My Christmas party tomorrow. Can I drink shandy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't risk it first tri myself. But did have a glass of bubbly at about the 28w mark with both my kids (xmas and my wedding) it made me feel like crap both times tho!

Might explain why they are both kids are a bit bonkers actually.. :rofl:

Dwl @ Dan o lololol I don't drink at all during pregnancy but that's just me.

I'm sure one glass is fine, doctors only report it being a problem if you drink to excess throughout pregnancy.
Before I knew I was pregnant I had a few too many nights out and the doctors told me not to worry, they also said I could have a glass of something now and then if I wanted too (I haven't, but if I'm still pregnant by Christmas I do plan on having a glass of bubbly).

I'm sure it will be fine, I'm planning to have a (very small) mulled wine at Christmas :)

Thanks girls. I'm 10+3. Wasn't planning on having loads just thought maybe 3 shandys would be ok? Lol xx

Thanks girls. I'm 10+3. Wasn't planning on having loads just thought maybe 3 shandys would be ok? Lol xx
That sounds a bit too much to me.

In first tri I really wouldn't have any. In third tri it'd be conceivable to have one I think.

3 shandys would be really too much and coming up to the recommended limits for a non pregnant woman.

God knows why you'd even put drinking alcohol over a baby. What's so important about alcohol? Just have a lemonade or something.

I didn't drink at all my pregnancy, but if I had done it definitely wouldn't have been in first tri. You're baby is developing more now than it ever will, I wouldn't do anything personally that could potentially harm that :shrug:

i wouldnt drink any amount of alcohol at any time during pregnancy. i would not risk harm to my baby in any way! doctor also said no alcohol consumption as no intake amount is considered safe during pregnancy.

I'd have one shandy at the most if I were trying to pretend I wasn't not drinking and probably wouldn't drink much of it. I had a white wine spritzer which was about 1/3 wine 2/3 Sprite at a work function on Friday, and kept topping it up with more Sprite, so people thought I was drinking as I had a wine glass in my hand most of the time!

I know the United States tends to have different views than other cultures on this. However, I would not drink at all during my whole pregnancy and even gave up drinking completely while we were trying.

3 is way too many. If you are in the UK look at the NHS guidance on alcohol.

You would probably find that much would make you feel really horrible anyway.

I personally don't drink at all in my pregnancies but wanted to point out if it's too much depends on how you make your shandy. In my family they've always made shandy with about two cm's of larger in a pint glass topped up with lemonade, that would make it around half a pint across the three shandy's. I know many people make it 50/50 though and therefore that would be a pint and a half of larger across three drinks.

Like I said I personally don't but we all do what we are comfortable with.

Consider non alcoholic champagne. Tastes the same.
Or Look up non alcoholic beverages. You can make any alcoholic drink without the alcohol. :flower:
Just keep in mind that the baby is going to ingest anything you do. I have no idea what shandys are but if you have three, so will baby.

I know the United States tends to have different views than other cultures on this. However, I would not drink at all during my whole pregnancy and even gave up drinking completely while we were trying.

I'm fairly certain it is not a cultural view on drinking alcohol but a personal. The majority of most cultures knows to stay clear of alcohol during pregnancy.

To OP:
There is no such thing as a "safe" amount of alcohol during any time of pregnancy. Fetal alcohol syndrome isn't something that can be accurately studied (surveyed only, really) so only a quack doctor would say one is completely safe. It is just unlikely to have a detrimental effect but it is better to be safe than sorry.

Last time I was pregnant and on these forums multiple people from the same cultures/countries repeatedly talked about the occasional drinks and even doctors saying to have an glass of wine every once in a while.

Eh I would never drink while pregnant...I'd just feel guilty and sad that I did in the first place and for the little bit of alcohol I'd get for that guilt, it simply isn't worth it.

Last time I was pregnant and on these forums multiple people from the same cultures/countries repeatedly talked about the occasional drinks and even doctors saying to have an glass of wine every once in a while.

I'm from the United States and I have heard very few women say they were planning on drinking during pregnancy and it is HIGHLY frowned upon, culturally speaking. Doctors will practice as they will but those who use evidence-based practice and not just want grandma did would never make such a suggestion. There are women who are willing to have a drink during pregnancy and then there are those who will not. No cultural bias.

I am in the United States as well. I was talking about some countries other than the U.S. I was saying that in it is 100% frowned upon... some other cultures not so much. I was not saying that the United States was a culture/country that embraced it. None of the women I have seen talk about drinking were from the United States.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back