pre xmas mummies-what are you doing about visitors and baby at xmas?

B

Belle25

So we are going down to my OHs families this year.
And it would seem OHs mum has been sending out the invites out to a fair few people to come around to see us.

Baby will be about 4 weeks old, and I am breastfeeding, so not sure how I feel about lots of visitors having just had a baby and them all wanting to hold her, when baby will probably want feeding all the time.:dohh:

What are you pre xmas mummies doing about xmas and people wanting to see the baby?
xx

I feel the same way. I'm due December 1st and I will be breastfeeding as well. In fact, the first time that I take the LO out will be Christmas Eve so we can be with his family and then my family is coming over the next day. I'm not really looking forward to it, but it's only immediate family and I can deal with that just as long as they're not sick and wash their hands before touching the baby. :wacko:

We're having a very quiet christmas just the 4 of us :). Will visit inlaws on christmas eve, will see my mum on christmas morning cos shes working on christmas day anyway and will have a meal with her on boxing day, then visit my dad on the 27th.

our baby will only be about a month old so really it depends on how i am feeling, how the baby is doing and what DH and i feel like doing. I think if we celebrate Xmas at the in-law's then it will be just family but it could well be that we decide we just want to stay home and relax. If they don't like it they will just have to live with it lol

I am feeling under pressure to be well enough and ok with whoever they have invited around to see baby now :-( argh!

Don't want to the stress or to feel rude!
xx

i think it's rude to invite everyone to see YOUR baby without even asking you first how you feel about that.

i think it's rude to invite everyone to see YOUR baby without even asking you first how you feel about that.

Think they are excited, but we did say we don;t want many visitors...
will talk to my OH about it tonight, as its stressing me!
xx

We plan on heading back to the town my parents and FIL live in and will divide our time between them, it's what we always do, I love a big family Christmas! My dad is unwell with cancer so hoping baby here in time to make thus one extra special for him, he's always wanted a granddaughter :) he's got such a special bond with W too that want him to share the excitement of Christmas with him!

My dad is unwell with cancer so hoping baby here in time to make thus one extra special for him, he's always wanted a granddaughter :) he's got such a special bond with W too that want him to share the excitement of Christmas with him!

Sorry to hear that. Same with my mom except she lives over in Europe and she can't make it over here. Now, if we lived over there, it would be different but with just the in law's here, i'd rather keep it small and cozy :)

We plan on heading back to the town my parents and FIL live in and will divide our time between them, it's what we always do, I love a big family Christmas! My dad is unwell with cancer so hoping baby here in time to make thus one extra special for him, he's always wanted a granddaughter :) he's got such a special bond with W too that want him to share the excitement of Christmas with him!

Hope you dad gets well soon :flower:
Sounds you have a nice Christmas planned
xx

Think they are excited, but we did say we don;t want many visitors...
will talk to my OH about it tonight, as its stressing me!
xx

of course everyone is excited but you guys come first and everyone else (outside the immediate family) can see the baby a little later when you are less stressed out about it :flower:

we are staying at home,mil and fil are staying over christmas.
people are welcome to pop over for couple hours.

I'm due the 13th but went 12 days over with my last pregnancy so we are refusing to make any plans and will take the day as it comes!
If I were you I would speak to mil about your concerns and if she isn't very understanding then I wouldn't go. Having said that by 4 weeks with my lo I was comfortable with feeding etc, the only thing I found was after a big family gathering where everyone wanted to hold her awake or asleep that the next few days would be difficult to settle baby to sleep in the moses basket as she wanted to be held!

We're going to DH's parents Christmas Eve - they only live about 10 minutes away. Will try to manage as best as possible, but I feel like at that time, I will be doing what's best for me and baby. So if that means hiding out in DH's old bedroom all night sleeping, that's what I do! My inlaws will totally understand and will want me to do what I need to - even if that means a short visit. DH and my mother-in-law will totally fuss over me and the little guy, and after some recent losses in the family, I will let her do what makes her happy - as long as baby is happy!!!

