Plus-Size Pregnancy

I'm not showing yet, but am feeling the bloat make my pants a little tight. I have to dress super professional for my job and can't find decent plus size maternity clothes. Last pregnancy I didn't need much because I barely showed and I was a smaller size, but I need to know where to go when the time comes. Any recommendations from you ladies?

Hi - I am a size 16 pre-pregnancy. I am actually still fitting in all of my clothes somehow. Probably because I had just lost 11 pounds before I realized i was pregnant and luckily had not gone out to get any new clothes yet. So that worked out well apparently. I've actually lost 4 pounds since becoming pregnant which I guess is ok since I am considered "obese" because of my height. I am only 5'2".

I went to Motherhood Maternity this past weekend to start looking for shirts and jeans. I was pretty depressed to find out I didn't fit into their petite XL size :( But I did manage to fit just fine into their petite 1x Size. Even with the petite, the pants were a little long on me but I guess I'll just have to hem them. Their size Large shirts fit just fine. I am a bit smaller on top I guess. Or maybe their petite sizes are just cut weird, who knows.

Afterwards I got the idea to stop into Lane Bryant and try on some of their shirts. I know their shirt styles there come down usually to my hip/leg joint and thought some of their shirts might work as maternity shirts. I actually did have some luck there! So since I am a card holder I will be back to them as well for the sales.

Also Motherhood Maternity sold something called belly band or belly belt - I forget. it's like a soft stretchy tube to use over your regular pre-maternity pants so you can unzip them and put this over the zipper just to make your regular pants last longer into your pregnancy. I loved the idea of that and it was only $16 or so.

So check out regular plus sized stores too ladies - try stuffing a sweater or something under the shirts you try on just to see if they might work with a bump or not. A lot actually will! And try out he belly band to help your own pants last longer.

As far as showing, I wouldn't say I am really showing at all yet. I can see a difference and a small rounded area down there but since I'm a little chunky anyone who didn't know would probably just assume it's chunk and not a baby heh. Oh well. With my first baby (which was 7+ years ago) it seems like i wasn't really showing until month 5 or so then I expanded FAST - and it all went straight out since I am so short. I envy you tall ladies with your cute basketball tummies!

Sew_Sweet- thanks so much for your response! I have been looking at those baby bands and wondered if they would really work. I just can't see how they disguise the fact that your pants are unbuttoned- but it sounds like we are almost the same size- so I'll definitely try it out!

My last pregnancy- I think I had one maternity shirt.. I never had the "bump".. Hoping that I lose weight with this pregnancy like I did the last time around..

Thanks again!

When I go all the time not a lot comes out, but I'm going all the time and probably producing close to equivalent. When I'm not going a lot, I pee more. I totally get how it sounds like a UTI, I would just hope that there'd be some other indication as well. We'll see. Nothing from my doctor yet. Usually when I have a UTI I have bloody urine (like, almost cranberry juice color). And, if I'm having kidney stone issues then I guess I have similar urination patterns, but it usually hurts. It just doesn't fall into any category in particular. LOL

I've had he unfortunate experience of having 2 UTI's already this pregnancy, and up until now I've never had one before:dohh: The only symptom I had both times was that I had to pee all the time but only a teensie bit came out and um.. TMI but.. my girl bits were tender lol

Update 11/11/11 ( oh i totally forgot about that date lol how cool! )
I had my first official ob appt since the whole botched ultrasound fiasco yesterday. Got my loverly blood drawn, and doc had a bit of trouble finding beans heartbeat on doppler.. though my OH and I heard it loud and clear for a sec before doc moved the wand.. He's 65 so me thinks he's growing hard of hearing lol
I am waiting for a call to schedule my NT scan next week at the 12 week mark ( i'm 11 weeks 2 days today 11/12) and doc said I'll have a level 3 ultrasound at 16 weeks because of my age. He doesn't like to do the cvs or the amnio unless he absolutely has to because there are still risks and he doesn't want to take them unless there is no other options. So I'm a little nervous I admit but I'm looking forward to hopefully actually being able to see this next scan as opposed to having to stare at my OH's face to see reactions lol:happydance:

I think your preggo brain is getting the best of you... it's October not November :) so 10/11/11 :)

LOL wow I knew I was lacking some sleep and stuff but this sure made me giggle :haha::haha:

HalfThyme - Of course I remember :D Yay for Soy babies! I hope the other girls from the thread all join us soon. How is everything going? Feeling pregnant? xoxo

I'm a uk size 18-20, I'm already looking majorly bloated and feeling crappy. I hate that nothing sounds or tastes good at the moment and despite how sick i am all of the time i'm still putting on weight. Anyone else feeling a little fed up with the sickness?

