Next door neighbour gifts - what do you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marmaduke

Reaction score
We have given the same gift to our elderly neighbours on both on both sides for the past 3 years.
A poinsettia plant with a christmas box of biscuits. ( I usually wait for M&S to have them on offer)

Trying to think of something a little different this year, a food hamper maybe.
What sort of gifts do you give to your neighbours?

We only give to one side and it is usually a bottle of wine and a tin of shortbread both from m&s x

Hmm nothing :blush: I have only lived here 4yrs do you think it's time I gave something as I do get on really well with my Next door neighbour?!?

If so I need advice on what to give!! She is a widower in her early 70s!!:flower:

nothing! i have enough folk to buy for without neighbours

This will be our third christmas in this house & like you one side is an elderly lady, she can't get out much due to her age so I'll make her a hamper to make sure she has plenty in over christmas.
So far I have on my list
Jam
Soup
Bread loaf/teacakes (will add to my christmas delivery)
Biscuit tin
Box of celebrations
Rice pudding
Cakes
Milk
Teabags
Fruit
Cheese board from tesco.

I'm not sure what else, seems a little odd to give bread & milk as a christmas gift. x

We have a small street what all have kids apart from one retired couple. The retired couple buy all the kids a little something and he does all sorts of random jobs throughout the year, bring bins in, weed killing etc etc. So as a thank you last year we bought them a food basket, with stuff like shortbread, chocolates etc.
Not sure what to get them this year. Maybe a couple of bottles of wine and some chocolates.

This will be our third christmas in this house & like you one side is an elderly lady, she can't get out much due to her age so I'll make her a hamper to make sure she has plenty in over christmas.
So far I have on my list
Jam
Soup
Bread loaf/teacakes (will add to my christmas delivery)
Biscuit tin
Box of celebrations
Rice pudding
Cakes
Milk
Teabags
Fruit
Cheese board from tesco.

I'm not sure what else, seems a little odd to give bread & milk as a christmas gift. x

TBH I'm not sure that I would include the bread & milk she is bound to have them, the same as she gets them the rest of the year. She might feel a little patronised that you gave them in a present. I'd maybe pop in a small coffee jar, honey, some little individual Christmas puds.
Just my tuppensworth.
Think of the little luxuries she maybe struggles to buy.

Nothing this year as they are moving next week (just hope we get some decent neighbours when they go :-( )

We both have kids so I just buy her kids a little something and she buys mine, never more than £5 each child as she has 4!

My neighbour really spoils us and has no one else to buy for. She always spends alot on us. This year we have got her

Slippers
Crocs
Slipper socks
Friend cushion
biscuits
Calendar
Apron

We have great neighbours on either side and usually leave a bottle of wine and a card, and for the ones who have kids, we give them fancy cookies or chocolates - a small package in the $5 range.

We only moved here last year and didn't buy anything. We hardly speak to our neighbors, only say hello. But I think I might buy a little something this year. Maybe a tea/coffee gift set for one side (very elderly couple) and a bottle of nice wine for the other side (early 50's couple)

mine just get a card and
a hello in the hallway

:rofl:

really don't need to buy for the whole
block i have enough family to buy for
without adding 5 more to the list

:haha:

We just send cards. It's never occurred to me to give gifts!

We usually just give cards, I live next door to my old childminder now though and she brought me a lovely card and plant when we moved in so maybe get a nice tin of biscuits for them xx

We have one set of neighbors that is always giving the girls little gifts here and there. I'm thinking of getting them a bottle of wine or something this year as they always think of us. Otherwise I don't buy for neighbors really, we barely talk to any of the others.

I didn't exchange gifts at all with our old neighbours. We were friendly, but we did our own things, you know? Our nighbours at our current place have been so lovely - one always clears our sidewalk because he has a snowblower, the other has done us so many favours - it's sort of a thank you for being so nice more than anything! :)

barhumbug.. I like my neighbours just fine, but barrrhumbug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"