PAL Summer 2011 Babies - From 1st tri to MC and back again in one go.

I just registered and looked at the list hardly any do???? That's silly but I guess they have to have the facilities to deal with it afterward. Ask your mw when you see her next. Least she can say for sure, wondering if there is any other scheme that take it :shrug:

I'll donate any part of my body once I'm gone. I think if I'm prepared to take (which I am) I must be prepared to give. Need to donate blood too myself once this little monkey in me is born.

She's been trying to push her way out today through my belly, even flipping over. Blooming well hurts it does but I've been playing guess the body part which I love :haha:

Not true at all Aaisrie. Sam's cord was cut immediately (then Simon got to neaten it up on the table) and there was a special lady there that took the placenta and cord away right away in sterile conditions. They put two clamps on and cut in between so no blood from the baby is transferred. It's like any other birth I promise. They couldn't/wouldn't risk mixing/taking 30% of your baby's blood that's a serious amount for anyone to lose let alone a baby. I went to a talk about it when pregnant with Sam and they stressed time and time again no harm or risk is to mother and child and having done it before I'll do it every time. She also came to see me and explain what happened again after the birth and even give me a card to thank me. I was so touched that she was so grateful for something that seems so obvious to do.

I'm 100% for it (you might have gathered that by now :blush:) and God forbid if Sam or his sister needed a bone marrow transplant or developed leukaemia I know I wouldn't think twice about taking someone else's if they were a match. I love the fact that Sam and myself could give a chance of life to another human being by just giving the blood (that would otherwise be thrown away) that came from the cord that gave him life in the first place.

Read this Sequeena and I hope your hospital near you does it :hug: https://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/cordblood/index.asp

Sorry Pip but I really have to disagree here. Check this out:

Some basic baby physiology, for context: During pregnancy, the baby’s blood circulates in a constant loop in and out of her body. It flows through the body, back into the cord to the placenta, then back through the cord into baby’s body. This pattern of circulation continues until shortly after the birth when the placenta separates from the inside of the uterus. By the time the placenta separates, virtually all the oxygen-rich blood in the placenta and cord (up to 40% of the baby’s total blood volume) has made its way back into the baby.

Taken from a blog by a MW https://erinmidwife.com/2011/05/30/omg-you-did-not-just-clamp-out-a-third-of-my-babys-blood-supply/

You can get more info on this FB group: https://www.facebook.com/delayedcordclamping

Also this article written by a MW who USED to collect cord blood you'll probably find particularly interesting. There are a few links in this article which make for excellent reading, including about cord blood and stem cells https://midwifethinking.com/2011/02/10/cord-blood-collection-confessions-of-a-vampire-midwife/

I do already give blood and have been a registered organ donor since I passed my driving test [when I was 17!] and have always said I'd give to anyone but after researching cord clamping and how it's done prematurely and the fact it only takes an average of 5min for your baby to have all THEIR blood back into their body! It belongs to them, not us... it's not our blood in the cord, it's theres. I do get what you're saying about leukemia etc but I think when you read some of the stats about the benefits of delayed cord clamping you'll see what I mean. Not trying to be a mean bitch of "I'm keeping my babies blood" LOL Just I didn't know about this when I had Saraya and have found it to be extremely interesting!! You know I would never tell someone their decision to do something is wrong, just want to make sure you know all the facts - I'd still love ya regardless honey <3

There was another link somewhere which gave a whole rake of benefits but I can't find the site!! I did find this by a Dr as well:

What if there were a simple, free, natural way to give your baby a bit better start on the first day of life:

Improving blood counts now
Reducing the chance of iron deficiency later
Improving oxygen levels in the brain
Reducing serious bacterial infections
Stabilizing blood sugar levels
Improving organ growth

A Natural Stem Cell Transplant

The extra blood the baby gets by what I call &#8220;normal&#8221; clamping isn&#8217;t just any blood &#8211; it&#8217;s once-in-a-lifetime, rich, umbilical cord blood, which is packed with an assortment of powerful stem cells. These stem cells are still migrating from the placenta into the baby at the birth moment.

Those who favor cord blood banking rush to clamp and cut the cord earlier, to prevent the valuable stem cells from going into the baby, so that instead they can whisk these stem cells away to be preserved in cold storage. This is better than just throwing the stem cells away.

