Myomectomy? Any one had one to remove a fibroid?

Hey everyone! I had my laproscopic myomectomy yesterday. Everything went well and i got home from the hospital earlier. I will update more later but i wanted to ask a quick question.

When did you pass gas and what did you do to help it? I haven't passed gas yet other than burping alot. I've taken a stool softener to help when a bm comes, but this gas pain is getting bad. Any help or ideas as to when i will pass?

hi teddy! glad to hear your surgery went well. sorry i can't answer your question but just wishing you well with your recovery x

Drink lots of water. Constipation is a normal side effect of the surgery and anesthesia used. Eat easy foods first. Stool softener is good also, don't strain when you do go, you don't want any fistulas :nope::nope: also try natural remedies...more fruit juice, etc... That's what I did.

Well I started this thread 6 months ago when I first discovered my fibroid. After the doctor thought surgery wasn't necessary - we moved forward with 3 IUI's. Just before starting IVF, the doctor decided the fibroid might be an issue and recommended surgery. We decided to move forward with IVF anyway because I'm almost 40 and really wanted to make sure there were eggs left at all and that they would fertilize!! While we did have eggs and they did fertilize, I do not believe the cycle worked (waiting on confirmation today).

So now I need to go back and read all of the stories on this thread to find out about this surgery and how every one has done. And hopefully hear some success stories!!

hockey, I want to give you some hope!! I go the all clear from my doctor on the 6th.. my cavity is completely clear. My periods are so much better and more manageable! And I haven'te been temping as I should, but the last time we had the HSG we got knocked up, so I am hoping for the same now.

So Rashaa - your officially TTC again? That's fantastic!!

When was your surgery? How long was the actual recovery time?

I am, I am ! This first month is a fluke lol..I haven't temped, or anything... but out to the blue on cd17, I did a opk, and got a +, and then the next two days, LH went down...do I must have hit a surge, and coupled with o pains ... I am 5 days outside of when I thought I normall ovulate...although the month I got preggers back in Sept, I did ovulate a few days off the mark as well..We'll see - will keep better records starting next month...

AS for surgical details: first procedure was in November (nov 17), did HSG in December (dec 14)..still had some fibroid; saw doctor for followup on Jan 5, she had a cancellation on jan 12, booked me for 2nd resection...due to timing of period and wanting to wait at least 4 weeks for repeat hsg, two cycles passed, and was seen on march 6th, and that is when she said the cavity was clear, and I could resume TTC. I continued folic acid, aspirin and materna throughout and that's it.. so from procedure to clearance...3 months and 3 weeks. Actual recovery from one resection was just a few weeks for me.....once all of it was out..I had spotting for a few days, period came within two weeks, and was normal.

in the first resection, I bled heavier and longer after the procedure..for two weeks I think..but my rationale there, is that the fibroid was not completely gone.

I have a better piece of mind, knowing that it's all gone now.....

So Rashaa - your officially TTC again? That's fantastic!!

When was your surgery? How long was the actual recovery time?

Congrats on the all clear! Sounds like a tough few months but will be worth it when you get that baby!

I am feeling much better today! I've never been so excited to pass gas! I am so glad I had this surgery done. Each day it feels better. If I didn't have these gas pains, it wouldn't be bad at all. The surgeon. Removed all my fibroids, 1 big one and 2 small ones. There was also a small one growing right next to one of my fallopian tubes, and he was able to shave it down so it shouldn't be a problem. He said I could start Ttc again in 3 months.

Teddybearpug - did you have the kind of surgery where they make small incisions in your stomach and go in robotically to remove the fibroids?

Teddybearpug - did you have the kind of surgery where they make small incisions in your stomach and go in robotically to remove the fibroids?

yeah, thats the kind i had. I have 5 incisions on my stomach. What kind are you planning on having?

hockey, i see that you have a journal but there isn't a link to it. I would love to follow your journey.

I see that you your ivf wasn't sucessful this round..i'm sorry :hugs:

Thank you. I believe that is the kind that I will have as well. I go next week for an appointment with my FS who will refer me to the surgeon. I'm hoping to get it scheduled as quickly as possible since there is such a long recovery time.

