PG again with your 4th, 5th, or even 6th child?

Gorgeous scan pic Donna :)

Melissa - I know what you mean about the car seat, I was bummed when I realized our infant car seat expired, also in 2012. Now I'm worried about our convertible seats too, especially since those are typically more expensive, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it. We still have 2 in convertible seats and only one in a booster so far, so it'll be interesting. IMO, the carseat situation is a better reason to space kids out than diapers even ;)

Kellie - good luck with the glucose test; I'm also dreading it.

Good luck Kellie - I get my GTT at 28weeks usually (history of PCOS and familial history)

How do you know an expired date for car seats? is it on them somewhere? How can they expire? surely if they haven't been dropped or in an accident then they are safe? Sorry if I am being dense lol (I mean I would not be keen buying a second hand one not knowing the history but surely if it is the one I used last time and I know it has never been damaged)

xx

My understanding is that many of the newer materials they use in car seats these days break down over time, so the manufacturers would no longer guarentee their structural integrity. I know that washing the straps in the washing machine is typically frowned upon because it can weaken them, and that the Styrofoam (or what looks like Styrofoam to me) compacts and weakens over time too. I think of the expirations kind of like milk though - it is probably good for a bit past so not worth completely stressing over, but once you get far enough beyond better to just throw it out.

Typically car seats are 'good' for 5-7 years from the point of manufacture, so the infant seat I got for DD1 in 2007 expired *last* year in May, but we used it until DS was a year anyway (last September) and was going to transition to our convertible seat. Some have the expiration stamped into plastic on the back, and some just have a manufacturing date and you are supposed to look online to see if it is expired.

Hope that helps :)

Donna your babe is so very very cute!!

Kellie I did my glucose test this morning..... wow I always get a huge buzz by those. At least it didn't taste so bad this time.

Lovely scan photo donna... Thats so clear !! Love his/hers wee cute nose :)

Yeah i never knew till recently car seats expire... I bought a really expensive seat for son number 2... It was a great seat and i got around 5 years use out of it, it still looked brand new when i had to put it in the bin. I had watched a video online with a crash test dummy in an out of date car seat and the straps snapped and the dummy flew right out the seat. Although the seat i had looked perfect i just couldn't risk it and i wouldn't have gave it to charity incase it happened to anyone else !

Wow I never knew they about car seats!! That's good to no il have to buy a new car seat for this one as all mine are on boaster seats now apart from Jamie who uses a junior seat. I've never had a glucose test why do you have to have it? X

How do you know an expired date for car seats? is it on them somewhere? How can they expire? surely if they haven't been dropped or in an accident then they are safe? Sorry if I am being dense lol (I mean I would not be keen buying a second hand one not knowing the history but surely if it is the one I used last time and I know it has never been damaged)

xx
I literally just found out they can expire yesterday:wacko: someone mentioned checking the date on hers and I was thinking huh? what date? sure enough I looked mine up online and it says the manufacture date is on the side and expiration date is stamped on the bottom. we used it for our last 4 kids (starting in 2007, but manufacture date says 12/06) and it says not to use after 2012. if we did, it was barely into 2013, but I guess I need another. I thought the same as you, that if it had never been in a wreck it was fine :shrug: you would think someone having her 7th baby would know these things. we feel like we should do new on this since we don't know if a used one has been in an accident or not.

sacha- hope you passed your test! I feel kinda loopy for a while after drinking that junk

char- I wouldn't feel right about giving ours away either since its expired. we are gonna keep it since its part of a travel system and fits on a stroller. I figure we can just buy a new carseat by itself and keep the travel system for strolling around the zoo or park. since we aren't driving surely its safe to just push her around in.

Melissa - I know what you mean about the car seat, I was bummed when I realized our infant car seat expired, also in 2012. Now I'm worried about our convertible seats too, especially since those are typically more expensive, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it. We still have 2 in convertible seats and only one in a booster so far, so it'll be interesting. IMO, the carseat situation is a better reason to space kids out than diapers even ;)

Melissa- we have two in high back carseats and two in boosters. we also have extra ones. we will be checking all of those this weekend. im glad we have extra, but how stressful! I have the extra boosters from when I babysat my sisters kids and took them to school, and the extra high backs from my mom when my step sister grew out of hers. guess we will see which are still useable this weekend and go from there. I don't mind the carseat situation, but diapers don't bug me either lol. im weird :blush:

I honestly didn't know about the expiry date either on these. Though I don't have my last carseat. I gave it away after we were done with it and would not want it back cause I have no idea what the dates would be on it other than 2014 and that is too close for call for me. I bought one anyway with out even asking my brother if he still has it. You know I never even thought of the high backed ones.... I am scared now to go look. Seriously? Am I going to have to buy another one? This sucks LOL.

yeah well I know know about when I bought the one..... the other I may have had for A LOT longer..... I think that one was used when DS3 was small enough.