I prefer going with the age-old natural process of letting these potent stem cells plant themselves in the baby as a last gift at birth, to grow within and carry out the purposes for which they were designed. Cutting edge science is just beginning to appreciate and understand the true value of this gift.
https://www.drgreene.com/blog/2011/03/29/cord-clamping-and-stem-cells

This site lists risks of early clamping [early clamping is anything that is BEFORE the cord stops pulsing on it's own: https://www.givingbirthnaturally.com/restricted-umbilical-cord-problems.html

[facepalm] how freakin' ******** am I that I didn't even see the post.... DUH!!

SORRY AND CONGRATS HEVA!! WHERE'S THE PICCIES!!!!

I am with eve on this one. I know banking may be helpful in the future but there may never be a "what if my baby needs stem cells" if they get it in the first place.

Can't wait for the pics heva!!

Hi all back home now after an awful experience in hospital the care was completely shite excuse language x pics are on my fb as I can't upload them on here from phone it's heather Birchall if u want to add me on there x

Hope everyone else ok x x

Added you heva, sorry about your shit stay at the hospital :(

Sorry to hear it was rubbish there Heva, glad you are home now. :hugs: I've added you too. xxx

We'll just have to disagree Aaisrie and Emmea as we can copy and paste points for both sides all day and get nowhere fast. If you google 'risks of donating cord blood' the first page at least say there is none but like with anything you can find arguments for and against anything if you look. It's all boils down really to a matter of opinion and theory if you think about it as we can only believe as much as the doctors/nurses/midwives tell us. I get the point about delayed cord clamping. To be honest though when Sam was born I was just glad it was all over and he was ok lol :haha:

Annnnnyway.......NO MORE WORK FOR ME :yipee: got very spoilt with cakes and presents and totally knackered after a lovely evening out. Now I want a week to myself then she is welcome to start coming lol.

Pip when you hadn't posted I was worried you were mad with me!!!! I totally respect ANYONE'S decision to make choices for their kids, it's only because I DIDN'T know about DCC before :] <3

Oh yay for maternity leave!!

Girls none of us could ever fall out :hugs:

I had to make a very big decision today. It's been a long time coming but only today did I have the courage to do it. I've completely cut out my niece and my sister from my life again. I cannot forgive or forget what they did to me in October and I need to protect Thomas and myself. My mother understands, and she will see Thomas but I will not be taking him to her house.

So glad it's done, but I can't help feeling guilty?? WTF, I'm not the one who told my niece I didn't care about her, or blamed her for my mothers illnesses and other horrible things.

I think I'm too soft for my own good.

Hey pip - I am so glad you had a lovely last day! I hope you can enjoy your final weeks now.

As for cord cutting etc - it is just one of those things that can be argued forever on both sides, as no one has researched it properly. Everyone is entitled to come down on either side of the fence. I think I feel so strongly because everything was robbed from me last time with my son being sick. No one stopped to read my birth plan at all.

I feel so awful today ladies. I have totally had enough of this torture now. I was up all night with a mix of bh and contractions but they never formed a pattern - they have just made me really really sore this morning. I feel like I have been beaten up:( I just font understand why when with Tom I was fine. Maybe this girl is a biggun!

I hope everyone else feels ok!

:hugs: Aaisrie. I spoke to my husband about the cutting and he remembers them putting Sam on me first then, cleaning him off then cutting the cord so it can't have been that quick, how long does it take to finish pulsing? I don't know maybe it's different practices depending where you are. They assured us at the time they only take the bit they throw away anyway which I trust. My hospital is one of the leading teaching and research hospitals so I guess they'd always advertise the good of it. Having said that my mw failed to give me the form this time and I'm having to chase it up myself :dohh:

Emma just shows how previous experience can shape how we feel, I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience I wish it was different for you. I love my hospital I can't fault them (apart from one mw who was on nights just after the birth but I realise now she's just plain stupid :dohh:). I think you and I are polar opposites when it comes to hospitals, after my experience of not being able to get Sam out (he's always had a big head) I would panic being at home. I had a Ventouse delivery in the end otherwise it was talk of a c section which I'm also petrified off as my Mum's friend had two, years ago mind, and the scar tissue has spread around her intestines and bowls and cause no end of problem now. Basically what I'm trying to say is we are shaped by our experiences, hope that makes sense :hug:

Sequeena hun you've had to do what you've had to do and it's because you care that you feel guilty it's only natural because you are the better person. They clearly don't feel guilty about their own convictions. You are doing the right thing :hug: :friends: :hugs:

Ohh better up date my signature now I see it's ONE DAY SINCE my maternity leave started :wohoo: :yipee:

So tired though woke up every hour last night for a pee *sigh*

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->