On Christmas Day, we're driving out to my parents (about 40 minutes away), and I plan on doing the exact same thing. We lost my paternal Grandfather a month ago, so my baby has become even more of an angel from God to my father, so I would really just like to celebrate the fact that I will be with my family and everyone is happy and healthy.

I really want to be around my family and my inlaws. Only immediate family members will be there and if anyone is sick, they are paranoid enough to not come around baby.

I know it will be hard, but I'm determined to be with family.

hi i think the idea of having everyone over for xmas is a lovely idea but thats just it, the reality of it is you may well feel overwhelmed talk to your other half about it , its a shame the invites have all ready been sent it would have been considerate to run it by you first i think, mil etc get a bit carried away with all the excitement but dont let it rail road you:thumbup:

If baby on time she will be a month old so we have made it known that whilst Grandparents are welcome Christmas day morning the remainder of the day will be just the 3 of us. We are having a buffet on boxing day so we can see my brother and his family and then spending New Years eve down the road with very close friends and New years day with DH family. All fine by me, think will cope just fine with that xxx

We actually have plans to go out of town on Christmas, but if we don't then we'll be going to my grandmother's and my sisters most likely. I'll be breastfeeding as well, so wehen it's time to feed the baby I'll just take him to another room and lock the door, or just pump and let someone bottle feed him. We have PLENTY of babies in my family so everyone knows the drill for breastfeeding lol

We will have Xmas with my family, grandma on Xmas eve and at my sisters Xmas dinner. Will probably have my parents, sister, nieces and MIL over Xmas morning for gifts. For me I have no problem leaving and hanging out in my or someone else's bedroom to feed the baby. I'm avoiding MIL's Xmas party as it's usually huge and fillied with strangers.

My mom will be coming out when baby is born. She's basically going to keep me company and bring me food, so no complaints there!

A week or so after baby arrives, we're having a "Mulled with Children" party for friends. We'll provide mulled wine and goodies, put Married with Children reruns on TV in the backgroun, and it will be a baby meet and greet. I can deal better with one busy afternoon than I can with constant visitors, so I'm hoping that will keep the rest of our time pretty quiet. For actual Christmas, we'll only be spending with with MIL & BIL, likely at MIL's place.

Hey Belle
Xmas can be a pain, can't it, let alone with a young baby! It's my MILs 'turn' this year - luckily my mum is so laid back about these things it doesn't bother her, but if it was the other way around (i.e. my mum's turn) I'm sure she would be all stroppy about it!

So, on Xmas Eve I've asked my parents and sister to visit us at home. They'll have to help with the cooking, but at least it's one less journey for us with a little one. They only live just over an hour away though.
Xmas day we are going to the in-laws, but I've said we'll be spending Xmas morning together as a family and will head over in the afternoon. We won't stay for long and we will be working around the baby's routine. I think it will be just immediate family, but I too plan to breastfeed so I'll just hide away upstairs when I do it (that's probably your best bet if you want some 'alone time'). Problem with MIL is that she buys MILLIONS of presents which take hours to un-wrap, plus dinner, plus table presents, plus a 'lucky dip' of cheap pressies. I just know she'll get upset if we can't do everything in one day, but I know DH will stick up for me, especially if I say I'm not up to it/too tired bless him - he's being super sensitive at the moment - let's hope it lasts!
Boxing day is usually a massive get together at my aunties house and she's REALLY keen for us to go, but I've said I don't want to be travelling too much around Xmas, especially with such a young baby. She said it doesn't matter if we turn up last minute (there is always plenty of food) but it's the sheer volume and noise with everyone talking over each other (it's mainly women) that I don't think I'll be able to cope with.

We all have to do things in life we don't want to do (I'd really like to spend Xmas day at my parents as our little boy will be their first grandchild, whilst for MIL it will be her third), but luckily it's only one day!
xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->