November Autumn Babies

Sorry to hear that wishn. What a bummer! I hope you are able to manage it without insulin and can continue to use the midwife. I may not be able to stay with a midwife either bc of my baby's size but I keep reminding myself that as long as baby comes out healthy, no matter the journey to get there, that is what matters the most.

Wishn, I hope you don’t need insulin and are able to manage with just diet and exercise. Interesting that you’re a healthy eater and you exercise regularly yet diagnosed with GD. I still have another week of monitoring my levels and I’m adjusting my diet based on the results that I’ve been getting. I eat a lot of carbs, since I don’t eat meat or eggs, and I think without that knowledge just looking at numbers I would certainly be diagnosed with GD or pre-diabetes. I never realized how certain foods affected me, but I’m learning and changing accordingly. Also, 9 lbs 8 oz...ouch!

Thanks Lar, you’re absolutely right, a healthy babe is all that matters!

Thanks Nogreater, it is super annoying to have GD even though I eat healthy and exercise! But as Ash said it’s not uncommon, it’s really the placenta’s fault! Hopefully it just means I won’t have to make drastic changes to control it. It must be tough to get enough protein to balance your carbs without eating meat or eggs, well it sure would be tough for me!

My DH was a C-section, his mom loves to remind me what a big baby he was! I have a theory that his mom had GD and didn’t know it, they didn’t routinely test for it in the late 70s. I wonder if GD can be passed from the father, since the dad contributes half the DNA that makes the placenta, which essentially causes GD. My grandma was diabetic and my dad is borderline pre-diabetes, so maybe I am just predisposed.

How is everyone doing?

I’m doing well with managing my gestational diabetes I think. I went ahead and got a blood glucose meter and have figured out what I can eat and stay in range. My first appt with the high risk pregnancy unit is tomorrow (yes, that’s 3 weeks since being diagnosed!). I’m hoping they’ll order a growth scan so we can have a rough idea of how big this baby is going to be. We had our baby shower this past weekend and it was really nice. We got lots of useful stuff and gift cards and everyone was so happy for us! I can’t believe we’re going to actually have a baby in less than two months! Now that the shower is done it’s go time to get the rest of the stuff we need and get organized. We would like to be ready before I’m 36 weeks, which falls on Thanksgiving weekend (October 8 in Canada).

Hi Wishn

I'm now on liquid iron supplements which I take on an empty stomach in the morning, but they still make me nauseous and its taken away my appetite which sucks. I've also been to see the mental health team today ad they are going to make a plan to deal with my birth trauma though there is a limit to what they can do at the moment as they don't want to affect my next birth so I may need more therapy afterwards. 31 weeks today :)

Happy 31 weeks kitty! That’s a bummer that the iron supplements aren’t agreeing with you. I guess you were really anemic to need those? I truly hope you have a better midwife and birth experience this time around. Sounds like they are taking you seriously and not brushing it off, so that’s something positive.

They offered me a blood transfusion after the birth of my eldest because of anaemia. I just wanted to go home so I declined! They gave me iron tablets which I didn’t like, so I didn’t bother. I couldn’t have been hugely anaemic since I was perfectly fine without them. Strange.

I didn’t go for the GTT. Instead I decided to buy a blood glucose monitoring kit and have been using this instead. Levels are within normal range, though I have seen my levels increase when I don’t drink as much, which I read is common.

Really stressed. Social services on my back because some idiot made a malicious complaint about us, going as far as to use my wanting a home birth against us. Of course they used my mental health, which seems standard and all too common amongst certain ‘professionals’.
Received a letter from social worker (who I complained about) saying she was satisfied with what other professionals have had to say about us, but instead of leaving it there she is demanding a visit to discuss the social lives of our children! I said it was highly inappropriate given I have made a complaint, so she handed it over to her friend (really, she’s a personal friend of hers) to deal with and instead of contacting us to let us know or ask us anything, she went immediately to our GP and asked to look through all our medical records, claiming I gave verbal permission when I didn’t. We have contacted a solicitor as a result. Really, really, REALLY not what I need weeks before I’m due to give birth.
As a result of this, I’m having panic attacks most days whereas before this I had managed to get control over my anxiety more and was having panic attacks perhaps a couple of times a month. Can’t sleep more then three or four hours at night. Can’t eat properly. I had almost halved my diazepam use, but then because of all this I increased it again because I wasn’t coping and it has taken me weeks to get back to dropping a third of my meds. This has set me back so much and it could be at the cost of the baby’s health if he arrives before I can reduce my dose to zero.