Sew_Sweet- thanks so much for your response! I have been looking at those baby bands and wondered if they would really work. I just can't see how they disguise the fact that your pants are unbuttoned- but it sounds like we are almost the same size- so I'll definitely try it out!

My last pregnancy- I think I had one maternity shirt.. I never had the "bump".. Hoping that I lose weight with this pregnancy like I did the last time around..

Thanks again!

Well you have to cover the entire zipper/button portion with the band. I think there is a photo on the back of the package to show you how. Then of course wear a shirt that is long enough cover that whole area. Luckily the maternity shirts now are more "friendly" to pre- and post-pregnant bodies so they don't LOOK like maternity shirts - they are just a bit longer.

Ooo, I wanna join! I'm 24 years old, 5'9", 267lbs, and a US16. Our baby is due May 30th, 2012. I've noticed recently that even though I've been losing weight with the morning sickness, I've also lost my hourglass shape and my clothes don't fit right anymore :(. Gonna have to buy maternity pants soon! :(

I too have been peeing like CRAZY, but it's like an entire bulging bladder full every single time, and right after I drink water? Forget about it. I have to pee every 10 minutes for half an hour, lol.

So glad to be here! :D

Ugh I was asked if I was pregnant today :( I said yes (I can't say no even if it's a perfect stranger, my sister says I'm crazy but I feel like if I say no I'm denying my baby, weird I know!) but I told them I was only around 12 weeks and they looked at me all crazy like "why do you look so pregnant???" I already have problems with my weight so it's just lovely when somebody points out how fat I am!!! I know I'm just being dramatic but I can't help it... I already feel weird when I'm with my husband because we don't look like we match. He's 5'9" and weighs about 165... He's built and has a 6 pack and is completely gorgeous and everything and when were walking around holding hands people look at us carzy... I know he loves me for me but I can't help but feel kinda awkward with him.. Even after 7 years of being together...

Thanks again!

Well you have to cover the entire zipper/button portion with the band. I think there is a photo on the back of the package to show you how. Then of course wear a shirt that is long enough cover that whole area. Luckily the maternity shirts now are more "friendly" to pre- and post-pregnant bodies so they don't LOOK like maternity shirts - they are just a bit longer.

I bought one of the Plus size belly bands from Motherhood and it does take a little getting used to is you are really short like me. I barely scrape 5'1 so I am folding it in half right now or it does extend all the way up to the bra line, and in the Florida heat that's too warm for now. But other then that it covers my undone pants super well and no one seems to notice I have it on. I've been wearing mine for almost 2 weeks now because none of my pants want to button anymore:wacko:
I did buy one pair of maternity pants from them but I havent started to wear them yet. Until after my 12 week scan I can't justify it to myself.. call it nerves.

Anywho welcome to all the new ladies :happydance::happydance::happydance:

Ugh I was asked if I was pregnant today :( I said yes (I can't say no even if it's a perfect stranger, my sister says I'm crazy but I feel like if I say no I'm denying my baby, weird I know!) but I told them I was only around 12 weeks and they looked at me all crazy like "why do you look so pregnant???" I already have problems with my weight so it's just lovely when somebody points out how fat I am!!! I know I'm just being dramatic but I can't help it... I already feel weird when I'm with my husband because we don't look like we match. He's 5'9" and weighs about 165... He's built and has a 6 pack and is completely gorgeous and everything and when were walking around holding hands people look at us carzy... I know he loves me for me but I can't help but feel kinda awkward with him.. Even after 7 years of being together...

You know I can totally relate. My OH and I couldn't be more physically different. He's 6' 160 with a 6 pack and wears a 29/30 in pants and rides his bike 30+ miles a day... and well I am 5'1/2 and 280. He thinks I'm beautiful the way I am and even after this long I look at him and wonder how he thinks that way. All the skinny women give him 2nd looks and he wont even glance. Now if he sees what he calls a " healthy" woman with a big behind and meat on her he will look. I guess one day when we are totally comfortable in our own skin we will see what they see.