From what I've read of your process - it seems it went pretty smoothly (minus the gas). Is there a certain down period - like you need to rest for a certain number of days or can you go back to life as usual a couple days later?

But yes, just had a failed IVF cycle - which we knew was a risk with the fibroid but since I'm 39, I really wanted to give it a go. I'm hoping the fibroid is the reason that I've never had the BFP! Time to make the uterus a non-hostile environment and welcome those beans inside!

And I can't seem to figure out how to link the journal. My brain isn't functioning today!

Hockey I'm sorry to hear about your IvF cycle :-( I have lurking the IvF threads as I will be starting soon and I had seen a thread with u posting about it . It's great u have a positive forward-thinking attitude about it and are already planning the surgery to get u on your way again. I'd like to stalk u too so hope u can work out the link :)

Thanks Aleja! - when are you thinking of starting IVF? Have you had fibroids removed?

Any IVF questions you have, I'm happy to answer.

Thanks Aleja! - when are you thinking of starting IVF? Have you had fibroids removed?

Any IVF questions you have, I'm happy to answer.

thanks Hockey! I have my first ivf clinic appt next week but we already had all testing done so I am hopeful we can get going next cycle.
my DH was diagnosed with very low sperm count and low motility (not enough for IUI). we are heading for icsi hopefully in April/May. I am sure i will have plenty of questions soon so thanks for the offer:flower:

I have a 2.5cm fibroid in a location that doesn't affect the shape of my uterus. The latest FS said that in terms of fibroids its in a really ideal location. I was really worried about it and wanted it removed but 3 different FS have now seen it and said the same thing ...i guess i have to trust these science men to be right about that.

How was your first AF after the operation? Was it early, late, or on time? I think AF is fixing to be here today. I'm cramping/spotting and thinking this might be her. But it is a week early so i'm curious. Thanks!

So I was scheduled to have my myomectomy today and last week my doctors decided to make a switch and try something less invasive first. My MRI reflected a fibroid that was 0.6x0.7 cm. Super small but in a location that may be causing implantation problems. Based on the small size, he decided that it may be very difficult to get the fibroid out using the robotic technology.

So he switched the procedure to a Laporoscopy / Hysteroscopy with the option to switch to the full myomectomy if necessary. He felt through the Lap / Hyst that they could scrape out the fibroid without cutting into the uterus and thus reduce the healing time from 3-4 months to 1-2 months.

So had the surgery and success! They were able to scrape it out without any cuts to the uterus. They did this through an incision in my belly button and another small incision in the bikini line.

And while they were in there - they were able to see some endometriosis and scar tissue from an old appendix surgery on the outside of my uterus. He feels these issues could be contributing to why I could not conceive naturally. Since I'm already on the IVF path - they did not try to repair any of that damage.

So now I've gone from having to wait until August to TTC to June! Bring on IVF #2!!!

Just wanted to share this story for anyone else who might have a small fibroid they are dealing too!

So I was scheduled to have my myomectomy today and last week my doctors decided to make a switch and try something less invasive first. My MRI reflected a fibroid that was 0.6x0.7 cm. Super small but in a location that may be causing implantation problems. Based on the small size, he decided that it may be very difficult to get the fibroid out using the robotic technology.

So he switched the procedure to a Laporoscopy / Hysteroscopy with the option to switch to the full myomectomy if necessary. He felt through the Lap / Hyst that they could scrape out the fibroid without cutting into the uterus and thus reduce the healing time from 3-4 months to 1-2 months.

So had the surgery and success! They were able to scrape it out without any cuts to the uterus. They did this through an incision in my belly button and another small incision in the bikini line.

And while they were in there - they were able to see some endometriosis and scar tissue from an old appendix surgery on the outside of my uterus. He feels these issues could be contributing to why I could not conceive naturally. Since I'm already on the IVF path - they did not try to repair any of that damage.

So now I've gone from having to wait until August to TTC to June! Bring on IVF #2!!!

Just wanted to share this story for anyone else who might have a small fibroid they are dealing too!

wow, thats good news that they were able to use a less invasive approach! how is your recovery? i don't understand why they wouldn't just repair what they could with the endo for better chances naturally and in the future?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->