I hope everyone else is doing ok

Oh happy that sounds so incredibly stressful. I can’t believe they are treating you that way. I hope they back off so that you can concentrate on taking care of yourself, your baby and your family and bring your anxiety and stress level down. :hugs:

Hi everyone! Hope all is well.

Sorry to hear about the iron supplement, Kitty. I hope it gets better. I really hope the therapy works for you and you’re able to have the birth you’ve dreamed.

Wishn, how goes your glucose monitoring? According to my levels I too have GD. My midwife isn’t concerned. She said the numbers aren’t really high but she recommends I see the nutritionist for proper food (carb) combining since I don’t eat meat.

Happy, I hope things are getting better.

Nope. Later on after I posted that above I was shouted at by a managing social worker down the phone and accused of being a risk to our children and that she’s going to make it a child protection case.
Midwife later. Will ask if she can write some kind of supporting statement

What a nightmare, Happy! I sincerely hope your midwife is able to write a letter and support you. I can’t even imagine how you must be feeling, and to think you’re going through all of this while pregnant, ugh.

Happy that’s awful I’m so sorry. I hope your midwife and other professionals who know you well can back you up and support you if social services escalates things. Despite your anxiety, you seem like a wonderful, caring mother and a strong advocate for your kids and family. Keep fighting! But also take care of yourself and your babe. Is your DH able to speak to them next time they call or come around?

Nogreater, I’m sorry you ended up with GD too! I tried to follow the diabetes diet they gave me, but it was so much more starchy carbs than I usually eat it was giving me high levels (like over 8). So I’ve switched back to what I consider a healthier lower carb diet with more focus on veggies, proteins and healthy fats. It would be tricky if you don’t eat meat. Do you eat eggs and dairy? I’m only having one serving of grain/starch at each meal or snack, so to get enough calories and stay satisfied I’m adding things like avocado, olives, cheese, eggs, nuts, seeds, etc. I made an awesome granola that is about 50% oats and 50% seeds, nuts, hemp, chia, coconut etc.

I have a growth ultrasound next week. I’m excited about seeing our babe again! 20 weeks was a long time ago. Nervous to find out if baby is huge already due to the GD. People keep commenting on my bump, saying I’m going to have a “healthy strong” baby, which is perhaps a nice way to say I look huge!

Wishn, I had my GD management session and learned a lot! My midwives nor my nutritionist are concerned, however, we all agree that I need to learn how to manage my carb intake and increase my protein with each meal. I don’t eat eggs or dairy and am allergic to nuts among other things. But they were incredibly helpful and provided a lot of resources. I’m outlining a meal plan with total carbs and protein to help me stay within normal blood sugar range.

I too noticed that my body does well eating low carb. While it’s more challeging for me on a plant based diet, it’s certainly not impossible. I make a similar granola (minus the nuts)! Hemp seeds are my favorite, low in carbs and high in protein and iron.

Yay for another ultrasound! I hope baby is strong but within a “normal” weight range. Im sure you aren’t huge at all. Are you still teaching exercise classes?

Nogreater, that sounds challenging with your dietary restrictions, but I’m glad you have good support and a plan!

I am still teaching my classes, it’s getting tougher though! I have to do the low impact options, and some of the core work is no longer possible, so I just coach them through it. Haha one lady this week told me I was “amazing” and then another one asked me “how long are you planning to do this for?” Like as though she thought I should stop. I will call it quits at 36 weeks, so just 3 more weeks to go!

Are you still keeping up with your workouts?

Eating today wasn’t as big a challenge as I anticipated. I was able to purchase a lot of local produce so I’m looking forward to incorporating them into my meals this week. Although, I am a bit concerned that I may lose weight, which I don’t think is suppose to happen third trimester. Other than that, I’ve been following the guidelines and all of my levels have been on the lower side of normal which makes me happy.

Yes, I still workout! It’s a back and hip saver. I experience pain (mostly in the hips) if I don’t exercise. So I do HITT/weights 3-4x a week and prenatal exercises at least 2 times. Last time I worked out 6 days a week until the day my water broke. I don’t see myself stopping any sooner this pregnancy unless I’m forced to do so. I have to agree with the lady who said you’re amazing. Working out while pregnant is no easy feat haha. My balance is definitely off but, as I’m sure you know, we make it work.

That’s great! Good for you. Movement is totally medicine for me, I get sad if I don’t exercise. I’ll stop teaching at 36 weeks, but I’ll keep working out as long as I’m physically able to! I’m a little nervous about the 6 weeks recovery from childbirth before I can start exercising again. I might lose my mind. Hopefully I’ll be able to get out at least for walks pretty soon after the baby is born.