Another really good place to buy professional looking maternity is at Sears! THey have a great selection!

You know I can totally relate. My OH and I couldn't be more physically different. He's 6' 160 with a 6 pack and wears a 29/30 in pants and rides his bike 30+ miles a day... and well I am 5'1/2 and 280. He thinks I'm beautiful the way I am and even after this long I look at him and wonder how he thinks that way. All the skinny women give him 2nd looks and he wont even glance. Now if he sees what he calls a " healthy" woman with a big behind and meat on her he will look. I guess one day when we are totally comfortable in our own skin we will see what they see.

I hope so... He tells me I'm crazy (while hugging and kissing me :) ) when I tell him how I feel but I do know that no matter what he loves me and it's just me being insecure and has nothing to do with him. He is so amazing to me and I am so lucky to have him... Idk. :cloud9:

And he's so excited about the baby!!!

HalfThyme - Of course I remember :D Yay for Soy babies! I hope the other girls from the thread all join us soon. How is everything going? Feeling pregnant? xoxo

I still can't believe how many soy BFPs there were....I guess if you do the percentage of posters vs. BFPs on that thread, it's probably still pretty low, but it always seemed like a lucky thread to me. :)

No...don't really feel pregnant. Had some cramps last week that my sister told me were normal and I'm super bloated, that's it. Both my sisters had horrible morning sickness with all their pregnancies, so I'm kinda just waiting for that to hit....although it would sure be nice if it didn't!

How's pregnancy treating you? Have you had a scan yet?

Welcome to all the new ladies! So nice to have so many of you to share this scary-exciting-frustrating experience with! :) Ok....so I have a question for everyone:

When are you going to tell people? Family is one thing, but the rest of the world is another. I'm not really looking forward to telling acquaintances and then having them look me up and down to see if they can see 'the bump' or not lol. I'm tempted to wait until it's really obvious...is that wrong and self-centered? Probably. lol

Also, how/when are you going to tell people at work? Again, since I'm guessing I won't show prominently for awhile, I'm tempted to hold out as long as possible. My boss is a dude, and I'm really not looking forward to having the whole 'maternity' discussion.

Anyway...just curious what you ladies thought........happy hump day!

PS: high fives to all the Cali ladies -- I was born and raised in L.A., and I'm totally missing the SoCal weather right now!

Ok, I'm gonna stop hogging the board now....promise. :D

Hi Ladies,
I am 34 and size 24 UK. I am 5/6 pregnant and just atarted spotting with some light crumping. I am going crazy scared because this time last year my MMC started.
Can someone help?

My name is Rachael! I am ttcal. I am a size 26 and weigh 290. I would have been due in late March / early April

Welcome to all the new ladies! So nice to have so many of you to share this scary-exciting-frustrating experience with! :) Ok....so I have a question for everyone:

When are you going to tell people? Family is one thing, but the rest of the world is another. I'm not really looking forward to telling acquaintances and then having them look me up and down to see if they can see 'the bump' or not lol. I'm tempted to wait until it's really obvious...is that wrong and self-centered? Probably. lol

Also, how/when are you going to tell people at work? Again, since I'm guessing I won't show prominently for awhile, I'm tempted to hold out as long as possible. My boss is a dude, and I'm really not looking forward to having the whole 'maternity' discussion.

Anyway...just curious what you ladies thought........happy hump day!

I'm still having a hard time deciding when to tell people... I've told the family and they are thrilled and I've told a few close friends but most people don't know and honestly the more I think about it the less I want to tell people. The people who matter know and those who don't matter will find out somehow I guess. My mom and MIL are bursting at the seams to tell everyone in the world but I told them they have to wait until 12 weeks (which is tomorrow!!!) so I'm sure either way it will get around.

With work I had to tell them very early on because I was having some spotting and was at the Dr. a lot and was put on VERY light duty work, to the point if I worked too much they were going to put me on bedrest!!! I only told the the chief of my office, my boss, my supervisor and the lead supervisor in my office but the whole office found out of course! Even though I asked the supervisors to keep it to themselves!! Kinda irritating actually but I guess it would get out sometime. Either way my job is great so it'll work out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->