My Christmas party tomorrow. Can I drink shandy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the risk of sounding like a prude I am surprised this question is even being asked. "Is it OK if I drink not one but three glasses of alcohol during the most crucial development period of my pregnancy?"

I am an Asian American, and culture aside I think it is common sense to try to avoid foods or beverages that would be detrimental to a growing fetus.

I was definitely surprised when it went from sampling a bit (which I still would not do) to having three. Admittedly, I have no clue what a shandy is or what is involved in making it.

I agree it's a personal thing rather than a cultural thing. I'm in the UK and never in RL have I seen an (obviously) pregnant woman drink, I've never known it in my family or social circles either.

I was definitely surprised when it went from sampling a bit (which I still would not do) to having three. Admittedly, I have no clue what a shandy is or what is involved in making it.

It's a larger/beer with lemonade. And it can be made to different strengths many people will make it 50/50 but some people make it with a tiny bit of larger. In my family three shandys would have half a pint between the three drinks but obviously higher ratio of larger would have more alcohol in it.

A traditional shandy (that would be made by a licensed establishment) is 50% lager, 50% lemonade. A half pint if said drink would equal about 0.6 units of alcohol and three would equate to approx 1.8units.

The NHS recommend women (NON-pregnant) consume no more than 2-3units in one day.

It's a larger/beer with lemonade. And it can be made to different strengths many people will make it 50/50 but some people make it with a tiny bit of larger. In my family three shandys would have half a pint between the three drinks but obviously higher ratio of larger would have more alcohol in it.
-_-

Yea order 3 virgin sandies so that they case bring u 3 glasses of lemonade. I don't drink anyway, but that amount can get you drunk I believe.

If you don't stand for something, u will fall for anything... please be wise about this. Because once u start feeling however u feel with 3 shanty's, u might want more. Not only that, u might want some on new yrs, and Valentine's and any other holiday that passes, even if its not something u celebrate.

Do ur best to avoid it. Also the people around u who might encourage it and not stop you

I agree I am surprised at amount. Bth once you know your pregnant y would even 1 drink be so important? What is the motive here. I find non alcoholic drinks just as yummy. And since I'm not disclosing my pregnancy yet on Tuesday at my office xmas party I just say I'm driving! Perfect excuse for nosey people.

With my 1st pregnancy, i never knew i was pregnant and got drunk, fully legless, most weekends during most of the 1st tri, stopped drinking when i found out,My son was born 9lb and healthy as a horse!

My granny drunk all the way though pregnancys, smoked to, and her biggest kid was just under 13lbs! she had 7 kids to!

Im not promoting drinking in pregnancy ofc im just saying maybe 3 shandys at a christmas event wouldnt be the worst thing in the world, 3 double vodkas and cokes might be something to worry about though.

I know im gonna get hate for this post because we are all a little sensitive atm and the rule book says " there is no safe limit on drinking in pregnancy"

What about long terms effects of the child? Developmental delays..more prone to becoming addicts when they get older?

Another point. There are babies born crack addicts and addicted d to all sorts of drugs because of a careless mother. There are Also mother's who are extremely cautious and healthy and have miscarriages. Ur are u and ur situation might not be the same for very mother who gets drunk every weekend. That's like a smoker whose been making for 50 yrs telling everyone that they don't have lung cancer and feel fine. :/ doesn't mean u follow that example and start smoking
With my 1st pregnancy, i never knew i was pregnant and got drunk, fully legless, most weekends during most of the 1st tri, stopped drinking when i found out,My son was born 9lb and healthy as a horse!

My granny drunk all the way though pregnancys, smoked to, and her biggest kid was just under 13lbs! she had 7 kids to!

Im not promoting drinking in pregnancy ofc im just saying maybe 3 shandys at a christmas event wouldnt be the worst thing in the world, 3 double vodkas and cokes might be something to worry about though.

I know im gonna get hate for this post because we are all a little sensitive atm and the rule book says " there is no safe limit on drinking in pregnancy"
excuse typos

Every pregnancy is different and if it was safe in one pregnancy doesn't mean it will be safe in another.

Personally I hate any kind of alcohol anyway. But I wouldn't risk anything in first tri, it is the most complex bit of pregnancy in regards to the developing systems of the fetus. Heck, I even gave up chocolate for the first 12 weeks because of the caffeine intake lol, I have small amounts now, it's my only treat, maybe I'm just over cautious but after my MC I do over think and it's only because I have my baby's best interests at heart, I couldn't even imagine drinking any alcohol while pregnant.

I have recently done a course on alcohol and fetal development and what surprised me was that i could be legless every weekend and not affect my baby and the person sitting beside me could have 2 drinks and her child would be born with fetal alcohol syndrome. I personally would not risk any amount of alcohol at any stage of pregnancy.