What a nightmare, Happy! I sincerely hope your midwife is able to write a letter and support you. I can’t even imagine how you must be feeling, and to think you’re going through all of this while pregnant, ugh.

There are slightly more convenient times for this to happen :dohh:

Happy that’s awful I’m so sorry. I hope your midwife and other professionals who know you well can back you up and support you if social services escalates things. Despite your anxiety, you seem like a wonderful, caring mother and a strong advocate for your kids and family. Keep fighting! But also take care of yourself and your babe. Is your DH able to speak to them next time they call or come around?

Nogreater, I’m sorry you ended up with GD too! I tried to follow the diabetes diet they gave me, but it was so much more starchy carbs than I usually eat it was giving me high levels (like over 8). So I’ve switched back to what I consider a healthier lower carb diet with more focus on veggies, proteins and healthy fats. It would be tricky if you don’t eat meat. Do you eat eggs and dairy? I’m only having one serving of grain/starch at each meal or snack, so to get enough calories and stay satisfied I’m adding things like avocado, olives, cheese, eggs, nuts, seeds, etc. I made an awesome granola that is about 50% oats and 50% seeds, nuts, hemp, chia, coconut etc.

I have a growth ultrasound next week. I’m excited about seeing our babe again! 20 weeks was a long time ago. Nervous to find out if baby is huge already due to the GD. People keep commenting on my bump, saying I’m going to have a “healthy strong” baby, which is perhaps a nice way to say I look huge!

Midwife wasn’t hugely impressed to learn they were so aggressive and tried to use home birth as something to club me over the head with, or my anxiety. She said she told them my mental health was stable and has said she will side with us re home birth. She will be visiting us at home at about 36 weeks to go through everything home birth with us, so I will ask her if she wouldn’t mind writing a supporting statement to say she has seen us and the children at home, and seen the house itself and doesn’t see a problem.
We have our GP visiting today. Asked her to write to SS to tell them she didn’t have any concerns, but I see her point about wanting to have seen everyone at home first since we have only seen her at the surgery and not all on the same day, so she can’t really truthfully say that she doesn’t have concerns about a house she hasn’t seen and those of our children she hasn’t had to see in a while. I don’t mind this

Happy, I’m so glad you have the support of your midwife and she wants to wait to write an accurate letter. How are you feeling these days, emotionally and physically?

Wishn, my first was born during summer so it was easy to get out and walk. I’m hoping for a mild fall so I’ll be able to do the same after delivering. My physical therapist told me I can do transverse abdominis exercises starting after delivering to prevent/minimize ab separation like I had last time. I’ve been very conscious this pregnancy to reduce my weights and do pregnancy-safe core exercises with hopes that I won’t experience it this time around.

GP didn’t turn up, she couldn’t find our house :dohh:
In all honesty I feel completely deflated and miserable. I want to enjoy the weeks we have left of this pregnancy, providing of course the stress caused doesn’t cause premature labour, but I don’t feel like I can with this hanging over our heads and they have made me feel as if I don’t deserve to find any enjoyment in anything because they have made me out to be this awful person, someone who would neglect and abuse her children, which I know isn’t the reality but these things get into your head. That’s all I think about at the moment, my days consist of looking after and educating the children, and worry.
We were going to go to the ‘celebrating not going back to school’ with our local home education group on Thursday but my brother decided to tell me that day he had arranged for a delivery (children’s birthday presents) I had to wait in for and didn’t know what time it would arrive because it’s Amazon, then yesterday it would have been the same home education group’s regular Friday meet up for crafts and stuff, but I had to wait for our GP, whose home visit hours clashed completely with the group, so we didn’t get to do that.
Tomorrow we are meant to be checking out a more traditional church as opposed to the more modern one we attended. It’s fab, and the people are so friendly, but it’s extremely loud and non stop, the activities the children do enjoy but I find it hard to sit there because I find it a sensory nightmare. The other place is further from home and as far as I can gather more traditional, but it is a beautiful church and they don’t seem unfriendly towards children which is the main thing. I’m hoping they too will have activities for them, but perhaps in a slightly more calm environment.
Today it’s eldest son’s birthday, he’s 17 which makes me feel so old! We ordered him a mountain bike as he outgrew his previous one so he and my mother, who usually visits Saturdays, went to collect it earlier. We told him they were going bra shopping for me lol I just got a call from him to say thank you, he seems pleased so that’s good. I’m about to attempt a TARDIS birthday cake for him whilst they’re out, but I reckon I will screw it up. Should have just bought one instead but we shall see

Happy, I’m so sorry. There are no words. I truly hope everything works out and you’re able to enjoy the last weeks of your pregnancy.

Your son is 17! How exciting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->