parents, my parents and a friend. Obviously our little boy :)

That sounds lovely! I was considering Ripley Castle until I saw how cheap the registry office was :haha: Are you having a separate reception at a later date? I was considering having the ceremony in Harrogate and the reception in Newcastle a few weeks later, not sure why as it sounds like a daft idea splitting them now, especially in different towns :dohh:

Oo exciting!

That sounds lovely! I was considering Ripley Castle until I saw how cheap the registry office was :haha: Are you having a separate reception at a later date? I was considering having the ceremony in Harrogate and the reception in Newcastle a few weeks later, not sure why as it sounds like a daft idea splitting them now, especially in different towns :dohh:

We got the shock of our lives at the cost to get a registrar to the venue!

We are having a three course meal after for those of us that are there. We both have very disjointed families so we won't be having a reception. It isn't really 'our hung' either! Lol we didn't want to have one just because people expect you to.

I have still had the time of my life planning it. Still have favours and decorations and a dress befitting of a castle. Lol.

X

We've booked the ceremony venue, 2nd May 2015! :yipee:

I sooooo cant wait that long :rofl:

Yayy!!! Bet you are so excited!

I couldn't imagine having to wait that long. I have organised the whole thing in six months... Haha!

Did you go for the venue in your first post in the end? X

Wow your ceremony venue is stunning! Congratulations on booking the date! What kind of a venue are you thinking of for your reception? I think party bags are a great idea :)

I couldn't imagine having to wait that long. I have organised the whole thing in six months... Haha!

Yep, same venue in first post, secured for a tenner :haha:. Its a lovely room but other than that theres a patio for photos, a room the bride can wait in and thats it. Out the front theres a massive public common ground (really pretty), if the weather is nice hopefully we can have drinks there after. Might see if any of the family have a gazebo. Otherwise a pub for a pint after before the reception would be my ideal :rofl:

Wish it was in 6 months! Whats your dress like? x

Wow your ceremony venue is stunning! Congratulations on booking the date! What kind of a venue are you thinking of for your reception? I think party bags are a great idea :)

Thanks! Not sure why I booked that date considering it was a lot of notice. Think it was because I want to marry before I am 30 (which is July 2015). And I really like the number 5 and 2 :blush: Its also a Bank Holiday weekend which will be nice for those travelling up from far away if they wanted to stay in Harrogate after the wedding, just hope roads are not busy.

Reception venue I would love a pub function room for 100 people, in my dreams I reckon :coffee: Either way, on the outskirts of Harrogate, maybe in the Dales. x

Yep, same venue in first post, secured for a tenner :haha:. Its a lovely room but other than that theres a patio for photos, a room the bride can wait in and thats it. Out the front theres a massive public common ground (really pretty), if the weather is nice hopefully we can have drinks there after. Might see if any of the family have a gazebo. Otherwise a pub for a pint after before the reception would be my ideal :rofl:

Wish it was in 6 months! Whats your dress like? x

That's not bad for the venue at all! Lol. The garden sounds lovely. Can you have your piccies there too?

This is my dress and shoes :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 24

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member