I had a few drinks in each of my pregnancies. The first time I was 6 weeks when I found out and had got drunk (but then threw up almost straight away) a few times.
I had a Buck's Fizz at Christmas and a dip to try of what my family were having (39 weeks)

Second time I had a white wine spritzer in the second tri,champagne at my birthday and a couple of drinks again at Christmas (37 weeks).

I know several people who have had a Guinness a day throughout their pregnancies, believing it's good for iron (you'd need 12 to equal the iron you get in one weetabix).

I would research the guidelines and make a decision based on that and what you're comfortable with.
I would have a shandy if I really, really fancied one but would stop at that I think.

New research has hinted it would be best to have none at all, but there are some studies showing the opposite.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/285953.php

https://www.foodworldnews.com/articles/9524/20141121/alcohol-during-pregnancy-safe-much.htm

https://www.localsyr.com/story/d/st...drink-some-alcoh/34001/ZZJsYWr7ukGbnJgFhmt4YQ

https://www.chieftain.com/mobile/msearch/3104103-123/alcohol-percent-risk-bypass

What about long terms effects of the child? Developmental delays..more prone to becoming addicts when they get older?

Another point. There are babies born crack addicts and addicted d to all sorts of drugs because of a careless mother. There are Also mother's who are extremely cautious and healthy and have miscarriages. Ur are u and ur situation might not be the same for very mother who gets drunk every weekend. That's like a smoker whose been making for 50 yrs telling everyone that they don't have lung cancer and feel fine. :/ doesn't mean u follow that example and start smoking

excuse typos

My sons now 9 and top of his class in reading, writing and maths, im not saying go ahead and drink till you pass out, im saying 3 shandys probably wont lead to much problems.

Ive had the healthy pregnancy that ended in miscarriage to, i stopped smoking, drinking, ate right and followed the rules to the letter and miscarried.

Whatever will be will be, yeah we probably should follow the rules, a mean if something had of went wrong with my sons id of felt the guilt for the rest of my life after all, even without knowing i was pregnant while drinking!

Im not saying i agree with pregnant women getting drunk, im saying imho 3 shadys wouldnt hurt, its my opinion, i have no medical backround i only have my previous history to go on so i shared it, i could very easily be wrong, i did see a woman in her 3rd trimester in a club one time, drunk and falling about, she was an embarrasment to women everywhere!

excuse typos

My sons now 9 and top of his class in reading, writing and maths, im not saying go ahead and drink till you pass out, im saying 3 shandys probably wont lead to much problems.

Ive had the healthy pregnancy that ended in miscarriage to, i stopped smoking, drinking, ate right and followed the rules to the letter and miscarried.

Whatever will be will be, yeah we probably should follow the rules, a mean if something had of went wrong with my sons id of felt the guilt for the rest of my life after all, even without knowing i was pregnant while drinking!

Im not saying i agree with pregnant women getting drunk, im saying imho 3 shadys wouldnt hurt, its my opinion, i have no medical backround i only have my previous history to go on so i shared it, i could very easily be wrong, i did see a woman in her 3rd trimester in a club one time, drunk and falling about, she was an embarrasment to women everywhere!
Watever u say. I all stand by what I said. U can't recommend someone to have a little bit of alcohol just because u think nothing turned out bad with your child. Like the lady above said. Someone glean get drunk multiple times and have a healthy baby and another drink a few times and have a baby with fetal alcohol syndrome. U don't know how ur body/baby will react so best to avoid

If I tried ecstasy and felt great, I'm not gonna be the dumb one to encourage it to someone else because guess Wat? Some people have died the very first tike trying it. We all respond differently.

Lastly u don't know if this woman has a problem with alcohol so m in her family or if she has any self Control that will lead to more than three. We don't know her life so it's not smart to suggest it.

I have had a glass of wine with a few of my pregnancies at the very end trying to promote labor! It didn't work :haha: I personally do nothing on the don't list in the first trimester. I remember with my first baby having dinner with another couple and their children. They were practically trying to force me to have a glass of wine. All the mother kept saying was how she drank during her pregnancies and it was fine. She had two out of three children with disabilities. :wacko: Not worth it in my opinion.

For me drinking is a no no when pregnant.
There are so many risk factors out of your control when pregnant but giving up alcohol etc is something we are in control of.
Why risk it.

Shandy is beer mixed with something non alcoholic right? I would have 1. I'll have an ounce of baileys on Christmas Eve. Many Drs say you can have a glass of wine here or there and it's fine. Do what you're comfortable with after doing some research.

Wow what's with all the haters? I literally had 2 shandys which consisted of. 3 quarter lemonade and the rest lager. Didn't realise I would be making a big issue about asking people for there personal opinions but didn't expect to read all of this. Anyhow it doesn't matter now. Wish I wouldn't of bothered asking. Nobody asked how I was planning on having my shandy therefore presumed like I'd be getting drunk when that was not the case at all.

Are you 38 weeks pregnant? I had a couple of small wines at the end of my second pregnancy, It was christmas and I enjoyed them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->