Glucose test is to check for blood sugar levels and see if you have gestational diabetes. There are several different versions, but almost all involve taking a 'fasting' blood sample, drinking a highly concentrated sugar concoction, and then taking another sample - sometimes an hour later, sometimes two hours later, and sometimes hourly for 3 hours.

My OB's practice typically does a 'simple' test, and if you fail or are borderline, they do a follow up more thorough test with a higher concentration of glucose and most blood draws. First test is a fasting draw, chug the drink, then re-draw an hour later. (Might be 2 hrs... its been a while). The more thorough test also has a fasting blood draw, chug an even more concentrated drink, and then re-draw an hour later, 2 hours later, and 3 hours later. I was borderline on my first, but passed the second with pregnancy #1; borderline on my first test with #2, but since I had passed previously with almost the same first time results, they considered that passing; and flat out failed with #3, both tests.

Hope that helps!

Normally I have done the fasting one, though this time I didn't have to. Not like I ate this big meal or anything before hand. I actually only had my coffee :haha: I was in a rush this morning. :dohh: I am hoping that it doesn't affect it....

Hey guys just a quick update...first thanks to all wishes in regards to my pain...I did go for an amazing massage and my muscles feel so relaxed which is good, although I came into work at like 3pm, so I am hoping its from the massage and not cuz I played hooky from work. Did I mention my itchies? OMG I am gonna go insane. Asked and show doc this morning he is like yea, from the pregnancy your skin is rashing. Great. Oh and from scratching I have torn my skin all along my lower back & the top of my butt (charming) he told me try aveeno oatmeal bath. I freaked out last night cuz my right palm was itching so bad, who am I to once again google it ( why why why do we do this to ourselves) and found out it could be a sign of bile in my liver, cholestasis due to pregnancy (something like that) well of course mr laid back doc was like ummm probably not but we will see. LOL greaaat. On a lighter note bp is down a lot, like 130 something over 81, I was thrilled with the lower number! ANNNNNNNND I really dont believe this but from my last appt at 17 weeks, to this one at 23 weeks (6 weeks yea?) I have gain a huge whopping ONE POUND!!!! YES thats right one measly pound! WTH! I eat like a pig...My gut is out like a meter! Crazy!

Oh Iesha that is absolutely wonderful news that your BP has come down that much! I can imagine how much stress is off of your shoulders. Yippee that your weight only went up 1 lbs!! I wish. I am super jealous!!

Awesome update Iesha! (except the itchies. . .I'm super rashy on my legs where I have my tattoos. Very weird!)

I don't have to fast this time for the glucose test, I know I had to the last time around. I'm not complaining, it's much worse when fasting IMO, the drink made me SO sick.

Iesha- yay for only 1 lb!!! I am sure I wont be getting that report :blush: im shoveling it in and huge this time. the itching sounds horrible, boo. hope you don't have that illness you looked up. I think I have heard about it, but don't know too much.

afm- our other seats are fine, yay! I have never had to fast for the glucose test. I think they only have us fast here if we fail the first one.

I have to fast for my glucose test -well did last time so presume the same this time :( It is horrid stuff to drink lol, and so boring sitting up in the CMU for ages lol -
Claire I get tested because I have a history of PCOS and this make me more susceptible to getting type 2 diabetes (pregnant or not) and with that goes the risk of getting gestational diabetes, also my dad is a type 2 diabetic too :)

Iesha -great news about your BP that is fab, and your tiny weight gain too -yay!! Hope the itchiness calms down and it is just normal pregnancy itches and not obstetric cholestasis :hugs::hugs:

AND I better go check my car seat expiry date lol -We didn't have a car when the first two were small, so didn't have car seats and after number three we got rid of all our baby stuff ( thought we were done lmao :haha:) and I still have the one from number 4 but hoping that one is okay as it was only bought in 2010 and we only used it for 15months. Makes me feel bad that I gave the first one away to charity and have no idea whether it was safe or not -surely they should not accept things that may not be safe :(

xxx

Thx girls, certainly happy about the bp, but the weight has me puzzled. Not complaining by any means but I literally am eating so much crap..I did get a giggle when the woman who weighed me was like wow you must have a really fast metabolism. For fat girls everywhere I silently smirked. First time those words were all together in a sentence directed at me LOL. I have become obsessive with my rash. I'm going Rambo on it. Shooting first ask questions later. Right now I'm in the car (hubby driving) and my back is soaking in an arsenal of coconut oil, teatree oil and a lil cortisone for an extra kick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->